KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Arm

Engaged Employer

Arm

Add a Review

Arm Employee Reviews about "cambridge"

Updated Jan 13, 2021

4.1
Arm Chief Executive Officer Simon Segars
Simon Segars
Pros
  • "The company really cares about your work-life balance(in 212 reviews)

• "Cooperation in work environment(in 111 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Location not exactly in the center of Cambridge(in 71 reviews)

• "Work life balance at Arm can be difficult to balance(in 30 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Gender

This rating reflects the overall rating of Arm and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "cambridge"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Challenging work at a company that cares about its people

Oct 2, 2019 - Senior Engineering Manager in Waltham, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

At Arm we have the benefit of working interesting problems and pushing to deliver into competitive markets, while in a culture that earnestly strives to invest in people and their development and happiness.

Cons

Sometimes the company still struggles with its rapid growth and can be a bit Cambridge-centric

3 people found this review helpful

Global Talent Brand Manager

We appreciate the review and your observations on the infrastructure of a rapidly growing business.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great people, great culture, great working environment

Jul 25, 2019 - Graduate Research Engineer in Waltham, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've been working at Arm for about a year now. I've been given the opportunities needed to make significant contributions to the projects I've been involved in. Everyone in the office is friendly. The hours you are in the office are quite flexible. The building is great and is located 30 minutes from downtown Cambridge/Boston.

Cons

The Boston (Waltham) office is a bit of a satellite office (~50 employees), so that could be a downside depending on what sort of workplace you prefer. There are fewer female employees working here than I would like to expect (~15% of total).

24 people found this review helpful

Global Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to review your working environment in Boston – it’s important we hear from everyone. We couldn’t agree with you more on the gender diversity point – globally it’s an industry-wide challenge. The good news is, we are committed to ensuring Arm is both a diverse and inclusive workplace for everyone. As a result of this commitment 36% of all new starters in the USA so far this fiscal are women. We continue to focus on attraction and retention initiatives in support of this. Recently, one of our female Senior Software Engineers from Arm Boston joined us at the Grace Hopper Conference in Florida – supporting our attraction efforts. We are also working together on an internal engagement programme to support the active Women’s Network and build on our Inclusion Matters Programme, where we provide unconscious bias training. Whilst we have a great ambassador network, we are always keen to have others join us. We are all responsible for contributing to an inclusive and diverse working environment- If you’d like to learn more about how you can contribute, please take a look at the Community and Inclusion posts on Yammer for more details :)

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Smart people- decent work (a good mix of complex vs. simple challanges)

Jul 30, 2019 - Staff Engineer in Waltham, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Best part of working at Arm is that it's a good people-oriented company. Good compensation/vacations: Good work-life balance

Cons

Waltham location Personally, I'd have loved Arm even more if the office were in Cambridge/MA or in a cooler Boston area. Remote site of Arm: Not possible for everyone to be connected to headquarters/other big offices around the world.

1 person found this review helpful

Global Talent Brand Manager

We agree - it's all about the people. Thanks for taking the time out to leave a review :)

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great workplace

Oct 17, 2017 - Principal Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I'm a recent hire who joined within this calendar year. This review is from my perspective as an experienced hire in a high profile group within ARM . My experience here so far has been very positive. This began during the interview process. I had a great rapport with my interviewers, all of whom were in senior roles to mine, and who are all now my colleagues. My first set of responsibilities set me up to demonstrate my strongest skills, which worked in my favor because I was able to be very productive from the outset, and delivered significant results within my first three months. This has in turn elevated me to further responsibilities. The onboarding process here was quite nice, with the Big Picture, and subsequently an opportunity to visit colleagues at Cambridge HQ whom I'd worked with. I've found the work stimulating, and the workplace environment a friendly and enjoyable place to be. Pay is quite competitive, and in my own experience, the range data on Glassdoor is disconnected from reality. The company is small enough that at least at this level, you feel that your role is significant, rather than being another cog in the machine.

Cons

The company is small but growing fast. Some things can be a little disorganized. A little patience goes a long way, because they really do try to fix things quickly, and there's no malice intended. It's nice to see that feedback for improvement doesn't disappear into a black hole.

Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for your feedback! Fiona

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Love working at Arm!

Oct 17, 2017 - Global Talent Acquisition Partner in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Warm welcoming environment, extremely flexible work/life balance, challenging, exciting work, empowered to make an impact, very minimal politics, engaging and transparent senior leadership, globally connected with peers at all levels around the world, a diverse & inclusive culture, many opportunities to work on different projects and with different groups/teams, excellent rewards package, outstanding benefits - best I have ever seen, every employee globally was just given an annual $8500 gift to use towards personal development, well being and family - encouraging each of us to invest in ourselves, try that new hobby, something you've always dreamed of doing - your choice, The Austin office has an incredible farm to table café with video games, foosball, ping pong, + a Starbucks cafe, IT help bar, walking trails, soccer fields, basketball court, gym, etc. and the friendliest facilities team you'll ever find welcoming you to Arm. Smartest engineers ever, doing amazing things, and an ecosystem of working with our partners in a humble culture, which is innovative and bursting the boundaries on what's possible for our future. I could go on and on! I've seen the Cambridge office (rated #2 in the UK on Glassdoor by the way) and the San Jose office as well, and have peers in China, India, Israel, Finland, France and more and all seem to love Arm as much as I do. I'm only 4 months in, but I already know that I will grow leaps and bounds here (I already have) and that this will be my home for years to come. And this role is not my last here, there is so much opportunity to stretch yourself out of your comfort zone. I know I've made the best career decision in joining Arm and highly recommend.

Cons

Because of our partnering ecosystem we don't have our name out there as much as other technology companies, because even though Arm technology enables 99% of the mobile devices out there, we empower our partners to be successful, so it is there name on the devices. But hopefully as we build our newest org out - the IoT space - our brand will be more recognized.

5 people found this review helpful

Employer Brand Manager

Thank you so much for leaving a review, it's been an absolute pleasure to read and i for one, feel the warm welcoming environment every time i come over to the Austin Office! Fiona Employer Brand Manager

6. 3.0
      Former Employee

Great at Processors; Not at other stuff;

Oct 18, 2008 - Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very good benefits (you start off with 4 weeks of vacation). Lots of focus on people development; Quite open to people moving across the company to different roles; It is the market leader in processor IP and the brand really helps in other markets as well. A truly global company. They give young people early chance to succeed.

Cons

If you're not based in Cambridge (UK), you're out of the loop. It's a very political company. And senior executives push their boys onto the big stage. Suddenly out of nowhere, you'll see young and very smart (but woefully unprepared) people being thrust into senior positions. Or mediocre people out of Cambridge sent to fill key roles in the satellite offices.

8 people found this review helpful
    7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Company with great growth potential

Oct 22, 2017 - CPU Performance Engineer in Chandler, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Not as much bureaucracy when it comes to technical documents and access to information. There's not as much questioning of "what's business need to know" when looking for information. On-boarding orientation process includes a "Big Picture" event where they try to convey the big picture of ARM's business and how it works. Free flavored sparkling water (La Croix), coffee, tea provided. No free soda (might be a con) though which may increase personal health. Choice of MacBook or Thinkpad. Covered garage parking provided. Ping pong table, foosball table in breakroom. Many employees get a chance to travel to Cambridge for business. Opportunities to attend 1 or 2 technical conferences for free. There are many internal ARM conferences that people may attend. Most are located in Cambridge, UK.

Cons

IT department is not staffed well. You can submit a ticket for a problem you're having, but it's not guaranteed that you'll get your problem fixed. Oftentimes, you need to fix things yourself. Minimal office amenities at the Chandler office site. No gym or shower facilities.

8. 4.0
      Current Employee

Enjoyable, but always "on the outside" if you are not in Cambridge

Mar 31, 2011 -  in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

five weeks of vacation! sabbatical every four years holidays you typically don't get in the US (Easter, Boxing Day, etc) you deal with EVERYONE in the semiconductor industry while Cambridge-centric for advancement, it is a fairly global company for its size Opportunity to move around between jobs

Cons

If you aren't in Cambridge advancement can be difficult raises tend to be small regardless of the company's success quite of few people at the exec level are just there because they were at ARM early on, and not really qualified to take ARM to the next level general impression of tightness with money - the silly things like not having projectors in meetings rooms with customers, limited paper/pens, very tight office space can make the place feel a little stressful at times although that has improved somewhat the past few years

2 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

ARM was a friendly, supportive and professional place to work.

Sep 12, 2013 - Product Usage Analyst in San Jose, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

ARM is a very balanced company in many ways. ARM has grown to be a mid-sized company, but retains the spirit and flexibility usually associated with start-ups. Upper management changed the structure of the business several times while I was there without replacing all the executives. This was done not in desperation, but to meet the needs of the changing economy by putting people in the best places to keep the company moving forward. It weathered the downturn better than most companies thanks to that kind of agility. The atmosphere is professional, but the doors to the VP's offices were most often open and they invited interaction. A look around the office any time would show signs of the company's fun side. Employees had a lot of latitude to get creative when celebrating holidays from around the world or engaging in spirited contests. Work-life balance is valued at ARM even while hard work is expected. The benefits package is generous in my opinion. I would recommend ARM highly as a great place to work.

Cons

Being a British owned company, ARM sometimes had difficulty bridging the gap between British and American business cultures. On several occasions upper management insisted upon doing things in the US offices the same way they do it in Cambridge when it didn't make sense or wasn't necessary. These kinds of decisions were met with grumbles which took a toll on morale. Upper management's loyalty to other management staff was admirable, but had a down side. They held on to people who were not a good fit for their positions which caused some very good people to leave the company.

10. 3.0
      Former Employee

Great benefits, good brand name

Sep 13, 2009 - Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Benefits - very good vacation (can even sell back 1 week), 6% 401 K match, very good stock grants. Good brand and relationship with other companies, opportunities to get info on ARM and partners good opportunities for training etc

Cons

Not all sites/divisions are good places to work at Very political, some individuals have undue influence, it is a very us vs them kind of place Need to stay on good side of Cambridge people cooperate services like HR, IT, legal are not friendly , even your boss's boss can not help you with them Real communication with management is very week, can be very bureaucratic

3 people found this review helpful
    Viewing 1 - 10 of 84 Reviews
    </>Embed

Popular Careers with Arm Job Seekers

Software Engineer
    JobsSalariesInterviews
    Senior Software Engineer (Treasure Data)
    Design Verification Engineer