Arm "cambridge" Reviews | Glassdoor

Arm Employee Reviews about "cambridge"

Updated 21 Oct 2019

4.2
Arm CEO Simon Segars
Simon Segars
Pros
Cons
  • "HQ is at Cambridge so for some this may be a downside compared to living in London for example as it is much smaller(in 64 reviews)

• "Work/life balance might be tricky in some positions although may not be a problem if you enjoy what you are doing(in 26 reviews)

Reviews about "cambridge"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Challenging work at a company that cares about its people"

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

At Arm we have the benefit of working interesting problems and pushing to deliver into competitive markets, while in a culture that earnestly strives to invest in people and their development and happiness.

Cons

Sometimes the company still struggles with its rapid growth and can be a bit Cambridge-centric

Arm2019-10-02

"Great people, great culture, great working environment"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Engineer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been working at Arm for about a year now. I've been given the opportunities needed to make significant contributions to the projects I've been involved in. Everyone in the office is friendly. The hours you are in the office are quite flexible. The building is great and is located 30 minutes from downtown Cambridge/Boston.

Cons

The Boston (Waltham) office is a bit of a satellite office (~50 employees), so that could be a downside depending on what sort of workplace you prefer. There are fewer female employees working here than I would like to expect (~15% of total).

Arm2019-07-25
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Smart people- decent work (a good mix of complex vs. simple challanges)"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Best part of working at Arm is that it's a good people-oriented company. Good compensation/vacations: Good work-life balance

Cons

Waltham location Personally, I'd have loved Arm even more if the office were in Cambridge/MA or in a cooler Boston area. Remote site of Arm: Not possible for everyone to be connected to headquarters/other big offices around the world.

Arm2019-07-30

"Love working at Arm!"

Current Employee - Global Talent Acquisition Partner in Austin, TX

I have been working at Arm full-time for less than a year

Pros

Warm welcoming environment, extremely flexible work/life balance, challenging, exciting work, empowered to make an impact, very minimal politics, engaging and transparent senior leadership, globally connected with peers at all levels around the world, a diverse & inclusive culture, many opportunities to work on different projects and with different groups/teams, excellent rewards package, outstanding benefits - best... I have ever seen, every employee globally was just given an annual $8500 gift to use towards personal development, well being and family - encouraging each of us to invest in ourselves, try that new hobby, something you've always dreamed of doing - your choice, The Austin office has an incredible farm to table café with video games, foosball, ping pong, + a Starbucks cafe, IT help bar, walking trails, soccer fields, basketball court, gym, etc. and the friendliest facilities team you'll ever find welcoming you to Arm. Smartest engineers ever, doing amazing things, and an ecosystem of working with our partners in a humble culture, which is innovative and bursting the boundaries on what's possible for our future. I could go on and on! I've seen the Cambridge office (rated #2 in the UK on Glassdoor by the way) and the San Jose office as well, and have peers in China, India, Israel, Finland, France and more and all seem to love Arm as much as I do. I'm only 4 months in, but I already know that I will grow leaps and bounds here (I already have) and that this will be my home for years to come. And this role is not my last here, there is so much opportunity to stretch yourself out of your comfort zone. I know I've made the best career decision in joining Arm and highly recommend.

Cons

Because of our partnering ecosystem we don't have our name out there as much as other technology companies, because even though Arm technology enables 99% of the mobile devices out there, we empower our partners to be successful, so it is there name on the devices. But hopefully as we build our newest org out - the IoT space - our brand will be more recognized.

Advice to Management

Keep believing in and investing in your people, continue with your open door policy and transparency - you're doing all the right things. Couldn't be happier. :)

Arm2017-10-18
  6. "Great workplace"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Arm full-time for less than a year

Pros

I'm a recent hire who joined within this calendar year. This review is from my perspective as an experienced hire in a high profile group within ARM . My experience here so far has been very positive. This began during the interview process. I had a great rapport with my interviewers, all of whom were in senior roles to mine, and who are all now my colleagues. My first set of responsibilities set me up to... demonstrate my strongest skills, which worked in my favor because I was able to be very productive from the outset, and delivered significant results within my first three months. This has in turn elevated me to further responsibilities. The onboarding process here was quite nice, with the Big Picture, and subsequently an opportunity to visit colleagues at Cambridge HQ whom I'd worked with. I've found the work stimulating, and the workplace environment a friendly and enjoyable place to be. Pay is quite competitive, and in my own experience, the range data on Glassdoor is disconnected from reality. The company is small enough that at least at this level, you feel that your role is significant, rather than being another cog in the machine.

Cons

The company is small but growing fast. Some things can be a little disorganized. A little patience goes a long way, because they really do try to fix things quickly, and there's no malice intended. It's nice to see that feedback for improvement doesn't disappear into a black hole.

Advice to Management

Make bonus/incentive pay bi-annual or quarterly, not annual. We depend on having a small but competent group of engineers to devise our IP. Compensation needs to remain strong in order to attract and retain them, and not lose any important people at critical times in a fast moving industry.

Arm2017-10-17
  7. "Company with great growth potential"

Current Employee - CPU Performance Engineer in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than a year

Pros

Not as much bureaucracy when it comes to technical documents and access to information. There's not as much questioning of "what's business need to know" when looking for information. On-boarding orientation process includes a "Big Picture" event where they try to convey the big picture of ARM's business and how it works. Free flavored sparkling water (La Croix), coffee, tea provided. No free soda (might be... a con) though which may increase personal health. Choice of MacBook or Thinkpad. Covered garage parking provided. Ping pong table, foosball table in breakroom. Many employees get a chance to travel to Cambridge for business. Opportunities to attend 1 or 2 technical conferences for free. There are many internal ARM conferences that people may attend. Most are located in Cambridge, UK.

Cons

IT department is not staffed well. You can submit a ticket for a problem you're having, but it's not guaranteed that you'll get your problem fixed. Oftentimes, you need to fix things yourself. Minimal office amenities at the Chandler office site. No gym or shower facilities.

Arm2017-10-22
  8. "ARM was a friendly, supportive and professional place to work."

Former Employee - Product Usage Analyst in San Jose, CA

I worked at Arm full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

ARM is a very balanced company in many ways. ARM has grown to be a mid-sized company, but retains the spirit and flexibility usually associated with start-ups. Upper management changed the structure of the business several times while I was there without replacing all the executives. This was done not in desperation, but to meet the needs of the changing economy by putting people in the best places to keep the... company moving forward. It weathered the downturn better than most companies thanks to that kind of agility. The atmosphere is professional, but the doors to the VP's offices were most often open and they invited interaction. A look around the office any time would show signs of the company's fun side. Employees had a lot of latitude to get creative when celebrating holidays from around the world or engaging in spirited contests. Work-life balance is valued at ARM even while hard work is expected. The benefits package is generous in my opinion. I would recommend ARM highly as a great place to work.

Cons

Being a British owned company, ARM sometimes had difficulty bridging the gap between British and American business cultures. On several occasions upper management insisted upon doing things in the US offices the same way they do it in Cambridge when it didn't make sense or wasn't necessary. These kinds of decisions were met with grumbles which took a toll on morale. Upper management's loyalty to other management... staff was admirable, but had a down side. They held on to people who were not a good fit for their positions which caused some very good people to leave the company.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to keep on working to place everyone in the best position to use their talents to the full, and to be sensitive to the needs of the US employees.

Arm2013-09-12

"Big company but very little dead weight"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is the largest company I've worked for but the engineering and marketing staff are all very intelligent and productive. Benefits are top notch.

Cons

Legal department is understaffed and hyper conservative when it comes to open source because of their IP business. Lots of red-tape. IT is conservative but needfully so I suppose. Working outside the mothership (Cambridge) makes us a bit 2nd class citizens unless you're willing to travel to Europe and APAC frequently.

Arm2013-03-16

"Enjoyable, but always "on the outside" if you are not in Cambridge"

in Austin, TX

I have been working at Arm

Pros

five weeks of vacation! sabbatical every four years holidays you typically don't get in the US (Easter, Boxing Day, etc) you deal with EVERYONE in the semiconductor industry while Cambridge-centric for advancement, it is a fairly global company for its size Opportunity to move around between jobs

Cons

If you aren't in Cambridge advancement can be difficult raises tend to be small regardless of the company's success quite of few people at the exec level are just there because they were at ARM early on, and not really qualified to take ARM to the next level general impression of tightness with money - the silly things like not having projectors in meetings rooms with customers, limited paper/pens, very tight... office space can make the place feel a little stressful at times although that has improved somewhat the past few years

Advice to Management

Be honest with yourself and cut some of the nonprofitable divisions

Arm2011-03-31
  11. "Decent place to work"

Network Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Arm

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits, and good people to work with.

Cons

There's no redundancy in positions, so one may feel a sense of isolation or abandonment when working at a remote site. Also, given that the US offices were considered as remote offices to the headquarters in Cambridge, UK, there was a heavy "me versus them" kind of mentality going on. Lack of or poor communications from upper management.

Advice to Management

Hire more people.

Arm2010-10-20