Armed Forces Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Paul Holewinski

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Part-time scheduling works well for full time students (in 3 reviews)

• Schedule is rotating so I can still make plans, great Management and Co-workers (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay and if you're new to full time expect to not have your vacation time when you want it (in 5 reviews)

• Their customer service is awful which leads to many customers coming into the branch already upset at the company (in 3 reviews)

1. "Personal banker"

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Fort Leonard Wd, MO
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Fort Leonard Wd, MO

I have been working at Armed Forces Bank part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great hours, great management, love coworkers

Cons

Closing down the bank in the px

Advice to Management

Stay awesome!

2. "Working at AFB"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

At my location in Nevada the pros were:

1) understanding/ kind boss

2) kind coworkers

Working at my location was a challenge, but the pros almost outweighed the cons. My former boss was a wonderful and understanding woman who did all she could for her employees. She was giving and understanding. My coworkers for the most part were really kind. They really tried to make me feel comfortable working there and to honestly be my friend.

Cons

For my location in NV here are the cons:

1) incredibly under employed

2) incredibly busy

3)underemployed

4) low hours

My location was incredibly busy and it was really hard to keep up with the amount of work because of the underemployment. Because this is a military exclusive bank, only people with a connection to the military can access the bank so it makes the staff ever changing. With the amount of people coming and going it's hard to maintain the never ending work which makes working here more difficult. The company needs to give their tellers a break by hiring more people. Often there's only 2 people on the floor as tellers when in reality there needs to be 3 or 4.

Advice to Management

Please pay your employees more or at least hire more people

3. "Great coworkers, Bad company"

I have been working at Armed Forces Bank part-time

Pros

The only pro was the people I worked with.

Cons

The company is one of the lowest paying out there. They are constantly changing their policies and procedures. Their customer service is awful which leads to many customers coming into the branch already upset at the company.

4. "Personal banker RBR"

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Fort Riley, KS
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Fort Riley, KS

I worked at Armed Forces Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They arw willing to train you with no prior banking knowledge and give you room to grow due to so many people constantly leaving the company. This is mainly due to the majority of these banks being located on or near military bases and their employees constantly coming and going. You also can earn sale incentives based on how many accounts and services you can sell and open each month and if you are willing to learn, you are able to learn most aspects in the banking field here.

Cons

The pay increases are very small each year. The compay is also somewhat disorganized with cross training.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to better cross train your employees and give them more responsibilities.

5. "Personal banker"

I worked at Armed Forces Bank part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to learn a little bit of everything.. basic teller transactions loans and getting experience in everthing in between

Cons

7 days a week and with no consistency in scheduling

6. "."

I have been working at Armed Forces Bank full-time

Pros

I had a great team most of the time

Cons

not alot of support from higher ups

7. "Armed Forces Bank is a "Resume Job""

Pros

Armed Forces Bank provides a great opportunity for individuals who have no prior banking experience. Armed Forces Bank often accepts people in entry level positions with no prior banking experience. This is a "Resume Job" to get the experience you need in order to excel in the banking field and move forward later down the line with a more reputable company. I have acquired a lot of knowledge and skills from working here that I know I will be able to use at another financial institution. If you are looking to start a career in banking, this is a great start. Schedule works great for people interested in either working a 2nd job or looking to have a job that can work around a school schedule.

Cons

The pay is the absolute lowest in the banking industry. Centers open 7 days a week with extended hours offer a very poor work/life balance, especially for managers who are required to be on call. The company doesn't put enough effort into one of their most important assets, which are their employees. I have been with the company for almost 8 years and will be moving on now that I have the banking experience necessary in order to work at a bank I can actually have a career with. The turn over rate is extremely high due to people leaving to banks that pay more and have better employee ratings once they gain banking experience from Armed Forces Bank.

Advice to Management

Find a way to budget in higher compensation for employees. With higher compensation, you can hire more qualified candidates retain more great employees. Employees can actually consider a possible career with Armed Forces Bank if a competitive pay scale was offered. Find a way to put less stress on the management team in branches. Offer self-development classes to managers so they can manage branches better. Find a way to let employees feel appreciated, and understood. Reviews are extremely low and pretty consistent with pros and cons on job sites. Pay attention to these reviews and work on fixing problems that are consistently spoken about.

"Wouldn't recommend."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Armed Forces Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, generous paid holidays and PTO.

Cons

Very little respect for personal time. During on-call shifts (every four weeks), I was awakened every night (often multiple times), plus on weekends worked full days (8 a.m. - 5 p.m.) at home handling incoming issues, all with no compensation whatsoever - neither extra pay nor time off during regular business hours. (There were many times when I showed up at work having had three hours of sleep the night before because of incoming issues.)

I didn't agree with their business model, either - too many surcharges for petty things. (They offer checking accounts to all employees, but few actually used it as their main personal account.)

Advice to Management

Enforce 'emergency only' rule for on-call shifts; compensate for time worked during off hours - especially overnight time.

9. "CSR"

I worked at Armed Forces Bank full-time

Pros

hard to get fired

Cons

no one knows what they are doing

Advice to Management

start over

10. "It was okay job."

Former Employee - Personal Banker
    Former Employee - Personal Banker

I worked at Armed Forces Bank part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can learn the basics of banking business. 401k, health care.

Cons

Very outdated computer/banking system. No career opportunity.