Armstrong Atlantic State University Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Armstrong Atlantic State University President Linda M. Bleicken
Linda M. Bleicken

1. "Admissions Officer/Degree Program Assistant-Liberty Center"

Current Employee - Admissions Officer in Hinesville, GA
    Current Employee - Admissions Officer in Hinesville, GA

I have been working at Armstrong Atlantic State University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff and faculty are amazing individuals!
    Benefit package
    Tuition Assistance Program-qualify for after 6 months.
    Addition to the Savannah, GA campus
    Great for military affiliated individuals.

Cons

Low pay for the amount of work done in Admissions.

2. "Peer Mentor"

Former Employee - Peer Mentor in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Peer Mentor in Savannah, GA

I worked at Armstrong Atlantic State University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for some of the best people, they were brilliant, helpful, and passionate about their jobs.

Cons

Not enough hours! Should probably rethink the aim programs spreadsheet.

Advice to Management

Peer mentoring should be offered to alumni as well as current students.

3. "Great job for students"

Current Employee - Help Desk Technician in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Help Desk Technician in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Armstrong Atlantic State University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They'll work around your schedule for the large part if you're a student. If you're a full time you have slightly less flexibility but they're still incredibly understanding. Laid back for the large part and fairly stress free.

Cons

Help desk is a bit disorganized, though I believe they are currently in the process of revamping it.

Advice to Management

Help desk student workers need a proper introduction and training on faculty/staff specific services. I get issues about software and services I have never heard of and pretty much have to figure out what they're talking about on the spot.

5. "Math tutor"

Former Employee - Mathematics Tutor in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Mathematics Tutor in Savannah, GA

I worked at Armstrong Atlantic State University (More than a year)

Pros

Diverse body of students to work with. Access to students for private tutoring work.

Cons

I did not experience any drawbacks, here.

6. "A Good Place to Work"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Katy, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Katy, TX

I worked at Armstrong Atlantic State University (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly and professional environment; very diverse in age range; student focused/driven.

Cons

Pay scale could be better for hourly staff.

Advice to Management

More focus should be given to annual salary increases for hourly staff who work very hard and diligently.

"Avoid"

Former Employee - Nursing Student in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Nursing Student in Houston, TX

I worked at Armstrong Atlantic State University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great campus life, great scenery, good mix of students, there are a few teachers that really care, the common area is nice.

Cons

Little advisement with classes, had over 180 credit hours earned and could not get a degree, difficult to reach advisors, deadlines are not posted for programs and when asking department heads they don't know either

Advice to Management

Spend more time looking out for students

8. "Complete Overhaul.."

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Savannah, GA

I worked at Armstrong Atlantic State University (Less than a year)

Pros

The location was the best attribute when working at AASU.

Cons

Pay
    Morale
    Not a place I would consider working longer than 1 year.

Advice to Management

You are doing more damage by staying. Please consider retiring to allow the campus to flourish!

9. "Unethical and fraudulent practices"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA

I worked at Armstrong Atlantic State University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great weather, beautiful campus, competent admin staff.

Cons

Narcissistic President was indifferent to interests or needs of students and staff. Interested in her own perpetuity. Chronic termination of competent loyal staff without justification- those staff people who would not participate in/or cover up of misappropriation and malfeasance of government funds.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the President. Duh!

10. "Great environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA

I worked at Armstrong Atlantic State University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Armstrong for four years and enjoyed it. The people was great to work with and flexible time off. Very beautiful campus.

Cons

Salaries were very low but made up for it in time off and benefits. Making changes were very hard to do because of the bureaucracy within the organization. Turnover rate in some departments were very high because of the low wages. A result of the high turnover, as employees left, the ones left behind had to pickup the slack with no increase in salaries. Focus of the organization is on the Students and Faculty, while the Staff is often overlooked.

"Staff are not a priority"

Current Employee - Support Staff in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Support Staff in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Armstrong Atlantic State University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, beautiful campus, generally nice people.

Cons

Staff are definitely made to feel they are inferior to administrators, faculty, and students. The Staff Council is a joke; they toe the company line and do charitable work. They have not done a single thing since their inception to improve conditions for staff, because the group is run by an administrator. There is no upward mobility. The only way to improve one's lot is to apply for a better-paying job, which half the time goes to an outsider. Budget shortfalls have resulted in more and more work being piled on the same handful of staff members. When attempts are made to hire more staff, the faculty throws fits because they want the money spent on them. Good people have been let go on a moment's notice, some of whom had worked here 20+ years. The reason given? "Reorganization." Then the positions stand empty for months and those staff members who are left must pick up the slack. If we do well picking up the slack, they never hire anyone else; it becomes part of our jobs, but with no added compensation.

Advice to Management

Your staff are your most important assets. Treat us well. I'd like to see the university function one day without us. If we take on more duties and work hard, reward us by reclassifying our jobs and giving us more money. Don't leave us out when you make speeches; this university is more than "faculty and students." Don't fire people on the whim of a consultant who studies things for two weeks. Pay attention to the rapidity with which you lose top administrators and take a lesson from it; the rate of attrition there is horrendous. Don't blame administrators for economic and other factors that are out of their control. Instead, look at how hard they are working to try to accomplish the goals you've set. Pay attention to moral, particularly among staff.