Armstrong Garden Centers Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 7, 2017

Michael Kunce
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Overall about the company"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I have been working at Armstrong Garden Centers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a very relaxing environment. Months from February to July are very busy months which means a lot of overtime.

Cons

It's hard to move up in the company especially if you're a part timer like me. Month of August the hours start to decline until next January.

May 26, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Dear Fellow Associate,
    We appreciate you taking the opportunity to reach out on Glassdoor regarding your experience. I would welcome a direct call from you regarding your concerns about personal... More

"Highly restrictive"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Armstrong Garden Centers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you love plants and like helping people with their gardens.

Cons

Very difficult to perform optimally during busy times with phones to be answered, customer questions, and long lines of people whose sales you must ring up. Green shirts handle all that. Consider being a brown shirt if you don't like time pressure and extreme multi-tasking.

Advice to Management

The pay is too low considering the expertise required.

May 26, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Dear Former Associate,
    We take the comments made on site very seriously and look to always grown and improve our company. As employee owners, we work very hard to serve our customer and continue to... More

"Not bad"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Armstrong Garden Centers (Less than a year)

Pros

coworkers are very friendly. Everyone seems to know each other, even at different store locations.

Cons

employees, especially managers get moved around to different locations constantly. There is a lot of miscommunication between the retail stores and the corporate office. Never felt like I could really get a career going here.

Advice to Management

be more tentative to customer complaints and common manager concerns. Managers practically give their lives while working here.

Oct 24, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to provide your insight and thoughts. We take great pride in the history of our company which is built upon a great team of Armstrong owners.

I welcome a call or... More

"Super fun job as long as you don't need $"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Armstrong Garden Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work out in the sunshine, with flowers, nice customers and friendly coworkers. There are opportunities to be creative, learn a lot about plants, help people, and educating them can be fun and rewarding.

Cons

This is a strenuous job. You will work your tail off for no recognition and low pay. They expect you to be an expert, but as you learn and your knowledge grows, you are not compensated accordingly. You are given more and more responsibility and zero money in exchange. In slow times your hours get cut, so income is unreliable. Many salespeople have been there for several years and still make $12 an hour. The only way any of us will make more money is because of minimum wage laws. We are experts, told we are the most important and valuable people in the company but are paid as little as possible.

Advice to Management

Store managers work ridiculous hours and are always under pressure to increase sales with minimal staff. My only advice is to upper management. Treat the retail staff with more respect, pay them what they deserve. There are good, hard working, extremely knowledgable people working here, being completely taken advantage of. It makes it hard to stay. Good people don't stick around. No one likes feeling taken advantage of.

Oct 24, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

On behalf of the Armstrong team, we value all feedback and input that we receive. Our company is built upon the success of our great team and exceptional service that they provide.

I welcome a... More

"Maintenance Associate"

Pros

Friendly staff, working outside, nice work environment

Cons

Upper management, limited pay, and unflexible schedule

May 9, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Dear associate,
    I wanted to follow-up regarding your recent post on Glassdoor. I welcome any direct feedback, recommendations or suggestions that you may have regarding the details of your posting... More

"Armstrong Garden Center"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Working outside in a beautiful environment is the best reason. It really feels good to work in the fresh air and amongst the plant life. You also get some exercise in the nursery. Also, not stuck behind a desk all day. Dealing with people on an everyday business in a social environment is also very enjoyable. There are many return customers so there are some nice relationships that can develop there. Overall, the other employees are nice people who do have good intentions, although there are spats between employees once in a while, but I believe that occurs within companies everywhere.

Cons

Dealing with retail customers can be a painful experience. Also, does not pay great, and the need to work weekends.

Advice to Management

I noticed many of the employees who had worked at the nursery had animosity towards the management. Overall, the longer the employee had been there the more it seemed they complained. That is one reason I didn't want to stick around.

"Nice place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

Being outdoors, working with great customers, nice mix of personalities.

Cons

Low pay, not much incentive to give your all. Unmotivated and stagnant store managers.

Advice to Management

Make sure your regionals are like real people and not brainwashed fools.