Armstrong World Industries Reviews | Glassdoor

Armstrong World Industries CEO Victor Grizzle
Victor Grizzle
1 Rating

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management has no clear direction (in 5 reviews)

• Recent upper management has run this company into the ground and allowed it to be robbed by TPG (in 7 reviews)

"Ups and downs like any employer"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Armstrong World Industries (More than 3 years)

Pros

I LOVED my job and most of my co-workers. The hours were great.

Cons

Management is top heavy and there is a toxic atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting unqualified people to manage teams. Encourage genuine feedback and then actually listen to it. Also pay better. It's well known Armstrong is below average regarding salaries.

"Great Pay, Lots of Hours"

Former Employee - Grader in Beverly, WV
    Former Employee - Grader in Beverly, WV

I worked at Armstrong World Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is great. One of the best in the area. Nearly unlimited opportunities for over time. The job is actually pretty cool.

Cons

The overtime was mandatory (they've since rectified the situation to a much more tolerable over time alternative). But the people are still vultures. Get ready for high school and rumors and nastiness all over again. But, honestly, the management is what's wrong with the company.

Advice to Management

Really need to make sure your employees can do the job correctly. Don't listen to just the loudest complainer and assume the person being bad mouthed isn't doing their job. Do YOUR job and use your eyes and write up the ones not working properly. Everyone should be held to the same standards but that's not what's happening here.

"Don't reward loyalty"

Former Employee - Segment Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Segment Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Armstrong World Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Big company. Great benefits. Company car, laptop, printer, credit card, gas card. Flexible schedule, pretty good pay.

Cons

Top heavy. Too many managers and too much red tape to get anything accomplished. Field reps are not empowered and company is run from inside out. Field reps ideas and needs fall on deaf ears. They fail to pay their loyal long standing employees average to above average for their positions. Other manufacturers trust Armstrong's training but know they can recruit because of the lack of salary they pay. So many conference calls, fire drills and scorecards!

Advice to Management

Empower your sales people to actually sell. Pay your loyal employees more so you can keep good people instead of bringing in new people and re-training. Stop looking at your spreadsheet and listen to the people in each region as to what they need. The channels are not working. No one knows what is going on in each and no one is working together for a common goal. Pay commissions.

"good place to work"

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Macon, GA
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Macon, GA

I have been working at Armstrong World Industries full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

good place to work. the people are amazing. we know that we are part of a team, this helps a lot. Sometimes we all take break together and talk about our feelings

Cons

its too hot in the plant. we have to have lots of coolers around just to cool us down in the summer, the winters are much better but even then its still too hot

Advice to Management

I wish management would come around more often and listen to what is going on in the real world of workers. I do believe that the management team would lean more if they would listen

"Life at Armstrong"

Former Employee - Production Attendant in South Gate, CA
    Former Employee - Production Attendant in South Gate, CA

I worked at Armstrong World Industries (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay and benefits other than that its a good job with room for advancement.

Cons

Rules vary for each line. Lunch and 2 breaks. Though stressful at times and alot to learn

Advice to Management

None... Whats the point of advice if there not reading it.

"Solid Company--Way too political"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at Armstrong World Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Solid leader in its markets. Construction related products are relatively less volatile in economic ups and downs.

Cons

Politics, Politics, Politics. In many areas of the company (not all) style is valued over substance which drives horrible politics and cliques. Being a big fish in a small pond really skews people's view of the company--Armstrong tries to act bigger than it really is.

Advice to Management

The "organizational vitality" initiative is used as a weapon as often as it is a tool to develop people. Several key operations are clearly understaffed leading to shoddy work and frequent burn-out.

"Management is a joke"

Current Employee - Production Technician in Saint Helens, OR
    Current Employee - Production Technician in Saint Helens, OR

I have been working at Armstrong World Industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Schedule, friends, Pay and benefits. Training and sops are easy to follow and study so you do your job well.

Cons

People get away with not following procedurs. New workers do all the work. Old timers are lazy.

Advice to Management

Stop patting yourselfs on the back. You dont know what is happening on the floorand will never know your employees because you dont trust us.

"complete anarchy...too much money with too little direction"

Current Employee - Operator in West Plains, MO
    Current Employee - Operator in West Plains, MO

I have been working at Armstrong World Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

pays pretty well for the area

Cons

never know if you will work a full week, day, or even shift

Advice to Management

listen to employees about their ideas rather than force your own

"Overall good job,pay, and Benefits (Macon, Ga.)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Macon, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Macon, GA

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits for the work. Great communication between employees and management.

Cons

If you have low seniority it will take years to move up without being rolled off of your position. When production is low you have to stay home and draw temperary unemployment. Alot of the people that have high seniority at this plant are some of the most laziest people that I have ever came across in my life and they don't take pride in their work. I think it is sad that they take their jobs for granted which is ridiculous when there are so many people in this country out of work.

Advice to Management

New employees who actually care about their job.

"Good company but requires a lot out of its employees. Definitely not for slackers"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Lancaster, PA

Pros

You get good experience. The people are warm and caring.

Cons

Long hours. Always on feel like you have to be available all the time. They've outsourced some finance and IT functions and it makes life frustrating when you have to deal with a vendor or have an IT issue.