Armstrong World Industries Reviews | Glassdoor

Armstrong World Industries Reviews

Updated February 16, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management has no clear direction (in 5 reviews)

• No recognition environment upper management (in 7 reviews)

"Good Company, Terrible Management"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Armstrong World Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company as a whole is impressive, always work to do, fast paced environment, good employees to work with. Happy hours are a plus.

Cons

Management oversees, but does not help.
    Little to no training in the Architectural Specialties department.
    Gives no verbal or written warnings prior to termination.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect. Help them if they ask. Give them feedback, both positive and negative. Provide more training.

"HR Manager"

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Prattville, AL
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Prattville, AL

I worked at Armstrong World Industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Years of experience and manufacturing.

Cons

Company splitting into two separate companies.

Advice to Management

Golden rule

"They like to see you grin and bear it."

Pros

Nice campus. I had some really good acquaintances there. They value ideas from the outside more than most other companies but are still slow to adopt them.

Cons

This is a long standing old traditional company who has struggled to modernize. Many (but not all) leaders subscribe to the theory that you have to put your time in before you amount to anything. There is also a greaseball mentality that it's good to get up after you've been knocked down a bunch and on your way up better not show cracks. In a way this was growth but in another way it was a ruse for keeping good performing talent in a box. Top talent like myself and many others left because of this.

Advice to Management

Promote people who have the best ideas. Don't shun those who look and think differently from your boring stoic central PA selves. I mean that I the kindest way.

5. "Pensacola Plant"

Pros

I enjoy working with my peers and employees on the shop floor. The supervisors work really hard and seem to appreciate all the help I give them.

Cons

It is very hot and dusty in the plant during the summer and cold and dusty during the winter. Sometimes it take awhile to get the resources you need to complete a project.

"Great Pay, Lots of Hours"

Former Employee - Grader in Beverly, WV
    Former Employee - Grader in Beverly, WV

I worked at Armstrong World Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is great. One of the best in the area. Nearly unlimited opportunities for over time. The job is actually pretty cool.

Cons

The overtime was mandatory (they've since rectified the situation to a much more tolerable over time alternative). But the people are still vultures. Get ready for high school and rumors and nastiness all over again. But, honestly, the management is what's wrong with the company.

Advice to Management

Really need to make sure your employees can do the job correctly. Don't listen to just the loudest complainer and assume the person being bad mouthed isn't doing their job. Do YOUR job and use your eyes and write up the ones not working properly. Everyone should be held to the same standards but that's not what's happening here.

"Marketing Communications"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Lancaster, PA

Pros

I actually worked at Armstrong for 28 years, moving from administrative position into Marketing and Management. It truly was a great company to work for. Good compensation and great benefits.

Cons

Not just Armstrong but the corporate environment across the board has evolved (in somewhat of a negative way) over the years. What once was a very employee-focused company with tangible access to leadership to voice concerns is no longer.

"Don't reward loyalty"

Former Employee - Segment Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Segment Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Armstrong World Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Big company. Great benefits. Company car, laptop, printer, credit card, gas card. Flexible schedule, pretty good pay.

Cons

Top heavy. Too many managers and too much red tape to get anything accomplished. Field reps are not empowered and company is run from inside out. Field reps ideas and needs fall on deaf ears. They fail to pay their loyal long standing employees average to above average for their positions. Other manufacturers trust Armstrong's training but know they can recruit because of the lack of salary they pay. So many conference calls, fire drills and scorecards!

Advice to Management

Empower your sales people to actually sell. Pay your loyal employees more so you can keep good people instead of bringing in new people and re-training. Stop looking at your spreadsheet and listen to the people in each region as to what they need. The channels are not working. No one knows what is going on in each and no one is working together for a common goal. Pay commissions.

"National Sales Manager"

Pros

A really great place to be. Strong support and plenty of autonomy as long as you deliver on goals.

Cons

Salary is middle of pack.

Advice to Management

Reward top performers and cut out underperformers.

"Life at Armstrong"

Former Employee - Production Attendant in South Gate, CA
    Former Employee - Production Attendant in South Gate, CA

I worked at Armstrong World Industries (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay and benefits other than that its a good job with room for advancement.

Cons

Rules vary for each line. Lunch and 2 breaks. Though stressful at times and alot to learn

Advice to Management

None... Whats the point of advice if there not reading it.

"good place to work"

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Macon, GA
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Macon, GA

I have been working at Armstrong World Industries full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

good place to work. the people are amazing. we know that we are part of a team, this helps a lot. Sometimes we all take break together and talk about our feelings

Cons

its too hot in the plant. we have to have lots of coolers around just to cool us down in the summer, the winters are much better but even then its still too hot

Advice to Management

I wish management would come around more often and listen to what is going on in the real world of workers. I do believe that the management team would lean more if they would listen