Army and Air Force Exchange Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Army and Air Force Exchange CEO & Director Thomas C. Shull
Thomas C. Shull

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They made holidays fun, good benefits if you were full time (in 29 reviews)

• It was a great company to work for with great benefits (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay for the amount of work done (in 34 reviews)

• At the time I was working for AAFES it was hard to find any full time positions unless it was in management (in 27 reviews)

1. "Dan danials distribution centet"

Current Employee - Material Handler in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Hard to get fired steady paycheck

Cons

Union sucks no more Christmas bonus works us like slaves and can't buy alcohol or cigs with our Id under paid

Advice to Management

Stand and speak up for your ppl stop being a yes man

2. "Unfair hrs"

Pros

They treat their employees like crap

Cons

Wouldn't let anyone im friends with work there.

Advice to Management

Stop being fake in front of your employees.

"Not a Good Work Place"

Former Intern - E-Commerce Associate in Fort Drum, NY
    Former Intern - E-Commerce Associate in Fort Drum, NY

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

- It's easy to get a job there, since employees quit all the time.
    - Some co-workers are fun to work with.

Cons

- Salaries are atrociously low, even for specialized jobs that require more skills.
    - Most of the positions are INT, which allows the company to profit more at the employee's expenses. Most of their employees are veterans and military spouses. In their narrow vision, that's what they mean when they say they're "proud supporters of the military community". Got it?
    - Work hours can be cut down any time, for any reason the management finds convenient. If that puts you in a financial distress, it's your problem. They don't care.
    - Preferentialism and very little opportunity to grow. Whenever a full-time position is open, the manager already has someone she likes to appoint, so applying for it is just a play pretend and a waste of time. Unless, of course, you're the manager's favorite.
    - Hostile work environment in which you're reminded on a daily basis of how disposable you are. No sense of respect or appreciation for the work force at all.
    - Untrained and unprofessional management.
    - Evaluations that are solely based on the manager's prejudices and grudges, and that often do not reflect the hard work and expertise some employees bring in.
    - Toxic work environment, in which gossip, maleficence and moronic behavior from co-workers are accepted and even encouraged. The management wants it to be just like that, so making complaints will often result in retaliations like having your hours cut in half or having you removed from your department to a lesser position, instead of removing the person that is causing the problem, and so go on. They don't like it when you tell them the king is naked. I'm speaking of my own experience here, since that happened to me.

Advice to Management

Reformulate. The company can and should be so much better than this.

4. "Customer Service"

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange (More than 5 years)

Pros

Once you are employed you can always come back if you left in good standing.

Cons

Unprofessional untrustworthy management,understaffed, underpaid. One of the worst companies I have ever worked for.

"Absolute bottom of the barrel"

Former Employee - Manager in Macdill AFB, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Macdill AFB, FL

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ummm no stars. Feel sucker punched.

Cons

They state 8-15/hr. I put modest 11. (Walmart cashier pay). Called in. At the end of paperwork told min pay, no benes, demand open schedule -WHAT?-. Me?
     Military vet, mngr exp. (3x afees as 2nd job). And at the point of hire telling me things ARENT my minimum. Bottom ....of...the...barrel. Cannot support life, as a vet. Contribute to military? At what cost to the rest of us that served and supportive family?

Advice to Management

Real life retail is simple, but not demoralizing. ZERO.STARS.

"Low pay, a lot of work, no satisfaction"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Altus AFB, OK
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Altus AFB, OK

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange part-time (More than a year)

Pros

you're give the ability to show in the store, as it's usually reserved for military members and family, as well as applying for the store credit card

Cons

Paid just above minimum wage, will be given different days off randomly, so planning ahead for appointments involves asking for leave, which may or may not get approved, management is generally only management because they outlasted every other employee by 15+ years, with no real management skills to speak of.

Advice to Management

Improve the pay of your workforce, paying just above what you legally have to is ridiculous, and provide proper training. I was told i'd be given a day to receive training without having to worry about being on the sales floor, but all of my training took place between helping customers as i was the only person on the sales floor. And improve communication between management and associates, I've been told 3 different things from 3 different managers before, and nobody could agree on what was right.

"It's a honor to have military spouses working for aafes"

Current Intern - Senior Store Associate in Nellis AFB, NV
    Current Intern - Senior Store Associate in Nellis AFB, NV

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

You work you get paid.

Cons

At my store "Nellis exchange", you have a lot of favoritism.The Filipino culture sure takes care of their own . It's hard to try to move up in the company when you have others that hold you back. AAFES always preaches .... it's a honor to have military spouses join our work force. Boy is that misleading.
    As a spouse I thought working for the exchange would be a great place to get my feet wet after being a stay at home mother. Maybe they could work around my schedule as long as I could work weekends and some days or nights. This job will work with me when my husband is deployed or on a TDY , because I have Noooooooo family that lives close by to help me with our child....... that's a big NOT.

Advice to Management

Be more understanding and have empathy towards hard working active duty spouses. Remember our military lives revolve around where government wants us . We don't have a choice on where we want to live. And we have no family around to help out with our children so we can work. Some management don't follow the companies policy's. Which could cause issues for the company.

8. "Never again and dont consider employment"

Former Employee - Supervisor Food Service in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Supervisor Food Service in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay ok not going to get rich

Cons

Short hours constant getting cut even though I was guaranteed 32 or more only the good old boy/woman got the 40 plus. Watch out for loss prevention they get promotions on how many they get fired or arrested

Advice to Management

treat everyone fairly full time if 32 to 40 for ALL not your friends

9. "Maintenance Mechanic Helper"

Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic Helper in Fort Bragg, NC
    Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic Helper in Fort Bragg, NC

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company truck, Company paid gas, Company tools, Company uniforms, Lots of free food and parties.

Cons

Low pay and overtime with no notice, poor foreman who micromanages

Advice to Management

Dig deep into what is really going on. Not just when you are around but when you are not.

10. "AAFES"

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange part-time

Pros

None in Korea all is terrible

Cons

Terrible in terms of security and moving up