Arnold Clark Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Arnold Clark Chief Executive Eddie Hawthorne
Eddie Hawthorne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Average company benefits ie discount of cars, pension, private health care" (in 10 reviews)

• "The company is continuing to grow which means that job security is something no-one needs to worry about" (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours - a lot of box ticking" (in 33 reviews)

• "Work life balance was a massive let down and the uncertain changes of shift patterns" (in 7 reviews)

1. "overall experience"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Glasgow, DE
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Glasgow, DE

I have been working at Arnold Clark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Money to be made. If you work hard, you'll get paid well.

Cons

Long hours. Be ready to give up on your social life. Nobody in the company cares about personal development.

Advice to Management

Educate your staff on how to sell. There is no training provided. On paper there is, but nobody really teaches you how to sell. To me this is just crazy.

Jul 5, 2018

Thank you for review and I’m sorry that working at Arnold Clark hasn’t been a positive experience for you overall.

I was glad to hear you were happy with the salary on offer. We offer the most... More

2. "Sales executive"

I have been working at Arnold Clark full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Prestige branch so you get nice clientele

Cons

Long hours, minimum pay, no training, will promise you the world, managers are not trained

3. "Rental Operator"

I worked at Arnold Clark full-time

Pros

Good company to work for with good benefits and bonuses. People who work there makes it worth staying - you do tend to make friends for life.

Cons

Working weekends and bank holidays!

Advice to Management

Management needs to appreciate people more for what they do and hours they do - working weekends and bank holidays!

Mar 29, 2019

Hi! Lynne here. Thanks for your positive review of your time with Arnold Clark, I’m glad you enjoyed your time with us.

I was heartened by your comments about how we look after our staff in terms... More

4. "Ok"

I worked at Arnold Clark full-time

Pros

Good benefits and people generally ok

Cons

Work life balance / senior management a problem

Apr 4, 2019

Hi, Lynne here. Thank you for leaving a review of your time working at Arnold Clark.

Because your review is anonymous, I don’t know exactly where you were positioned in the business. I was sorry... More

5. "Technician"

I have been working at Arnold Clark full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job security , training opportunity

Cons

6 day weeks and very little reward

Apr 4, 2019

Hi, thank you for taking time out to leave a review of your current role at Arnold Clark. I’m saddened it’s been a mixed experience.

I’m happy to hear that you feel secure in your role. Job... More

6. "Great Opportunities for Graduates!"

Current Employee - Graduate Placement in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Graduate Placement in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Arnold Clark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexi-time, Progression, Training & Development, Friendly Environment

Cons

Not experienced any so far.

Mar 20, 2019

Hi! Thank you for taking time to get in touch. I’m glad it’s been a five-star experience!

As you mention in your list of pros, we have a lot of benefits including flexible working and progression... More

7. "Graduate Assistant"

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant

I have been working at Arnold Clark full-time

Pros

Good staff
    Fantastic place to work
    Great environment

Cons

very rear opportunity available

Mar 20, 2019

Hi! What a great review of your time with us. I’m delighted we’ve been able to help you through a difficult time.

It’s also fantastic that you seem to be enjoying the challenge of your new... More

8. "Product consultant"

Current Employee - Product Consultant
    Current Employee - Product Consultant

I have been working at Arnold Clark full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The team is what makes ac good to work for

Cons

Some old school managers,

Mar 20, 2019

Hi! Thank you for your short and sweet review of your time as a product consultant. I’m glad things are going well!

You obviously have a close bond with your colleagues in the branch. Our family... More

9. "Excellent experience"

Former Employee - Product Consultant in Inverness, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Product Consultant in Inverness, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Arnold Clark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

General Manager and Sales Manager are good people and I worked well with them
    Company has high standards expected of both employees and cars
    Training is possibly the best in the industry
    Market leading position makes the salesperson's job easier

Cons

The new uniform looks awful - in my opinion - some people love it.

Advice to Management

My branch was run very well by the managers. I worked with a good bunch of salespeople and the rest of the departments were good also. I know people who work in other branches that are not able to say the same so I think the experience comes down to the individuals running the branch. My experience was positive so can only base it on that.

HR are keen to make sure it is a good place to work. They have meetings called think employee and think customer to improve for both staff and customers. I am pretty sure they will check this review and comment below with a comment relevant to what I have written. I would be surprised if they did not.

5 day week is good, I would have liked a weekend off once in a while though. Some branches seem to do this but others do not and salespeople are the only job that are expected to not have weekends off ever. I only know this because when at GTG you talk to others and find out what it is like to work in other branches. Some of my colleagues pointed out that 6 days was more lucrative and regretted changing to 5 day weeks but you cant have it all your own way I guess.

GTG training is fantastic. I do not know of any other dealer groups that offer this. Normally starting in a car dealership is 1. Here is your desk. 2. Here is your phone. 3. Sell cars.

At Arnold Clark you actually get trained to do your job correctly and in the way that the company want it done. If you do it the way they ask guess what.. you sell cars and they are happy with what you do. People that are not happy or get "fines" are like that because they think they know better than Arnold Clark - they don't.

My one and only complaint! = The old uniform was much more professional as bright blue with horrible logos on it just looks like the sort of thing a fast food worker would wear not a salesperson earning £35k plus trying to sell the second most expensive purchase a customer makes should be wearing. I hated it. A lot of car salespeople are proud of being successful and this often means a nice suit, nice shoes and taking pride in appearance. I think the new uniform does not inspire pride in appearance. Just bring back the nice Arnold Clark ties that everyone has seen for years and insist on black suit, black shoes, black socks and keep it smart!

Salesmans office is probably the best system any car dealership has in the world! I have worked in another large dealer group and a handover could involve 10+ signatures and take up to an hour. Arnold Clark have 1 signature done electronically and the paperwork can be minutes leaving more time to spend with the customer at the car rather than at a desk boring them to death with paperwork.

Mar 20, 2019

Hi - Lynne here. What a fabulous review of your time working with us. I’m so glad you felt so positively about it.

You make so many lovely comments, it’s hard to pick one or two out! But we agree... More

10. "Fantastic Company"

Current Employee - Product Consultant in Winsford, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Arnold Clark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working for Arnold Clark now for around 8 months. I applied for the role as Product Consultant in July 2018 as the potential earnings intrigued me. I always knew it was going to be tough going into Car Sales, and I knew my working hours would increase but I have enjoyed every second of it. The companies uncapped commission has allowed me to earn over £50k pro rata, which is almost treble my previous job. I have set myself goals to progress within Arnold Clark into Management and beyond. I cannot thank Arnold Clark enough for helping me get through a difficult stumbling block in life. Like any job that pays well, stress can be the norm, but I enjoy encountering new challenges daily and the support from Management and Senior Management has made me want to work even harder day in day out.

Cons

I have not come across any. Some would say the hours are long but you get out what you put in.

Mar 12, 2019

Hi, thank you for getting in touch with such an inspiring review. I’m delighted you’re enjoying working for Arnold Clark!

I was heartened by your comments about how we look after our staff, even... More