Arnold Clark Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Arnold Clark Chief Executive Eddie Hawthorne
Eddie Hawthorne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Cant think of anything positive (in 3 reviews)

• very good training program at start (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • working long weekends, having to move about branches during the day, long hours; eight am to six pm most days (in 13 reviews)

• Called HR head office and asked them for advice on leaving (in 4 reviews)

1. "Utter Shame!"

Current Employee - Product Genius
    Current Employee - Product Genius

I have been working at Arnold Clark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Colleagues, job satisfaction, learning new skills
    Great time in GTG training as i met a great bunch of people in similar role

Cons

Too many hours & expected to work 10 days straight. I approached my Manager to ask if he can re-work the rota as im struggling to cope with this. He basically said No straight away without even trying to resolve it. This leaves me no option but to look for alternative employment. Such a shame as i enjoy it but his ignorance & lack of management skills has let him down.

Advice to Management

Train your managers, he may of been a great salesman but he is a terrible manager. No people skills no listening skills & definitely no understanding of employees needs. Sometimes shouting & being nasty actually does the opposite to what you want out of them.

2. "Pretty good experience"

Former Employee - Receptionist in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Arnold Clark part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was a receptionist at a Motorstore for 6 months and I fairly enjoyed it. I gained new skills and gained a lot of patience as customers can be very demanding in this field. The guys I worked with were all lovely and very helpful within these 6 months by answering all my questions and giving me tips on what works best for them as a team.

Cons

My salary was low because I was under 25 so had find another job as I couldn't live off of my monthly income any more. Also not much overtime available since the job was split between 3 receptionists so only overtime I would get would be holiday cover which wasn't beneficial to me.

Advice to Management

Continue to treat your receptionists with respect as it helps to keep our spirits up.

3. "Not for me!"

Former Employee - Car Valet in Birtley, Tyne and Wear, North East England, England (UK)

I worked at Arnold Clark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None what so ever. Pushed to the point of quitting.

Cons

Forced to work overtime . No family time. No leasure time. Always pushed to work and made to feel you have no choice. Bullys

Advice to Management

Listen to staff instead of being smug bullys. Wanna be ex salesman with no people or management skills

"Where do I start?"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Huddersfield, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Huddersfield, England (UK)

I worked at Arnold Clark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reasonable Commission if you manage to hit a plethora of targets

Cons

This is the 'where do I start' bit. Arnold Clark like to think of themselves as progressive for the industry, but, frankly, they're not.

Hours - They do warn you about the hours but, even for the car industry, they're long. You'll work over 60 hours a week, 6 days a week. 2 nights a week you're have to work til 8pm. So you get to come in later right? Wrong, you'll still have come in for 9am or 8.30 if it's a Friday.

Holidays - To make up for the long hours, they offer 8 weeks holiday. If you take 52 days off that to make up for the fact you're working a 6 day week, not 5, it's not so much and good luck trying to take those holidays. Nobody in my branch managed to take their full entitlement.

Sales process and IT - The practices and systems are archaic. even small things like if you sell a set of mats in the deal, you have to go to parts get them out and then take them over to the valeters to put in the car yourself. The paperwork is ridiculous with much unnecessary duplication. The IT and software is inefficient and unhelpful. I've never worked for a sales led organisation that didn't have a half decent CRM.

Commission deduction - There are lots of reasons that commission can be deducted from you, even at the whim of the management. Every customer gets a satisfaction survey sent to them. If you get one back from a customer that isn't happy, you'll lose your commission, even if it wasn't your fault. I had a customer who had an after sale issue and was messed around by the service department. He said in his survey that I was great but wouldn't recommend the company because of the service department - and I lost my commission because of it.

Management - I don't think I came across a professional manager the whole time I was there. Managers are always promoted top salesman, who by nature, tend to be hard drinking, arrogant, selfish, opinionated bullies. There are so many boxes to tick and bases to cover as a salesman, that it's impossible to keep on top of everything. The managers will use any of the small things you fall down on to make your life a misery.

Company car - You expect a company car as a car salesman right? You'll have to cough up £150 a month for the 'privilege' and you have no choice, you get what your given.

Advice to Management

Employ senior managers from outside of the industry, Stop patting yourselves on the back for being a 'progressive' company. You're stuck in the stone age with employment practices, work practices, systems and IT and , lastly, a good salesman doesn't always make a good manager. Just look at your sales staff turnover rates and take a good, hard, long look at yourselves.

5. "Good but quiet at times"

Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at Arnold Clark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Uncapped Commission if you are prepared to work for it.
    Comprehensive training.

Cons

Overly competitive environment, stealing of clients etc.
    Basic very low
    Poor career prospects
    Very long hours

Jun 5, 2017 – Community Manager

Hello, and thank you for leaving some feedback about your time with Arnold Clark.

I’m glad you managed to enjoy the benefit of our fantastic commission structure, and noted our training as a... More

6. "Horrendous company - management team bullies."

I worked at Arnold Clark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job can be a good laugh, when the management aren't around. You can make money if your willing to sacrifice your life/happiness

Cons

Huge hours, expected to work way over contracted hours. Bullied and belittled by management who are almost all aggressive in their management styles. Commission deductions that mostly outweigh the amount your paid from a sale. Management are without a doubt out to take money off you, you begin to wonder if they are targeted on the amounts. Unattainable targets some months. You don't feel there is any job security as management are constantly threatening to "HR you". Just a generally miserable working environment and nearly ever member of staff at the branch I worked at is looking for another job. Made to lie to customers. Illegal practices in relation to finance documents (signing off site and forging signatures when a resign is required).

Advice to Management

Stop bullying people. Make some effort to retain staff as let's be realistic people aren't exactly queuing up to work for you. Monitor closely your culture of fines as this is undoubtedly verging on illegal. When multiple members of staff are leaving a branch have a look at your management teams, might save you the hassle of recruiting more people.

Aug 16, 2017 – Community Manager

I’d like to thank you for taking some time to review your time working at Arnold Clark. I’m sorry to see you’re no longer working for the company.

It’s good to see that you enjoyed some aspects... More

7. "Sales executive"

Former Employee - Sales Executive

Pros

Experience and money, company car, healthcare, in

Cons

Crazy hours, treat you like slave, more you invest less you get, commission deduction from head office.

Advice to Management

Depends on the brach. Really stressful atmosphere and no csreer progress even if you get promoted they don't rise you salary. Commission structure is a joke.

Jul 10, 2017 – Community Manager

Thank you for leaving some feedback about your time working for Arnold Clark. I’m really sorry to see it’s not been a more positive experience for you.

I’m glad you took the time to point out... More

"They burnt me mentally and physically."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle under Lyme, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle under Lyme, England (UK)

I worked at Arnold Clark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Commission is reasonable. That's about it. Can't think of anything else. Trying to get 20 words.

Cons

Hours, management, HR, the business structure as a whole. I have never worked in a job where you get told that the best salesman will get 1 in 3 people he speaks to, to buy a car, but if you don't convert someone, you get screamed at. Not just by branch management, but by operations and franchise management as well. It came to a point where I was scared to talk to customers. Sales is something I've been a success in for over 5 years, and this job came close to killing me. It affected my life personally, mentally and physically. I had to take time off due to stress, anxiety and depression (caused by this job) and I was told by the branch manager that they were putting me through to HR to see if they should get rid of me or not (that's what you say to someone who is off due to anxiety). When I contacted HR myself, I was fobbed off to someone, who basically said having time off (with a doctor's note) and the possibility of getting let go was a chance I'd have to take. In the end, I walked out myself. Called HR head office and asked them for advice on leaving. Asked them for an email address to send a resignation and they just basically told me to get lost. This isn't just my branch, this is how they expect their management and HR to treat you. This was my dream job, something I've always wanted to do to prove to myself I was good at selling anything. Now I wouldn't want to go anywhere near a sales job again, let alone the motor industry, all thanks to Arnold Clark and how they think they should treat their staff.

Advice to Management

Calm the attitude and the aggression. Hours need to be more social. Everything needs to looking at an restructured.

Jun 5, 2017 – Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I’m sorry to see you’ve left us with negative feelings about your experience.

Our commission structure has been designed to reward hard... More

"Soul destroying"

Former Employee - New Car Sales Executive in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - New Car Sales Executive in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Arnold Clark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company car and can make money good holiday entitlement if you can actually take it, good colleagues if your get on well with them

Cons

Long hours, bullying, being made to lie to customers, signing finance documents off site illegal commission deductions, commission not always paid on time and then reduces for following month

Advice to Management

It's all about treating customers fairly, how about treating staff fairly

Apr 5, 2017 – Community Manager

Thank you very much for taking some time to share your views on working at Arnold Clark.

I’d like to address each of the points you raise in your review. I’m glad you got the chance to take... More

"Disgusting bully"

Former Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Pros

Good money, SOME nice staff

Cons

Liars, bullies, unfair, singled out

Advice to Management

Absoloutly disgusted with Arnold Clark! Words don't even cut it. Was employed as a service advisor within one of your glasgow branches and I must say I enjoyed the job itself, building rapport with both staff and customers. Throughout my employment within this branch as time went on a pathetic of excuse operations manager began picking on me. Constantly found faults in something and always treated me like I was a Notting not part of the service team and never included me in any conversations that may involve the service staff . If any praise was made for the department it would be to the other staff members. If the phone would ring and other girls where sitting he would always pick on me to get it ... if something went wrong in the department I was the first one to be suspected of, I was constantly treated like a silly little girl , a office junior. On many occasions I was in tears because of his attitude and manner towards me. He singled me out from the rest of the girls and other staff members pointed this out. How this arrogant disgusting pathetic man got to where he did I don't know but Arnold Clark have got to be ashamed of themselves to how my termination of my contract ended ! The stories I could tell about that branch !! BULLIES a& LIARS! ( general manager at this branch is an absoloute gent and couldn't fault any of the rest of the staff )

Apr 5, 2017 – Community Manager

Firstly, thank you for letting us know about your experience working for Arnold Clark. I’m just so sorry to read that it’s been a negative one.

I’d like to make clear that we view the behaviour... More