Arnold Machinery Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 23, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Russ Fleming

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Place for a Career"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in North Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in North Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Arnold Machinery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Their Silver Service Policy gives customers a safety net to do business with them. You are empowered to make decisions and decisions are based on what is right. If a customer is unhappy with something, you MUST ask them "what will it take to make you happy?" Then you do it. As long as it is legal and ethical, an employee does not have to worry about the cost to the company or getting fired. It has been proven year after year that customers usually only want what it is that will set them straight. No phone calls to managers or fear of being fired. It is a great feeling. Great benefits.

Cons

The only real con, if you can call it that, is if you are lazy, it is not for you. Sales is high pressure, but that is to be expected. The reward is great and the safety net means that no matter what, you know that the customer will be taken care of. Period.

Advice to Management

I guess most time it is a pro because there is not micro management, but perhaps set a corporate procedure for work flow of new and used sales. They do very well but with any company there are growing pains. Once we have enough people internally it should resolve.

2. "Good Company, Opportunity to Improve"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Layton, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Layton, UT

I worked at Arnold Machinery (More than 3 years)

Pros

Priority is always the customer, Reasonable expectations from staff, Good work/life balance, Allows for success, opportunity for personal and professional growth, good benefits.

Cons

Resistance to adapt to market trends, Lack of internal investment to improve current situation, failure to identify opportunities for growth.

"I have just reached my 10 year anniversary on the 5th of may"

Current Employee - Field Mechanic Ce in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Field Mechanic Ce in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Arnold Machinery full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Best company I have ever worked for they do care about employees and it shows not a place to work if your lazy you get worked and are expected to earn your money and sometimes do get worked hard but it is part of keeping customers happy 401k have had no problem and have shares of stock as well as free insurance they have sent me to many Volvo schools and invest money in there employees yearly bonuses if earned I have only missed one in ten years and have only had one pay cut that didn't last long at all it is verry business smart I have got a raise every year I have been there even on down years this is a very strong I company I will always give them my best because they I feel have been more than fair with me yes you have to work hard but you get compensated for it if your lazy it's not a place for you verry educated upper management financially and business smarts as well as personable I have had the president of the company call me on my birthday every year for ten years and wish me a happy b-day and ask how I'm doing never happens anywhere else have had many other job offers but don't plan on leaving

Cons

Could use more advertisement to get the silver service word out to customers can never have to many satisfied customers

Advice to Management

Keep it up , bring the heat we are ready

"Former Employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Arnold Machinery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They pay your Health insurance and the RAO bonus us nice

Cons

After having a HUGE ROA, their numbers weren't what they liked, so they started laying people off, not taking the 10% paycut they usually do. They llay someone off that has been there close to 6 years, but are still hiring in the shop.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't care about the employees at all, just money, that's all money! This company sucks!

5. "Very fair company."

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Reno, NV

I have been working at Arnold Machinery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company paid benefits, and they are laid back.

Cons

The industries they serve are turbulent, so layoffs and pay cuts happen often.

6. "arnol machinery"

Former Employee - Parts Manager in Elko, NV
    Former Employee - Parts Manager in Elko, NV

I worked at Arnold Machinery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work if you have intelligence and drive. Internal advancement opportunities and business experience in real world application is beyond what any school setting could possibly teach. Good values and solid business practices this company will be around for a while. Competitive to above average pay in the field.

Cons

Mediocre benefits, and sketchy stock program. They will work you into the ground given the opportunity no matter how much you can and do handle they will find more for you to do. Do not plan to retire here it rarely happens on your terms.

Advice to Management

Up the benefits it is a key contention threw-out the company. Increase staff and decrease work load on employees or they will keep dropping like flies, I have seen a lot of really good ones go after years of service.

"A very top down managed company with strong emphases on achieving only R.O.A bonus at year end."

Former Employee - MH Territory Sales Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - MH Territory Sales Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Arnold Machinery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Silver Service, they do empower you to take care of the customer without having to ask permission to do the right thing. As a salesman that is nice to have.

New company car every three years.

Company credit card for fuel, car maintenance, office supplies, and taking customers out to lunch when needed.

No caps on commissions earnings.

Most people within the company are really great to work with.

Cons

Senior management as well as local branch management seems to only focus and emphasis on only (return on investment) or R.O.A. In order to achieve bonuses almost equal or higher than the standard salary they receive already. This is not a proactive market share sales driven company. At least that is the business culture they have built as well as conveyed to me. During my time with the company the single focus from day to day operations is R.O.A. return on assets! There is no focus on new business growth, increased sales, and attaining more market share. It’s almost as if there is a conflict of interest between the sales department and the senior managers. It’s a constant war all the time.

There is also a huge disconnect between the senior management and the sales department. They consistently remind you of how things were a long time ago or back in there day twenty years ago. Which also explains why and how they operate and do business the way it was done forty years ago? Consistently fearful of your job, for they will hold meetings and tell you they will fire you if things do not improve. They like to threaten you allot with termination. Which explains the high turnover rate of salesman? They seem to bully the sales reps also.

The company operates only reactively to customers and the needs of the sales force! Very little new inventory, very little if any good used equipment that can be sold to the customer within a timely manner to meet the needs of the customer. They pretty much have stepped out of the rental business for the most part. In a company news letter they announced, they were a sale to sale company, and not a rent to rent company. We turn down rental business every day from our customers, so they can call our competitors to rent equipment who we are trying to sell equipment to. That does not work well!

Culture and company moral, there is no employee value or employee appreciation given to anyone at the branch level. The only time I have seen any type of appreciation given is when someone is given company stock for years of service, which is nice and I commend them for that. No Thanksgiving or Christmas lunch for the branch. In fact there are no employee functions or events at all. Zero comradery within the branch. The moral is non-existent, no team work. Management believes that by you having a job with benefits and giving you stock after five years of service that you as the employee or associate should value and appreciate them for giving you a job. They really and truly believe this and will tell you this in person.

Salesman; the commission plan is so far outdated and below industry pay scales. $24,000.00 per year, plus commission that is a tier system plan based on gross profit performance. Well, that plan would and could only work if the sales department had good inventory to sell on a monthly basis and was readily available for sale. But when 95% of what you sale has to be ordered from the factory with long build times 12-19 weeks in most cases, or when used equipment takes a month to make ready in the shop, then the plan has failed the salesman. Every physical year end the company depletes the new and used inventory next to nothing, so the R.O.A return on assets looks good for the bonuses which in most cases salesman do not receive, only senior and branch management. This means that the sales department will have very little if not any new or used equipment to sale for the first four months of the new physical year. The company’s physical year ends are on September 30th. October 1st starts the New Year. So during the holiday season, sales will be very soft until the once a year factory orders start arriving. I get the feeling they do not want to be a stocking dealer. No rental units either to generate commissions, remember they are not in the rental business. Salesman are not allowed to go to vendor functions, accept factory sales contest awards, no trips, no cruses, no nothing. The company woud rather have a discount or the funds given to the bottom line instead of salesman vendor or factory events.

The free no cost health care they give you for free; you have a $2500.00 deductible per each member of your house hold. Family of four, $10,000.00 Of course they tell you that back in my day there was no insurance and I paid out of pocket for health care. Well back in there day health care cost were cheap, gas was a .25 cents a gallon also.

Advice to Management

Its 2012 not 1960! This is a forklift & equipment dealership not a department store. You should think about incorporating some other benchmarks into the R.O.A bonus system other then, return on assets. Here are some suggestions! Amount of market share increase over prior year, amount of new account business increases over prior year, and the amount new service and parts business over prior year!
    Maybe then and only then everyone would be on the same page and work as one for the common greatness of the company to achieve goals other then R.O.A.
    Offer rental units to the market and grow your rental business and again stop thinking of return on assets only approach. You will stop losing customers also.
    You would greatly improve your business moral and culture if you were to do something as simple as give your people a stupid lunch in twice a year. It would really go a long way.

Completely upgrade your systems so people could more work done in less time.

8. "It is ok if you don't mind kaos"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

The best reason to work for this company is the fact they are a strong company. There are benefits and the company car is a nice perk.

Cons

They don't value their employees, especially sales staff. There are constant wars between employees and departments and no one can control it.

Advice to Management

Please understand not everyone knows who you are and advertising is not money wasted it is money well spent. Learn the value of a well compensated sales staff and know they are worth every penny they earn.

"Disfunctional"

Former Employee - Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at Arnold Machinery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company is comprised of four companies each having their own manager and goals. The forklift division seems to be running smoothly.

Cons

There is significant disfunction at top level of management. They have fired or runoff talent at a significant rate. Ask any branch how many managers they have had in the last 10 years and you will be shocked. Along with management turnover sales reps have been a revolving door. This could be because they are making very little money. Arnolds does not believe in rentals and the industry has shifted to this market. Therefore customers do business with companies that can meet their needs. Compensation to reps was a huge problem because they mostly get paid off profit. The margins have been eroded to a level where the sale of any product results in a commission that is laughable. The company talks about ROA bonuses to divert attention of compensation. When you see what is actually paid out vs what is budgeted you will see how the program is a joke.
    The company says it empowers each employee with Silver Service. This is true in that if there is a problem Arnolds will eat the bill. The problem with this marketing gimmick is that customers the rep will eventually be tagged as have too much buy backs and be terminated. Its a no win situation for the employee.
    All this dysfunction has resulted in market shares that are extremely low, extremely high turnover, poor morale, low commissions and everything that goes along with poor management.

Advice to Management

Remove top management who have lost their way with the market.

"Vindictive Branch Manager"

Pros

They provide you forklifts to work on and customers to provide a service for.

Cons

They have no idea what they are doing. They have a pseudo-service manager who doesn't know his left foot from a flathead screwdriver. If you try and verify what comes out of their mouth they will fire you. They will lie right to your face over and over in front of their boss, and you will get fired. Even if you're a AAA mechanic with excellent customer relation skills and technical skills, they will fire you.

Advice to Management

Perhaps hire service managers that actually know about mechanics and fixing equipment. Can't turn a failed technician into a service manager. Get rid of the buddy buddy thing going on in management. Provide clear policies that are easy to understand. Respect your employees.