AroundCampus Reviews in Chapel Hill, NC | Glassdoor

3.2
Scott Hines

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours and needs much energy (in 51 reviews)

• no one trusts the product and is hard to sell (in 15 reviews)

"Regional Sales Manager"

I worked at AroundCampus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging environment, this company will push you out of your comfort zone and teach you invaluable life skills. Upper management is supportive and optimistic, even in tough times. Family environment and growth mentality.

Cons

Print industry declined heavily and its hurting revenue. The CEO has no idea of the collegiate industry, hurting the company and the employees in the last 2 years. Ruining the amazing culture the company once had.

2. "Great people, tedious work"

Former Intern - Production Intern in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Intern - Production Intern in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern

Pros

My managers were extremely experienced and very kind. They were understanding if we weren't feeling well or needed to come in late because of some other major events.

Cons

Work is very tedious, I was on the production team and had to create the ads for the planners. Some customers could be extremely frustrating, and wouldn't send their logo or other files, and if an assignment landed in our task box we were forced to work on it. Days were long, but they let you listen to music. Pay was fair, but the product was also a dated one and sales were continuing to decline my year, there were a lot of changes going on within the company, to the point where my hours got to cut the last few weeks of the internship.

3. "Account manager"

I worked at AroundCampus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is filled with young people

Cons

Unorganized and the management is not good.

Advice to Management

Be more prepared

4. "Former Intern"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

Pros

Great company, positive experience, learned a lot.

Cons

I didn't find any cons.

"Disorganized company."

Former Intern - Sales Team Leader in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Intern - Sales Team Leader in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Productive professional experience. Very challenging introduction to outside sales. There were many networking and job opportunities available to me after completing the internship as a Sales Team Leader.

Cons

Very low pay for extremely difficult work. There were several weeks in which we were not paid on time. One week we were not even paid the full amount of what we were promised. Inside sales seemed to really try to take sales from the interns in outside sales. We were typically left with renewal customers who were extremely dissatisfied and we had to play damage control. Training hypes you up to go out and help businesses and make sales when, in reality, in many markets we are pushing garbage on local business owners.

Advice to Management

Pay your interns on time. There were 3 weeks in a row in which we were not paid on time and sometimes we were not paid what we were promised. Take some consideration into the markets we sell to. Some markets are built to succeed while others are far more challenging. Equip us with the truth. We were pushing an app that had fewer than 100 downloads in some markets and I had to learn that from local marketing firms. Overall I left the internship with a bad taste in my mouth.

"Everyday was definitely a new experience."

Former Intern - Visual Concept Designer in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Intern - Visual Concept Designer in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing Managers
    Huge learning opportunity
    Unique
    Fast paced
    Extremely friendly environment
    Really care about your internship experience
    Genuine employees
    Wonderful Portfolio opportunity
    Great great great resume experience
    Laid back
    Willing to answer questions

Cons

Promised 40 hours a week, averaged 20-30
    You will make much less money than you think
    Really consider your options if you are not from the area
    Currently a bit unstable
    Rules for the office weren't very consistent
    A bit disorganized
    In an area with a high cost of living
    Equipment breaks constantly

Advice to Management

I really enjoyed working with my immediate managers. They were amazingly talented people who were more than willing to help at any moment. Truly a wonderful learning experience! With that being said, this was also a bit of a disappointing experience. I know it isn't the fault of the staff, the company clearly wasn't doing well and we as an intern group could tell from week one. In the long run, maybe shrink the internship size to allow for more stability in hours and pay. Being from out of state it killed me financially to not get the hours I was told I would be getting from the beginning. The server issues also played a huge role in us being sent home constantly. My role within the production department required me to do work in a program that was not built for logo redesign and i as a VCD was not provided with the illustrator that the other groups had in order to effectively complete the work in a timely fashion. I wish the company the best of luck and hope that the digital switch helps them in the long run! Also a huge thank you to Miranda , Alex, Kade, and Leanna for being some of the best managers I've had, they truly are great teachers for the program.

"A good first stepping stone"

Former Intern - Customer Relations Associate in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Intern - Customer Relations Associate in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Interns have low stress jobs, you can get by doing 2 hours of work a day easily.

Cons

Netsuite is terrible and slow. The management team is stressed because their teams have to meet arbitrary goals for artwork approvals.

Advice to Management

Management should leave for a different company, you're going nowhere.

8. "Client Relations: Rep Support Intern"

Former Intern - Client Relations: Representative Support in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Intern - Client Relations: Representative Support in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Being on Rep Support, you definitely get more responsibility than regular Client Relations Interns which I really liked. Even though the rep support title is technically Client Relations Intern, you deal more with the sales rep interns than you do the clients. Great leadership and problem solving experience. It was a great internship to start out with an I really enjoyed the people I worked with at The AroundCampus headquarters. Everyone is young and it is a great environment to work in!

Cons

The pay is not good. I genuinely would've worked there another summer if there was a significant pay increase. The pay increase for staying on is 25 more cents an hour which is nothing.

Advice to Management

A little bit less micromanaging. For example, our lunches had to be an hour long and we couldn't take less time and leave earlier like in a lot of companies I worked for let you do. It makes sense for the Client Relations Interns due to phone shifts but for Rep Support I feel that such a strict break schedule was unnecessary.

Pay your interns more! If you want to recruit the best, you have to be competitive with your pay.

"Management Experience"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at AroundCampus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company provides professional B2B sales management opportunities for employees very early in their sales careers.
    Company sales training is very strong, and company spends thousands of dollars per intern to fly them across country and train them with no promise that the intern will ever be a strong seller.
    Very young, high-energy sales environment. Refreshing to see young professionals passionate about helping college students begin their career.
    New president has strong vision for the company.

Cons

Regional Manager position seasonally has a lot of travel. Mainly during early spring and summer, the Regional Managers are traveling almost every week. This can be exhausting.

Advice to Management

Let department heads really lead their departments. Allow employees to trust that their department head is in charge of the day to day decisions.

"UConnection +, AC -"

I worked at AroundCampus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The new technologies they are partnered with are exciting...old products not as much.

Cons

Management is in and out frequently and can be distracting.

Advice to Management

Enabling lead positions to do their job.