AroundCampus Reviews | Glassdoor

Scott Hines
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours and needs much energy (in 51 reviews)

• no one trusts the product and is hard to sell (in 15 reviews)

1. "Not Worth your time"

Current Intern - Outside Sales Marketing
    Current Intern - Outside Sales Marketing

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern

Pros

- Very easy and straightforward interview (traditional behavioral questions)

Cons

- Extremely low pay ($3.50 an hour)
    - High cost for employee to drive around all day
    - You are literally just soliciting companies all day long

Advice to Management

First off, raise the pay. It is so inconsiderate to pay the interns $3.50/hour and also not reimburse them for gas or food. Secondly, make this internship worth while. As interns, their responsibility is just to solicit companies. In addition, the companies at the "career fair or networking event" in Chapel Hill are not large companies. They are not reputable enough which doesn't allow any growth for the interns.

2. "Disappointing"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern

Pros

You have to practice self-discipline in order to push yourself through the awful internship. I met some cool people too...if that counts as a pro?

Cons

Every single person I talked to during the first days of training were also very confused about what we were even doing this summer. The first couple of weeks are difficult, see that you have to build leads off cold calls from businesses who "have tried this in the past and it just didn't work for them." As someone who was raised off income from a small business back home, I KNEW this print product was not worth the money and the owner will most like not see a ROI. Every sale I make, I feel guilty about because these people work really heard to make money and I'm taking it from them for advertising that I don't believe in! Don't get me wrong, I believe advertising is important, but the student planner? No, people don't look in the back of the planner FULL of advertisements for a phone number or address to a local business.
    The managers never tell you when your internship is done when they promise to let you know a week after training. When they DO come on calls with you, they are so involved with their phones and answering questions from other interns that they are almost bothersome to have tag along.
    If you're looking for a good internship experience, go somewhere else.
    SERIOUSLY, I genuinely mean that.
    I thought this would have a lot to offer, but turns out, I've only gained bitterness toward the company and towards sales.

Advice to Management

Pay interns enough to afford rent. Be more specific on what this company and its expectations are really about.

3. "Outside Sales Intern"

Current Intern - Outside Sales and Marketing in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Intern - Outside Sales and Marketing in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Definitely a learning experience. You get used to a lot of denials and learn how to negotiate/find out what the client is really looking for or what their hesitations were.

Cons

If you're not into sales, specifically advertising sales, this isn't where you want to be.

Advice to Management

Be a bit more upfront about the position. Lower the minimum expectation, it was a bit ridiculous.

4. "Outside Sales Internship"

Current Intern - Sales Team Leader/Sales
    Current Intern - Sales Team Leader/Sales

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

You develop good interpersonal skills with business owners and your team members if you choose to emphasize the importance of relationship building. You also learn to accept failure, and move past it to improve yourself and your team.

Good learning experience.

Cons

Interview:

The turn around process is so quick, that you never really feel like you have time to think things over, before knowing if it's a good fit. They treat the interview process in the same way as making a sale. They have to "sell" you on the internship. By stressing urgency, it made it seem like you had to make the decision right then and there, and it is was also early in the internship application process, eliminating all other internship possibilities.

My interviewer was very excited about speaking with me, which made me feel special, but not I realize the modem behind the facade. They were building up the value in the "product," which was working for them. I just wish I had more time to make my decision before taking this internship. However, I understand why they didn't give me time. They were "closing the deal".

Training:

The entire week of training feels very Disney Land-esque. Since this is a SALES internship, this company knows exactly what to do to make you feel like you are important, and motivate you to like their company and their product. Everything said is very scripted and rehearsed (you can tell you are being taught by salespeople). However, It did not however feel genuine, and they did not prompt you on the reality of the internship. The script served as a good base to start, but they encouraged staying up late nights memorizing it, after over 12+ hours of training already that day. And if you didn't spend that extra time, you were criticized. They also spent way too much time, on the best case scenario, which we would soon realize would be about <1% of our sales calls. Overall, the training got everyone very excited to start, with a lot of motivational videos and hype, but that soon ended when the reality of the internship hit everyone how hard it would be. It's almost as if the company itself knows that its products are outdated, non-user friendly, and not beneficial to the customers, so they feel the need to over hype and glamorize everything, in order for the interns to not see the reality of the product.

Outside Sales internship:

The actual internship itself has has been very good life experience, teaching you to work with many different individuals and assessing and fulfilling the needs of businesses. This company is EXCELLENT at selling a less than adequate product. Very good at spinning (valid) objections into manipulating the business to spend (a lot of) money, on an ad that blatantly does not help them whatsoever. After visiting past customers, I received very little positive feedback. The reality is that there are so many better marketing techniques than the AroundCampus product. Instead of improving the actual product, the company focuses on manipulation skills, making promises, without achieving tangible results.

Also, throughout the internship there was never full validation for completing a goal, or achieving a benchmark. It was always "good" job, never "great". Always something to improve, and constantly bombarded as not good enough. This caused a very high burnout rate, to continue putting in high sales call numbers. Not only on my team, but also with the other teams in the region, when discussing with the others in my position. Also, during training, it was stated that the focus would be on hard work, not numerical results. This was not the case. During the first few weeks, it was focused on high call numbers, but if you did not make a sale right away, then you were immediately criticized as not working hard enough. Even if you did put in the numbers they wanted you to, you were criticized for not working overtime. Even after hours, the managers are constantly texting and calling to check up on how you are preparing for the next day. There is absolutely no work/life balance. You are expected to work overtime, but are never compensated for it. You are expected to do more calls than they ask, or will be criticized. You are expected to make this internship your sole focus, deeming all family, academic, and personal issues as unimportant, not matter WHAT they are. This process seems very dehumanizing, belittling everything that may be important to you outside of the internship, to mold and create AroundCampus robots with tunnel vision. The constant pressure and competitive atmosphere is motivating temporarily, but is NOT feasible to sustain morale throughout the summer.

Overall impression:

The AroundCampus group employees are expert salespeople (sharks). They know what they want, and how to get there. However, they should not brand it as a paid internship, unless guaranteeing minimum wage, for hours worked. There should be less interns hired, with better compensation. By hiring so many interns so sell their product, they can get away with treating them like a herd of cattle, and exploiting them. As a full time internship, this company can at least afford to compensate their interns, and validate their hard work.

Advice to Management

The president of the company, John O'Brien is an incredible human being. He single handedly gives me faith in the fragile future of this company. Although he as the highest position in the company, he is humble and makes himself available to all of the interns. His approachable and earnest nature represents what the company should be. He seems to be one of the only people that truly cares about the people that are working for him, and not just logistics of sales and numbers. He also genuinely seems to want to address criticisms, rather than brushing them off, which shows how much he truly cares about the company. Jeff Stencil is the same way, really seeming to care about the work that he does, and the people that work for him. John values his employee's hard work, and Jeff gives the motivation to continue. The AroundCampus group is lucky to have them.

I do think that The AroundCampus group needs to work on hiring better quality of managers because they all seem to be scripted, inflexible, and uninterested in building relationships with their interns. The managers are solely competition and results oriented, to make themselves look good rather than what is best for the region or team as a whole. They model success with numerical results and individual rankings, and nothing in between.

Overall, I think that this company needs to seriously re-work and re-vamp their product, to make the interns not only excited to sell it, but fully believe in what they are selling. The company needs to get with the times, and completely re-strategize the focus of their products. Also, I think there needs to be more emphasis on the AC Brand championship because I do not think that enough students know about the app, which could actually have potential. My biggest piece of advice to management, is practice what you preach. With so much criticism constantly given to interns to overwork themselves, this company needs to listen and accept constructive criticism as well. The interns have valuable input and perspective that should not be shunted. The company needs to get out of the 70's and spend money to actually create a worthwhile and valuable product.

5. "Only for those who LOVE sales"

Current Intern - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Intern - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to create your own schedule.

Cons

There isn't enough supervision.
    Door to door sales gets old.

Advice to Management

Good luck

"If you don"

Pros

They give you all the tools to sell their product, lots of useful information for salespeople.
    Positive and motivating culture

Cons

Pay is bad, long hours, you're pretty much on your own the whole time. Getting rejected by store owners 20+ times a day gets old. Culture seems a little fake sometimes. Competition probably has a better product

Advice to Management

Work with people who are struggling on how to deal with the stress of the job and give them information on how to realistically approach sales pitches

"Beware of AroundCampus, formally known as University Directories"

Current Intern - Sales Team Leader
    Current Intern - Sales Team Leader

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

sales experience, good resume builder but only for saying how you overcame challenges

Cons

horrible compensation, no benefits, drive around city all day don't compensate for gas, unprofessional managers

Advice to Management

I would really note all the positive and negative comments on here. If this internship was as good as some of the reviews are saying, there wouldn't be nearly as many negative reviews as on this page. I would be very careful when applying to this internship because while interviewing they keep it very general so you don't know what you're getting into. Almost more than half my team quit before the internship was over. So make sure to keep ALL reviews in mind

"Too much work, not enough pay"

Current Intern - Full-time Summer Sales Intern
    Current Intern - Full-time Summer Sales Intern

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

good experience opportunity for someone that doesn't really need the money.

Cons

-only get paid $200/wk , visit over 30 businesses each day, but you have to pay for own gas in car.
    -training is draining & overly scripted sales

Advice to Management

Pay student interns more because the money is definitely needed.

9. "Lacked goals"

Current Intern - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL
    Current Intern - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good training and builds character

Cons

Ripped off businesses, bad rep

Advice to Management

Be more honest

10. "Could have done better if I looked more Internships"

Current Intern - Outside Sales Representative in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Intern - Outside Sales Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The people that you work with are all awesome.

Cons

The pay was not that great. It all depended on what territory you received. The training in North Carolina seems like it will be really fun, yet it is grueling boring and the script they make to learn is hardly used when you’re out in the field. This job was really hard and I would not recommend it unless you are superior at sales and you live in a college town where all the companies rely on kids to buy their products.

Advice to Management

Some how split of the good companies amoung sales reps so they all have the same chance to succed, once your in a rutt of not making money or selling, you usually stay there.