AroundCampus Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Scott Hines

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • you work a lot for very little pay--very long hours (in 48 reviews)

• If you are comfortable going door to door or if you want the experience, this is the internship for you (in 17 reviews)

1. "Great Experience"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern

Pros

Amazing internship training program. This internship gives you real hands on experience and is a true "work hard - play hard" atmosphere. Management is very supportive and I feel like I gain 50 new mentors who genuinely cared about me!

Cons

Pay isn't great until you are a high performer (but that's like any real sales job)

Days are long and it's a lot of work but worth it if you stick it out till the end.

Advice to Management

Make sure interns are in it for the long-haul! It's a great internship!

2. "Company in transition"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at AroundCampus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great concept , great energy , solid hires have been made to help group grow. Strong collaboration and vibe with college marketing

Cons

Company in transition with new owner. Not a lot of processes have been written down over the years and changes have to be embraced.

Advice to Management

Continue to make solid hires to help define processes

3. "Outside Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at AroundCampus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Hands-on sales experience
    - Extremely helpful and hands-on management
    - Professionally empowering
    - Periodic rewards / bonus programs
    - A plethora of career partners
    - Great commission table

Cons

- Low base pay
    - Management can (at times) be spread a little too thin
    - Some members of management are not well-acquainted enough with each individual market

Advice to Management

- Develop regional managers to be more hands-on, pay your assistant sales managers better

"Hard work, but great experience"

I have been working at AroundCampus full-time

Pros

Working directly with mentors, and higher management to give you feedback and help motivate you to get sales. Allows you to meet with business owners, VP's, CEO's, and strengthen B2B communication skills.

Cons

Salary is terrible, commission is fairly low until you make a ton of sales.

Advice to Management

Pay higher, keep a base salary throughout the entire internship, not just the first 7 weeks.

5. "Outside Sales Representative"

Current Intern - Outside Sales Representative in Penryn, CA
    Current Intern - Outside Sales Representative in Penryn, CA

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience doing B2B sales. They have amazing connections to big companies you could work for after you graduate.

Cons

You don't get paid much for the work that is required. (Only $200 a week working 40 hours a week is $5 an hour). Plus they stop paying you after 7 weeks and the internship is anywhere from 10-12 weeks long. The training is completely exhausting, we trained anywhere from 15-18 hours a day and you become very sleep deprived.

Advice to Management

Pay the interns more! Give us more free time during the training and don't train until 3 in the morning. Sleep deprivation does not help people learn.

"Sales Team Leader/Outside Sales Rep"

Pros

This will prepare you to go into sales, or pretty much anything you want as a career. This is truly 10/10 training and internship, so congrats to AroundCampus for making your interns #1. You will find out a lot about yourself, and I would encourage anyone to do this internship. This really has made me into a better person, if you have the opportunity to accept this position, do it.

Have an open mind and you'll do better than you think.

Cons

You make your interns go out ALONE. Do you know how many people feel uncomfortable with that? Then, if interns are smart and decide to go together, you tell them they can't do the that and you give them issues. Listen, we live in a world with creepy people. Why make us go alone and risk us being in a bad situation? You're a smarter company than that.

The training is rigorous. You still don't know if you'll be able to handle everything when you get back to your region. This can be very difficult for individuals who like structure and wishes to have a 'to-do list' type of job. If you are comfortable going door to door or if you want the experience, this is the internship for you.

Advice to Management

Why just make the training a week? Based on what I have seen, you loose so many interns within a month because they don't like the job/don't understand what the heck they're suppose to do. Yes, you want good salespeople, but make the groups bigger. Heck some of us only had 1 person in our divisions (Which is ridiculous). More people = better chance these groups will stay together. So you don't end up having 0 people and all of your hard work to train us goes to waste. Give more time for training and make the groups bigger.

Make sure that you are hiring managers that show the company in a positive light. These managers that you hire act like scammy sales people. Make sure that they are aware of the region that they're in. Some actions are NOT appropriate. Yes they are my managers, but they seriously damage the chance at a sale being annoying and pressuring sales people that can be deemed as salespeople you don't want to associate yourself with at all.

Corporate people should reflect the managers. From what I have seen, the corporate people are a lot nicer than the people they are paying to go around to divisions.

7. "sales rep"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

Pros

You're your own boss and it teaches self-discipline

Cons

If you are an introvert consider another job.

"Good Growth Opportunities"

Pros

New ownership wants AroundCampus to be a national brand, and is actively acquiring companies.

Cons

AroundCampus is shifting from a print-only portfolio to a more complete print and digital experience for customers.

Advice to Management

Management should consider developing a more structured career path for employees.

"Lots of Work Good Experience"

Pros

Great on the job experience. Gain first hand experience that most interns can not imagine. The training program in North Carolina is extensive but a lot of fun.

Cons

In order to do well and make money you have to be willing to work a ton. Days are very long and they expect you to always be willing to work overtime.

10. "Great Learning Environment"

Current Intern - Senior Design Assistant
    Current Intern - Senior Design Assistant

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The office atmosphere is fun and laid back even during peak weeks. The layout of the office fosters a team/interactive atmosphere.

Cons

Some of the work feels repetitive, but can still get stressful at times. Thats the only one I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome and accessible leaders to the interns. The free food is also greatly appreciated.