AroundCampus Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Scott Hines

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • you work a lot for very little pay--very long hours (in 48 reviews)

• If you are comfortable going door to door or if you want the experience, this is the internship for you (in 17 reviews)

1. "Not worth it"

Former Intern - Summer Sales Intern in Bowling Green, KY
    Former Intern - Summer Sales Intern in Bowling Green, KY

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Looks good on resume but much better options are available

Cons

Little pay, little commission, poor management, little support

"Worst company in the history of companies. The problems never end."

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at AroundCampus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The resume building experience was the only pro. This is for people looking for b2b experience that dont want to make very much money even if you are a top performer.

Cons

A company that does not do anything they say. Promises are never delivered to both their customers nor employees. Very dishonest organization. I would never work for this company again and sound a clear warning to those contemplating possible employment opportunities or advertising opportunities with this company. Dont do it or you'll regret it! !!

Advice to Management

Get on top of it! It's so frustrating as an employee to be constantly hounding you to get results so that I can do my job!

3. "Unprofessional Workplace.....AVOID!!"

Former Intern - Sales Associate in State College, PA
    Former Intern - Sales Associate in State College, PA

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a good experience in that you learn how to deal with being denied, and will grow as a person from it.

Cons

The upper management is non-supportive, and only care about themselves rather than helping the interns. Their practices are also unethical, and expect you to bother small business owners to the point where you will be cussed out by them. Also, your regional mangers are typically the epitome of a stereotypical, sleazy salesman.

Advice to Management

Be more supportive of the interns, and actually help them rather than degrade them. Use more ethical business practices.

"Sales Intern"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Waco, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Waco, TX

I worked at AroundCampus (Less than a year)

Pros

Great introduction to sales. If you are interested in sales, I would recommend it - but only as an introduction. This type of sales is very basic and aggressive; you wouldn't be expected to do any research whatsoever on these people because it is directly cold-calling. You start off flying out to NC, which is all payed for, get to stay at a hotel, and go to several meetings. Although they are boring, they can be helpful if you take notes. Afterwards, you are thrown out into your territory. You get rewarded if you try hard - even if you consistently make calls. There was an award for those that achieved at least 30 calls a day. The best part was making friends in my territory and we still keep in contact till this day.

Cons

By now you probably are aware of all the downsides from other reviews. First, the training is so long that you barely have time to sleep. It's insane to build a foundation of sales within a week!! Probably the biggest con is that AC already has a reputation. Many of the businesses I called on either had no clue what AC was or had beef with AC. All of the returning customers that you get as a "reward" either couldn't be reached by the inside sales team by phone or rejected the inside sales team countless times. Now the bring you in, expecting to somehow close it. When I came up to one business, I almost got thrown out because AC harassed him. Regardless, this just might be an effect on the product, not the company; after all, it IS print advertisement. Some other cons are that you have to pay for living expenses and gas. You are paid by draw payments of $200 a week even though you work from 8-5 M-F (45hours). Thats around $4 an hour, about half of minimum wage! Plus, you have to pay off the draw payments, meaning this is completely commission based. Lesson for any freshman, sophomores, or juniors in sales: if a company is completely commission based, do not accept the position unless its an internship. However, AC IS an internship, and most internships generally don't make a lot of money - if any at all. Once you are finished paying off the draw payments (don't worry if you don't make enough to cover the draw payments, because if you can't cover it nothing happens), you will finally start to make commission. My Team Leader made enough to earn money, however, you have to make sure that your clients actually pay or else you'll never see a dime. This is almost like you're a sole proprietor, considering you have to do taxes.. An interesting thing about the company: the first line of the script explains that you are from [university]. This was interesting because it made it seem like we were representing the school. In fact, the planners looked like they were from our school (which they should because they are the school planners) and many gatekeepers would say, "ohhhhh, he's from [university]" as if I was representing the school. This probably legal but not moral. Once I was finished with the internship, I was heartbroken to find out that none of the planners were distributed on campus. The area manager failed to contact the school to make sure this was authorized and we were not allowed to pass it around the university at all. We ended up having to pass them around businesses. Do you realize what this means?? Everyone that was in the planner pretty much lost their investment. This also hurt AC because they wasted their money on planners. Everybody wasted time and money because the manager didn't get the planners approved. With ALL these cons, I still don't regret the internship. I wouldn't do it again, but it definitely helped build a foundation of sales. This internship will help you with your communication skills and fear of approaching people. Additionally, you will have one of the best networking experiences of your life working here.

Advice to Management

Thanks for reading this, management; I was a bit harsh in the cons, but honest. Everyone I talked to wanted the app, but not the planners. In fact, I had to convince people to get the smallest ad because the app came along with it. If you're not doing it already, I would sell the app separately and focus on marketing the app 100%. The print advertising is still making money, but not for long. I would pursue more digital advertising and transition the company in that direction. It's better for profits and reputation because it's more effective.

"STAY AWAY! SCAM ARTISTS!"

Former Intern - Intern in Lexington, KY
    Former Intern - Intern in Lexington, KY

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro out of this internship is the training in Chapel Hill, NC and meeting like minded individuals. I met some of my best friends through this internship.

Cons

-Pay is awful. $200/week for 7 weeks, and then the pay stops. It's about $4.50 per hour.

-Work long days and they make you work overtime but don't pay you for it.

-They fly you down to training to make you feel special, but they don't even pay for your bags.

-The product is so out of date and you feel like you are scamming business owners out of their money.

Advice to Management

Don't scam college kids out of money. We work 60 hours a week to make 90% of your profits and we are only recognized when we make sales. If we don't make sales, it's like we don't exist.

When they ask you if you are "All In," they don't tell you that they mean your time, effort, and WALLET are all in also. I lost so much money from this internship it was ridiculous. STAY AWAY!

They try to tell you its an awesome resume booster, but only their career partners will want to hire you . GO ANYWHERE ELSE FOR AN INTERNSHIP.

6. "Sales Representative Intern"

Former Intern - Sales Representative in Corvallis, OR
    Former Intern - Sales Representative in Corvallis, OR

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The training in North Carolina was tough, but also fun. The internship itself was a good resume builder, and gives you experience in pushing yourself. The experience helped me get my next job.

Cons

This was a stressful job emotionally and financially. You are paid $200 a week for 40 hours+ of work. Many interns quit within the first few weeks because we weren't vetted for being yelled at for past intern's fouls. I also felt guilty selling the product. My conscience could barely handle trying to sell a print add in a planner I had never seen or heard of at my school. I have often thought of going to the people I sold adds to and apologizing for cheating them.

Advice to Management

Get rid of print adds, focus on social media marketing and vamp up the app to be more interactive with students. Encourage advertisers to use the app to reward students for choosing their store. Make the app like a Yelp for college students that also allows students to find out more about what's going on around town (a combo of a Yelp and event finder).

7. "Sales Intern - Team Leader"

Former Intern - Sales Team Leader in College Station, TX
    Former Intern - Sales Team Leader in College Station, TX

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Learning networking and interview skills; paid training; meeting many business owners in the town you're working; learning how to motivate a team of students the same age as you towards a common goal

Cons

Managers don't care about you, $200 a week doesn't cover all expenses incurred; The managers expect you to make an outrageous amount of sales per week on a product that is useless. In my time there, the company pushed out an app "supposedly" and we told customers about it and how the app would be live by August. In December, the app still wasn't out. I lost money working for this company.

Advice to Management

Learn to care about your people

8. "Don't"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Free trip to UNC college

Cons

toxic culture and very culty

Advice to Management

graduate college

"Intern experience"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Richmond, VA

Pros

Good experience. You get a feel of what working in an actual sales job will be like. Learn how to talk with businesses and find their needs. My people and business skills definitely improved by working here

Cons

The week long training while slightly entertaining, was a bit uneccessary. It was 90% pep talk and motivational speeches that got old, FAST. Maybe it was just me but I saw right through it from the beginning. The reason they do it because this job is so demotivational. They set totally unrealistic sales goals. Expect you to visit at least 30 businesses a day and regional managers are always on your back about "going out there and getting into businesses and meeting DMs and making presentations". Some of the managers are okay, but most gave a very fake vibe and it was annoying. They make commission off your sales so of course they are always trying to push you. As a sales intern you only make commission AFTER you've reached 10,000 in sales, which is rediculous because for the average intern that is a it how much you will make in sales. And the 200 a week draw is going to be used plenty on gas.
    The product your selling is also behind in the times. Print advertising that literally no businesses are interested in. Not to mention their prices are too high especially for the area I was in. Prepared to get a lot of hard NOs.
    The worst part is that when you do make sales, you feel like you ripped businesses off, you know they arnt getting more value in the product than they are paying. And you often stretch the truth to make a sale, my RMs when they would work with me often did the same thing. It's disgusting.

With everything they ask of you, working 40+ hours a week is almost expected. After making 30+ calls and meeting with your team twice a day, they also want you to enter all of your prospects and standards online. Which serves absolutely no purpose except for performance reviews which directly benefit, again your regional managers. Oh plus calling and emailing all of your potential clients which I was told don't count as calls..

Looking back on this job everything about it irritates me.

Advice to Management

You need to reevaluate your business model top to bottom. Make the training more worthwhile. Your whole business model should not be based off taking advantage of interns. At least compensate them better. Until your mobile platform takes off, your product is totally obsolete.

10. "Don't"

Current Employee - Sales Team Leader in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Team Leader in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Good training, and culture program. They really get you pumped.

Cons

Everything else. When you actually get out into the field you feel like you don't have the proper training

Advice to Management

Move past paper, get deeper into the digital realm