AroundCampus Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 13, 2017

Scott Hines

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • you work a lot for very little pay--very long hours (in 48 reviews)

• If you are comfortable going door to door or if you want the experience, this is the internship for you (in 17 reviews)

"Everyday was definitely a new experience."

Former Intern - Visual Concept Designer in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Intern - Visual Concept Designer in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing Managers
    Huge learning opportunity
    Unique
    Fast paced
    Extremely friendly environment
    Really care about your internship experience
    Genuine employees
    Wonderful Portfolio opportunity
    Great great great resume experience
    Laid back
    Willing to answer questions

Cons

Promised 40 hours a week, averaged 20-30
    You will make much less money than you think
    Really consider your options if you are not from the area
    Currently a bit unstable
    Rules for the office weren't very consistent
    A bit disorganized
    In an area with a high cost of living
    Equipment breaks constantly

Advice to Management

I really enjoyed working with my immediate managers. They were amazingly talented people who were more than willing to help at any moment. Truly a wonderful learning experience! With that being said, this was also a bit of a disappointing experience. I know it isn't the fault of the staff, the company clearly wasn't doing well and we as an intern group could tell from week one. In the long run, maybe shrink the internship size to allow for more stability in hours and pay. Being from out of state it killed me financially to not get the hours I was told I would be getting from the beginning. The server issues also played a huge role in us being sent home constantly. My role within the production department required me to do work in a program that was not built for logo redesign and i as a VCD was not provided with the illustrator that the other groups had in order to effectively complete the work in a timely fashion. I wish the company the best of luck and hope that the digital switch helps them in the long run! Also a huge thank you to Miranda , Alex, Kade, and Leanna for being some of the best managers I've had, they truly are great teachers for the program.

2. "Honest, Brutal Truth About ACG Internship"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at AroundCampus full-time

Pros

Strictly experiential, unparalleled resume builder. Probably the most professionally challenging internship out there (door-to-door, B2B, print advertising). You will be a better version of yourself if you can get through the internship.

Cons

Product is a luxury - bottom line is that to the SMBs we sell to, advertising is a luxury, and print advertising is just another step further from their realties (and budgets). This isn’t exactly a con, just know that this is what makes the internship so difficult.

Distribution - planners rarely distributed the way ACG says they will be, rendering the product ineffective. They need to hold the orgs that pass the planners out accountable throughout the ENTIRE distribution process, not just for one or two days.

Low pay - but you should expect that. Other internships will call you giving a presentation in front of some upper management “the most real-life experience you can get in an internship”, but this experience will make you far more employable than those people

Inside sales team - gets first dibs which isn’t a big deal except for the fact that they conveniently leave that out of any interviews leading up to the job

Terrible renewal rates - indicate a bad product or bad customer service, probably the latter given the horror stories customers from last year would tell me

No hard numbers - for price objection, as with anything, you’re taught to walk the prospect through a ROI analysis. However, the formulas they teach you never factor in COGS, and when you do so manually, the customer is never on the upside, even with crazy high conversion rates. Anytime you ask managers for hard numbers or customer testimonials of how much it affected businesses in the past they always say “well it’s advertising there are no set numbers and no guarantees.” Obviously there are no guarantees. That answer always seemed like a half-hearted attempt to cover up the fact that they’ve never actually tracked a customer or had any come forth with solid numbers after advertising with ACG. Testimonials with exact figures would be far more effective than an unrealistic ROI. And no, it’s not impossible to have such numbers. You need only a satisfied customer that used UC, a print coupon, or an ad with some kind of tracking device (custom URL, etc)

UConnection - PRAY you aren’t asked about usership of UConnection. Think about it this way: on both app stores, you can see that the app has about 100k downloads. Divide that by the 200 campuses the app is on (found on ACG website), and you’ll see that the average is 500 downloads/campus. Who’s to say how many of those 500 actually became active users after downloading it. They say brand ambassadors are the answer but they’ve already been doing that and numbers are still very low

Home office is a disaster - harmfully unhelpful sales support line who can't help with the most simple of questions. Many of the renewal accounts said that they were never once contacted by the home office for ad proofing and that they had literally never once seen their ad before it was printed. One was even riddled with basic spelling errors.

They commend the wrong reps - The best salesperson in the world can sell a fraction of what someone who never follows any skeleton of a script does. This can be very disheartening. The reason is that no market is the same, and in fact, some are extremely easy to sell in whether it be because it’s a brand new market, or because of the campus size. They’ll tell you in training that no territory is easier than the next which is very true. The difference is in markets. However, they phrase everything to make you think in the beginning of the internship that a rep on a campus of only 10k that’s been sold to for 10 summers in a row should be able to sell as much as a rep in a brand new market with a 40k student population, and the fact that is simply impossible really whacks your confidence. Rather than focusing so much on total sales amounts and praising those people, they should focus the attention on those who have sold the largest percent of their market’s goal. That way, they’d be highlighting the people with the true talent and persistence, not just those who get lucky.

Advice to Management

Acquire a calendar app and incorporate deals/ad spaces businesses can purchase to cover both fronts so that you're prepared but don't have to overhaul essence of company product line when the planner INEVITABLY becomes obsolete. It’s a great experience and I don’t want to see ACG go away, but they have some serious work to do in Chapel Hill if they plan to be around in the next 5 years; hopefully new management can see that.

"Sales Rep"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern

Pros

Good resume filler and experience for outside sales

Cons

Poor management, product, business model, and client retention.

Advice to Management

Improve the product before having students push the product to new businesses it will negatively impact.

4. "Job experience"

Pros

A great sales experience with great mentors.

Cons

Long hours but worth it

5. "STudent Team Leader/ Sales Intern"

Pros

Great experience to get further jobs/ internships

Cons

A lot of hard work. Long hours. Cold Calling.

Advice to Management

Help students organize their sales leads better

6. "Client Relations: Rep Support Intern"

Former Intern - Client Relations: Representative Support in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Intern - Client Relations: Representative Support in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Being on Rep Support, you definitely get more responsibility than regular Client Relations Interns which I really liked. Even though the rep support title is technically Client Relations Intern, you deal more with the sales rep interns than you do the clients. Great leadership and problem solving experience. It was a great internship to start out with an I really enjoyed the people I worked with at The AroundCampus headquarters. Everyone is young and it is a great environment to work in!

Cons

The pay is not good. I genuinely would've worked there another summer if there was a significant pay increase. The pay increase for staying on is 25 more cents an hour which is nothing.

Advice to Management

A little bit less micromanaging. For example, our lunches had to be an hour long and we couldn't take less time and leave earlier like in a lot of companies I worked for let you do. It makes sense for the Client Relations Interns due to phone shifts but for Rep Support I feel that such a strict break schedule was unnecessary.

Pay your interns more! If you want to recruit the best, you have to be competitive with your pay.

7. "Hard work with constant rejections"

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

If you work hard every day and do well it can be a great learning experience. Training was a lot of fun but a lot of work. I met people that I still keep in touch with today. Good Alum network with more opportunities in different companies if you want to continue in cold call sales.

Cons

Management doesn't care much about you. You are like their slaves. Too easy to become unmotivated and quit since you are out on your own all summer besides a couple check-ups. Most students do quit or stop working and don't tell their managers. Cold-calling every day in the summer is very hard work and not for most who are unmotivated on their own.

Advice to Management

Keep the few good managers and get rid of the ones who don't value the hard work that certain students put in.

8. "Sales Representative"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern

Pros

Super supportive and fun culture. The training week is very challenging but very fun!!

Cons

Not for everyone. You are walking into business cold-calling, which is a difficult thing to do. Also, you're trying to sell a product that, at least for my market, people could care less about.

9. "Summer Sales Internship"

Current Intern - Sales Team Leader in Austin, TX
    Current Intern - Sales Team Leader in Austin, TX

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Individuals learn how to make sales calls from a well-crafted sales pitch during the initial training. Training is intense, people usually sleep around three or four hours for a week while trying to memorize everything.

Cons

Very little diverse support for their sales representatives. The managers only hear what they want to hear and are relentless in pushing the interns to continue working even past work hours.
    Base salary does not pay for the travel expenses while making calls. This is a very difficult internship if you desire to make a profit at the end of the summer. Most interns quit or finish this internship without making any money after expenses are factored in.

10. "decent old-school experience"

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great, hard work experience which builds a lot of character. Potential future employers will definitely be impressed if you can perform under this environment. Managers are supportive, and the training is a fantastic experience.

Cons

Big company, movements can often be bureaucratic. If it is your first go-round in sales, then you can easily work 60+ hours a week without seeing any extra commission. The expectations can often be physically demanding.

Advice to Management

Some of the incentives do not necessarily produce the best results. Better prepared reps close more deals, so the constant mobility and lack of emphasis on digital outreach can definitely hinder outside reps.