AroundCampus Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Scott Hines

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours and needs much energy (in 49 reviews)

• If you are comfortable going door to door or if you want the experience, this is the internship for you (in 17 reviews)

"Work hard, play hard mentality."

Former Employee - Local Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Local Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Very good training program, fully expenses paid flight to UNC NC plus hotel, food. Very good potential for commission, plus set $200 per week draw paid out weekly. Good opportunity to show responsibility if one finishes in top percentage of sales interns. Company provides plenty of data on your performance (sales revenues, total sales, feedback, team sales, etc)

Cons

Very long days, does not pay for your gas, 40+ hours a week a minimum. If performance is not up to par, commission will not be very good.

Advice to Management

Hire more competent sellers by offering higher base pay. A lot of the bad sellers seemed incompetent and thus did not make much and were disgruntled.

"Very challenging but rewarding experience"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chapel Hill, NC

Pros

Great on resume and sales skills will take you far in life

Cons

The hours are long and lack of sales could be very discouraging

Advice to Management

Definitely attitude. It determines everything. Try not to focus too much on the money for you will not get much but focus more on the actual experience and communication skills. Overall great experience.

"Great, I sold alot of advertisements and made a lot of money."

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Athens, GA
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Athens, GA

Pros

1 week paid sales training in UNC.
    15% commission on sales.
    $200 draw per week.

Cons

Not enough managing on a day to day basis.
    Products are outdated and can be hard to sell.

Advice to Management

Some advice to management at University Directories would be to hire more managerial staff for your college sales reps and develop better products to sell.

4. "Working for UD was one of the hardest jobs I've ever done, but gave me more experience than any other job or class."

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

Pros

UD is great to work for if you are self motivated and a hard worker. You are in direct control of how much you earn, but how much you earn depends on how much effort you put into the job. My managers were great, positive people to work with and it was fun working with people who understand my major and what it is like to be a college student. I made great connections within my community and learned alot about my own character and what I want in a job. They also make sure you get a paycheck every week even when you haven't earned your commission right away. You make your own schedule throughout the day, but always meet with your team to get organized and motivated.

Cons

You are working as a team, but there is alot of individual time spent out on the job. The hours are long, you don't get compensated for expenses right away, and the job involves alot of cold calling. People in the community recieved me well for the most part, but you have to be able to handle the fact that some people will be mean. You also have to handle alot of customer service issues from previous interns.

Advice to Management

The artwork department needs great improvement, I saw little effort being put into the creation of ads.

"The internship helped me grow personally and professionally."

Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in Greeley, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in Greeley, CO

Pros

A large amount of training to help you sell more effectively

Motivation to step outside your comfort zone and become a better person because of it

A tremendous amount of practice selling to others so that you can sharpen your selling skills

Cons

It is hard for the management to spend a large amount of time with each team, and you must rely on your teammates. Therefore, this is a positive and negative aspect of the company.

"There is no company that takes care of their interns more than UD."

Current Employee - Sales Intern in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Intern in Richmond, VA

Pros

Extensive training
    Great pay
    Real world experience
    Awesome company feedback and communication
    Management experience
    Opportunities for advancement
    Excellent career partners

Cons

Some cons that I found while working with University Directories were that since it was a sales job you do have to do quite a bit of driving. I spent 8 hours a day driving around my city making cold calls and I really burned through some gas, however since the pay was so great it wasn't to bad.

Advice to Management

Keep up the motivation! I wouldn't have succeeded this summer if it wasn't for the great management I had behind me.

"Good experience, not much fun unless you love sales"

Former Employee - Intern in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Intern in Nashville, TN

Pros

Teaches you how to work with people and complete legitimate sales transactions. Though not a prestigious internship, it looks good on a resume and gives you some good selling points to discuss in an interview. Gives you thick skin and the confidence to keep selling when someone tells you "no."

Cons

Low pay and difficult job of selling advertising that is rarely used. It can be very discouraging and boring at times. If you're not a sales or people person, you will be frustrated by all the sales jargon and lack of intellectual stimulation.

Advice to Management

Good job accomplishing the task of motivating college students to keep selling in the face of adversity. Make sure you make yourself available after the internship to help with career partners and writing letters of recommendation.

"Great Earning Potential for College Students"

Former Contractor - Brand Ambassador in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Contractor - Brand Ambassador in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at AroundCampus as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

-Flexible Hours
    -Usually big-name companies
    -Solid pay for student
    -Friendly, hangs-on management

Cons

-Sometimes unreasonable expectations for success
    -Goals of campaign not always in line with student culture

Advice to Management

-More reasonable tracking goals; current ones are too easy to fudge
    -More thorough screening of potential candidates

"A sometimes frustrating yet completely transformational experience."

Former Intern - Outside Sales Representative in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Intern - Outside Sales Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

You will learn to uncover the needs of others and solve problems which can benefit both your professional and social life.
    You will develop super-powers such as the ability to start a conversation with anyone, anywhere and an invulnerability to rejection.
    If you go into the internship with an open-mind and the goal of learning these skills, it can be a life-changing experience.

Cons

The pay is terrible. With the amount of work and dedication required to succeed in this internship, you will be making pennies relative to even menial jobs.
    There is little support from managers once you exit their training program and get into your own market. (They will help you over the phone and meet in-person 1-2 times over your 3 months working which I found inadequate.)
    Rejection can be painful if you are not strong-willed and able to move on.

Advice to Management

Provide more on-site support to sales teams. This will not only help reps learn by example, it will increase accountability for sales figures.

10. "Regional Manager"

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at AroundCampus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are great people, good learning experience and fun traveling.

Cons

The pay is small and there is very few promotion opportunities