AroundCampus Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 14, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Scott Hines

Pros
  • Learn a lot about sales and helps you grow confidence (in 29 reviews)

• Awesome sales training program at UNC Chapel Hill (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • you work a lot for very little pay--very long hours (in 45 reviews)

• If you are comfortable going door to door or if you want the experience, this is the internship for you (in 17 reviews)

1. "Sales Team Leader"

Pros

I have no pros. This was one of the most regretful parts of my college experience. No internship is better than this one.

Cons

The Internship is a total scam. They fly you out to NC to stay in moldy rooms that are cold. You get little to no sleep during training because they keep you up late at night memorizing a sales script. Then they fly you back after 9 yes 9 days later and you start "selling" a useless product. Also, they are not willing to help you. There was a mistake made on my business cards and they suggested that I cross it out and write over it... Really professional right? You get very little money for the amount of time you spend working, they don't pay for any gas or work expenses. A SALES CALL is going into a business which they conveniently don't tell you until you arrive in chapel hill. SO yes you are expected to DRIVE to 30+ businesses per day and sell them something useless. Then you make hardly any commission on your sales. There are so many better options. DON'T LET THEM TAKE ADVANTAGE OF YOU!!

Advice to Management

I never saw any of your product distributed on my campus. You are taking advantage of students who are looking for relevant experience.

2. "Not worth it"

Former Intern - Summer Sales Intern in Bowling Green, KY
    Former Intern - Summer Sales Intern in Bowling Green, KY

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Looks good on resume but much better options are available

Cons

Little pay, little commission, poor management, little support

"Worst company in the history of companies. The problems never end."

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at AroundCampus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The resume building experience was the only pro. This is for people looking for b2b experience that dont want to make very much money even if you are a top performer.

Cons

A company that does not do anything they say. Promises are never delivered to both their customers nor employees. Very dishonest organization. I would never work for this company again and sound a clear warning to those contemplating possible employment opportunities or advertising opportunities with this company. Dont do it or you'll regret it! !!

Advice to Management

Get on top of it! It's so frustrating as an employee to be constantly hounding you to get results so that I can do my job!

5. "Unprofessional Workplace.....AVOID!!"

Former Intern - Sales Associate in State College, PA
    Former Intern - Sales Associate in State College, PA

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a good experience in that you learn how to deal with being denied, and will grow as a person from it.

Cons

The upper management is non-supportive, and only care about themselves rather than helping the interns. Their practices are also unethical, and expect you to bother small business owners to the point where you will be cussed out by them. Also, your regional mangers are typically the epitome of a stereotypical, sleazy salesman.

Advice to Management

Be more supportive of the interns, and actually help them rather than degrade them. Use more ethical business practices.

6. "So awful"

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern

Pros

The partnering companies that will contact you for employment.

Cons

Everything! So awful. Management, product, everything. Do. Not. Work. For. Them!!!!

7. "Sales Representative"

Former Contractor - Outside Sales Representative
    Former Contractor - Outside Sales Representative

I worked at AroundCampus as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

This job helped teach me a lot about building customer relationships but the pros definitely don't outweigh the cons of working for this company.

Cons

Poor management, poor compensation, no guidance, management doesn't care about you only the dollar amount you're bringing in, selling a outdated product that no one wants

Advice to Management

Pay better, update product, give more guidance and help in the field

8. "Intern"

Pros

The only pro of the internship is you can use to the internship as college credit .

Cons

Training week ( sounds fun but not really - you sit in classroom settings for 12+ hours, you are forced to learn a script in 2 days), your days starts at 8:30 am & usually ends around 12:00 am, they sell it to you that room and broad is covered (you will be staying in these old & dirty dorms on UNC campus). The program is extremely strict if you are late you will be sent home & forced to pay for your plane ticket.
    Training week is only half of it ... The worst part hasn't even began. You will be working for $200 a week & required to work 40+ hour days. The program is extremely unorganized and unrealistic . You are not allowed to take any days off. The Managers will pop up whenever they feel like it. They are extremely difficult for the fact they are under pressure and are looking to make a sales bonus. The commission is nothing ! Pretty much your expected to do a lot of work , and your not very appreciated or compensated for your hard work. In addition to that the product you are selling as been sold over and over again to the same businesses and they notice it for being a scam so it usually does not sale !

Advice to Management

It is better to be honest with interns , rather than allowing them to think they are actually going to get something out of the experience . The company is more so just found a way to get sales persons in the field without having to pay them anything .

9. "SCAM COMPANY"

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern

Pros

200 bucks a week, that's it

Cons

Their product doesn't work. A lot of local companies knew Around Campus Group and their planners product is a JOKE.
    They expect you to work over time.

10. "DO NOT TAKE THIS INTERNSHIP"

Current Intern - Sales Representative
    Current Intern - Sales Representative

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Got to go to North Carolina.. DIDNT EVEN GET YO ENJOY IT THOUGH. You train for 16 hours a day for a week, so basically you're in a cult.

Cons

So many so get ready:
    1) the pay; $200 a week barely pays for al the food I consume... And you have to pay for your own gas.

2) you have to do everything yourself

3) your manager has favorites

4) my manager wa a beyond rude. He told me I had no effort and was awkward.. He never gave me positive feedback.. I guess it was his first year for a reason

5) you have to get up at 7 am to watch a video that really doesn't help you at all

6) you get paid 5 commission. Lol so basically you get $50 from that $1000 sale... WOOHOO.. Go buy yourself some premium gas

7)NO ONE WANTS WHAT YOU'RE SELLING

8) my manager wasn't helpful

9) I had a friend watch me get yelled at my manager; and they thought it was disrespectful

10) literally no one knows what around campus is... So best of luck

Advice to Management

HIRE BETTER MANAGERS.. Mine was rude

11. "Do Not Work Here"

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern

Pros

Training, managers are nice and seem to care

Cons

Long hours beyond what you are told during the interview process, compensation is very low unless you are a top performer

Advice to Management

Be honest in your interviews, this is a sales job and not a marketing position. Treat your employees with respect