AroundCampus Reviews | Glassdoor

AroundCampus Reviews

Updated June 20, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Learn a lot about sales and helps you grow confidence (in 29 reviews)

• A great sales experience with great mentors (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • you work a lot for very little pay--very long hours (in 47 reviews)

• If you are comfortable going door to door or if you want the experience, this is the internship for you (in 17 reviews)

1. "Company in transition"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at AroundCampus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great concept , great energy , solid hires have been made to help group grow. Strong collaboration and vibe with college marketing

Cons

Company in transition with new owner. Not a lot of processes have been written down over the years and changes have to be embraced.

Advice to Management

Continue to make solid hires to help define processes

"Worst company in the history of companies. The problems never end."

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at AroundCampus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The resume building experience was the only pro. This is for people looking for b2b experience that dont want to make very much money even if you are a top performer.

Cons

A company that does not do anything they say. Promises are never delivered to both their customers nor employees. Very dishonest organization. I would never work for this company again and sound a clear warning to those contemplating possible employment opportunities or advertising opportunities with this company. Dont do it or you'll regret it! !!

Advice to Management

Get on top of it! It's so frustrating as an employee to be constantly hounding you to get results so that I can do my job!

3. "A good internship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at AroundCampus (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities to become more outgoing, a team player, discover new local businesses and improve communication skills

Cons

Sometimes one might get discouraged when no one wants to advertise or have any interest with helping the college community

4. "Anonymous"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at AroundCampus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AC builds up young and ambitious professionals. Working for AC allows you to determine how successful you want to be.

Cons

The company is disorganized. We barely know where we're going and don't know how to get there.

Advice to Management

We need more C level individuals that not only know what it takes to make the company a success. These individuals need the knowledge and put the time into the company to make it work.

5. "Sales intern"

Former Employee - Sales Intern in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Intern in Chapel Hill, NC

Pros

Paid internship Good training Flex hours

Cons

Work hard and get a lot of no's

Advice to Management

Keep up the positive experience for interns

6. "Outside Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at AroundCampus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Hands-on sales experience
    - Extremely helpful and hands-on management
    - Professionally empowering
    - Periodic rewards / bonus programs
    - A plethora of career partners
    - Great commission table

Cons

- Low base pay
    - Management can (at times) be spread a little too thin
    - Some members of management are not well-acquainted enough with each individual market

Advice to Management

- Develop regional managers to be more hands-on, pay your assistant sales managers better

7. "Good for first real life sales experience"

Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at AroundCampus (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot about myself and more about what I want to do. Good networking opportunities with local businesses. Training was different, I did not find it useful during the internship but the week long trip to NC is fun. Good first internship

Cons

Low pay, Little training/guidance, somewhat tossed to the wolves. no central meeting place/homebase. You are either on the road or at the meeting place your team chose for your twice a day report meetings, which for us was a college house. Also, as you can imagine, selling print ad space in the back of a student planner to local businesses with small budgets is hard product to buy into.

"AC Review"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Springfield, MO

Pros

Fun work environment, expense free training in North Carolina, lots of opportunity for networking

Cons

Work alone for the majority of the day, lots of gas is used during daily travels, paycheck is mainly commission based

"Sales Intern"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Waco, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Waco, TX

I worked at AroundCampus (Less than a year)

Pros

Great introduction to sales. If you are interested in sales, I would recommend it - but only as an introduction. This type of sales is very basic and aggressive; you wouldn't be expected to do any research whatsoever on these people because it is directly cold-calling. You start off flying out to NC, which is all payed for, get to stay at a hotel, and go to several meetings. Although they are boring, they can be helpful if you take notes. Afterwards, you are thrown out into your territory. You get rewarded if you try hard - even if you consistently make calls. There was an award for those that achieved at least 30 calls a day. The best part was making friends in my territory and we still keep in contact till this day.

Cons

By now you probably are aware of all the downsides from other reviews. First, the training is so long that you barely have time to sleep. It's insane to build a foundation of sales within a week!! Probably the biggest con is that AC already has a reputation. Many of the businesses I called on either had no clue what AC was or had beef with AC. All of the returning customers that you get as a "reward" either couldn't be reached by the inside sales team by phone or rejected the inside sales team countless times. Now the bring you in, expecting to somehow close it. When I came up to one business, I almost got thrown out because AC harassed him. Regardless, this just might be an effect on the product, not the company; after all, it IS print advertisement. Some other cons are that you have to pay for living expenses and gas. You are paid by draw payments of $200 a week even though you work from 8-5 M-F (45hours). Thats around $4 an hour, about half of minimum wage! Plus, you have to pay off the draw payments, meaning this is completely commission based. Lesson for any freshman, sophomores, or juniors in sales: if a company is completely commission based, do not accept the position unless its an internship. However, AC IS an internship, and most internships generally don't make a lot of money - if any at all. Once you are finished paying off the draw payments (don't worry if you don't make enough to cover the draw payments, because if you can't cover it nothing happens), you will finally start to make commission. My Team Leader made enough to earn money, however, you have to make sure that your clients actually pay or else you'll never see a dime. This is almost like you're a sole proprietor, considering you have to do taxes.. An interesting thing about the company: the first line of the script explains that you are from [university]. This was interesting because it made it seem like we were representing the school. In fact, the planners looked like they were from our school (which they should because they are the school planners) and many gatekeepers would say, "ohhhhh, he's from [university]" as if I was representing the school. This probably legal but not moral. Once I was finished with the internship, I was heartbroken to find out that none of the planners were distributed on campus. The area manager failed to contact the school to make sure this was authorized and we were not allowed to pass it around the university at all. We ended up having to pass them around businesses. Do you realize what this means?? Everyone that was in the planner pretty much lost their investment. This also hurt AC because they wasted their money on planners. Everybody wasted time and money because the manager didn't get the planners approved. With ALL these cons, I still don't regret the internship. I wouldn't do it again, but it definitely helped build a foundation of sales. This internship will help you with your communication skills and fear of approaching people. Additionally, you will have one of the best networking experiences of your life working here.

Advice to Management

Thanks for reading this, management; I was a bit harsh in the cons, but honest. Everyone I talked to wanted the app, but not the planners. In fact, I had to convince people to get the smallest ad because the app came along with it. If you're not doing it already, I would sell the app separately and focus on marketing the app 100%. The print advertising is still making money, but not for long. I would pursue more digital advertising and transition the company in that direction. It's better for profits and reputation because it's more effective.

10. "You get what you put in"

Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in Denver, CO

Pros

It is a great way to learn how the business world works. They give you all the tools to be successful. Great connections to build a career.

Cons

Long hard hours that test your ability.

Advice to Management

positive encouragement