AroundCampus Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 3, 2017

Current Employees

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours and needs much energy (in 49 reviews)

• If you are comfortable going door to door or if you want the experience, this is the internship for you (in 17 reviews)

1. "Outside Sales Intern"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great management and training program

Cons

Long hours and driving. Must ALWAYS be motivated

2. "Anonymous"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at AroundCampus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AC builds up young and ambitious professionals. Working for AC allows you to determine how successful you want to be.

Cons

The company is disorganized. We barely know where we're going and don't know how to get there.

Advice to Management

We need more C level individuals that not only know what it takes to make the company a success. These individuals need the knowledge and put the time into the company to make it work.

3. "Outside Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at AroundCampus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Hands-on sales experience
    - Extremely helpful and hands-on management
    - Professionally empowering
    - Periodic rewards / bonus programs
    - A plethora of career partners
    - Great commission table

Cons

- Low base pay
    - Management can (at times) be spread a little too thin
    - Some members of management are not well-acquainted enough with each individual market

Advice to Management

- Develop regional managers to be more hands-on, pay your assistant sales managers better

4. "Overall"

Pros

*Experience
    *Networking opportunities
    *Freedom

Cons

*Organization
    *Salary (cost more to do internship vs what you make)
    *Long hours

Advice to Management

Need to pay a fair salary

"Hard work, but great experience"

I have been working at AroundCampus full-time

Pros

Working directly with mentors, and higher management to give you feedback and help motivate you to get sales. Allows you to meet with business owners, VP's, CEO's, and strengthen B2B communication skills.

Cons

Salary is terrible, commission is fairly low until you make a ton of sales.

Advice to Management

Pay higher, keep a base salary throughout the entire internship, not just the first 7 weeks.

6. "Sales Rep"

Current Intern - Sales Team Leader
    Current Intern - Sales Team Leader

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-You have autonomy
    - It can be fun
    - You meet a lot of business owners
    - Create good relationships
    -Win money
    - Have competing
    - Can have your own style of work

Cons

- It is way to hot in Jersey
    - Waste a lot of gas
    - Some business owners are really mean

Advice to Management

If someone is a top sales make sure to drive around with them too.

7. "Outside Sales Representative"

Current Intern - Outside Sales Representative in Penryn, CA
    Current Intern - Outside Sales Representative in Penryn, CA

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience doing B2B sales. They have amazing connections to big companies you could work for after you graduate.

Cons

You don't get paid much for the work that is required. (Only $200 a week working 40 hours a week is $5 an hour). Plus they stop paying you after 7 weeks and the internship is anywhere from 10-12 weeks long. The training is completely exhausting, we trained anywhere from 15-18 hours a day and you become very sleep deprived.

Advice to Management

Pay the interns more! Give us more free time during the training and don't train until 3 in the morning. Sleep deprivation does not help people learn.

"Sales Team Leader/Outside Sales Rep"

Pros

This will prepare you to go into sales, or pretty much anything you want as a career. This is truly 10/10 training and internship, so congrats to AroundCampus for making your interns #1. You will find out a lot about yourself, and I would encourage anyone to do this internship. This really has made me into a better person, if you have the opportunity to accept this position, do it.

Have an open mind and you'll do better than you think.

Cons

You make your interns go out ALONE. Do you know how many people feel uncomfortable with that? Then, if interns are smart and decide to go together, you tell them they can't do the that and you give them issues. Listen, we live in a world with creepy people. Why make us go alone and risk us being in a bad situation? You're a smarter company than that.

The training is rigorous. You still don't know if you'll be able to handle everything when you get back to your region. This can be very difficult for individuals who like structure and wishes to have a 'to-do list' type of job. If you are comfortable going door to door or if you want the experience, this is the internship for you.

Advice to Management

Why just make the training a week? Based on what I have seen, you loose so many interns within a month because they don't like the job/don't understand what the heck they're suppose to do. Yes, you want good salespeople, but make the groups bigger. Heck some of us only had 1 person in our divisions (Which is ridiculous). More people = better chance these groups will stay together. So you don't end up having 0 people and all of your hard work to train us goes to waste. Give more time for training and make the groups bigger.

Make sure that you are hiring managers that show the company in a positive light. These managers that you hire act like scammy sales people. Make sure that they are aware of the region that they're in. Some actions are NOT appropriate. Yes they are my managers, but they seriously damage the chance at a sale being annoying and pressuring sales people that can be deemed as salespeople you don't want to associate yourself with at all.

Corporate people should reflect the managers. From what I have seen, the corporate people are a lot nicer than the people they are paying to go around to divisions.

9. "DO NOT TAKE THIS INTERNSHIP"

Current Intern - Sales Representative
    Current Intern - Sales Representative

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Got to go to North Carolina.. DIDNT EVEN GET YO ENJOY IT THOUGH. You train for 16 hours a day for a week, so basically you're in a cult.

Cons

So many so get ready:
    1) the pay; $200 a week barely pays for al the food I consume... And you have to pay for your own gas.

2) you have to do everything yourself

3) your manager has favorites

4) my manager wa a beyond rude. He told me I had no effort and was awkward.. He never gave me positive feedback.. I guess it was his first year for a reason

5) you have to get up at 7 am to watch a video that really doesn't help you at all

6) you get paid 5 commission. Lol so basically you get $50 from that $1000 sale... WOOHOO.. Go buy yourself some premium gas

7)NO ONE WANTS WHAT YOU'RE SELLING

8) my manager wasn't helpful

9) I had a friend watch me get yelled at my manager; and they thought it was disrespectful

10) literally no one knows what around campus is... So best of luck

Advice to Management

HIRE BETTER MANAGERS.. Mine was rude

10. "Disappointing"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern

Pros

You have to practice self-discipline in order to push yourself through the awful internship. I met some cool people too...if that counts as a pro?

Cons

Every single person I talked to during the first days of training were also very confused about what we were even doing this summer. The first couple of weeks are difficult, see that you have to build leads off cold calls from businesses who "have tried this in the past and it just didn't work for them." As someone who was raised off income from a small business back home, I KNEW this print product was not worth the money and the owner will most like not see a ROI. Every sale I make, I feel guilty about because these people work really heard to make money and I'm taking it from them for advertising that I don't believe in! Don't get me wrong, I believe advertising is important, but the student planner? No, people don't look in the back of the planner FULL of advertisements for a phone number or address to a local business.
    The managers never tell you when your internship is done when they promise to let you know a week after training. When they DO come on calls with you, they are so involved with their phones and answering questions from other interns that they are almost bothersome to have tag along.
    If you're looking for a good internship experience, go somewhere else.
    SERIOUSLY, I genuinely mean that.
    I thought this would have a lot to offer, but turns out, I've only gained bitterness toward the company and towards sales.

Advice to Management

Pay interns enough to afford rent. Be more specific on what this company and its expectations are really about.