AroundCampus Reviews | Glassdoor

AroundCampus Reviews

Updated March 25, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • you work a lot for very little pay--very long hours (in 48 reviews)

• If you are comfortable going door to door or if you want the experience, this is the internship for you (in 17 reviews)

1. "Sales intern"

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern

Pros

It looks decent on your resume. Fun training. Teaches you how to hear the word no.

Cons

Cold calling on business with a 5% chance of closing them bc advertising decisions are made at the corporate level. Can get stuck with unmotivated managers.

Advice to Management

Focus more on hiring interns in small markets that have more small businesses.

2. "Outside Sales Rep Internship"

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern

Pros

Able to improve interpersonal skills quickly and effectively throughout the summer. Able to meet many business owners to improve personal network.

Cons

Often businesses refused to hear me out because of their negative past experiences working with The AroundCampus Group.

3. "Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Not much work, easy, on phone 99% of time, play around on the computer, got an hour lunch break, cool coworkers

Cons

We did the things they told us we wouldn't be doing, management communication wasn't good, got mad at us for things that weren't our fault

"Outside Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Sales Team Leader
    Former Employee - Sales Team Leader

Pros

-Experience in B2B sales
    -Creates self-discipline
    -Gain communication skills
    -Grows you as a business man/women

Cons

The Pay Scale sucks. I feel like I broke even when it came to paying my own gas.

Making a lot of money and a little bit of money with this internship really does depend on what market you are in.

You are told to tell businesses that buy that they will receive a spec ad within 72 hours. The design team was always way behind and wouldn't have it ready for two weeks, making me look bad to the customers.

Advice to Management

MGT was alright. They literally try to sell you at the interview. That's what they are trained to do. They say you can sell thousands of dollars doing this, and you can, but it isn't as common as it is made to look.

5. "Good for first real life sales experience"

Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at AroundCampus (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot about myself and more about what I want to do. Good networking opportunities with local businesses. Training was different, I did not find it useful during the internship but the week long trip to NC is fun. Good first internship

Cons

Low pay, Little training/guidance, somewhat tossed to the wolves. no central meeting place/homebase. You are either on the road or at the meeting place your team chose for your twice a day report meetings, which for us was a college house. Also, as you can imagine, selling print ad space in the back of a student planner to local businesses with small budgets is hard product to buy into.

6. "Sales Representative"

Former Intern - Outside Sales Representative
    Former Intern - Outside Sales Representative

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good sales experience, lots of autonomy, good training

Cons

Absolutely atrocious pay for the amount of work and dedication it takes to succeed. If you want to do well you will be working 40 hours per week plus spending free time preparing for the next day. The product you sell is extremely overpriced and the company creates an experience that is rarely helpful to customers. Training is built around convincing and misleading customers into thinking your product will help them, but in most cases it will not. You will encounter a lot of business owners that had a terrible experience with the company because of things completely out of your control. I do not recommend this internship. There are plenty of other sales internships that allow you to provide services that actually benefit business owners.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more, sales drop off in the last 3 weeks because nobody wants to work for free. Provide better assistance to your customers so they actually want to work with the company again.

"Sales Rep"

I worked at AroundCampus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Extremely fun sales training in North Carolina
    - Able to meet a lot of employees your own age unlike a lot of other companies
    - Resume booster (However, at a recent job interview, the interviewer discredited the work I did)
    - PAID internship

Cons

- Low pay for the work (around $200 a week for 45 hours of work)
    - Higher employees are told to tell you "In sales, you have to earn it!" But in reality, I felt like I was set up for complete failure a lot
    - Felt tricked into job with the allure of an "internship" and "resume booster"
    -You are generally not reimbursed for any resources

Advice to Management

Stop tricking college students into fake internships

8. "Disappointing"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern

Pros

You have to practice self-discipline in order to push yourself through the awful internship. I met some cool people too...if that counts as a pro?

Cons

Every single person I talked to during the first days of training were also very confused about what we were even doing this summer. The first couple of weeks are difficult, see that you have to build leads off cold calls from businesses who "have tried this in the past and it just didn't work for them." As someone who was raised off income from a small business back home, I KNEW this print product was not worth the money and the owner will most like not see a ROI. Every sale I make, I feel guilty about because these people work really heard to make money and I'm taking it from them for advertising that I don't believe in! Don't get me wrong, I believe advertising is important, but the student planner? No, people don't look in the back of the planner FULL of advertisements for a phone number or address to a local business.
    The managers never tell you when your internship is done when they promise to let you know a week after training. When they DO come on calls with you, they are so involved with their phones and answering questions from other interns that they are almost bothersome to have tag along.
    If you're looking for a good internship experience, go somewhere else.
    SERIOUSLY, I genuinely mean that.
    I thought this would have a lot to offer, but turns out, I've only gained bitterness toward the company and towards sales.

Advice to Management

Pay interns enough to afford rent. Be more specific on what this company and its expectations are really about.

9. "meh"

Pros

good and thorough training, enthusiastic managers, enthusiastic co-workers, not much else but need to meet 20 word minimum

Cons

really long hours, poor pay, really demoralizing work to have to get rejected all the time, out of date product, a lot of people feel scammed

10. "Summer Sales Intern"

Former Employee - Sales Representative and Account Manager in Hilliard, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Representative and Account Manager in Hilliard, OH

I worked at AroundCampus (Less than a year)

Pros

Met great people, met business owners in the city, made daily connections, gained self-confidence, became a leader, worked hard, self-motivated.

Cons

No support from regional managers, no time off, paid less than $5 an hour, did not have an office, given zero motivation.

Advice to Management

Be nicer to employees, pay more, treat with respect we are making you all of your money.