AroundCampus Reviews | Glassdoor

AroundCampus Reviews

Updated June 20, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Learn a lot about sales and helps you grow confidence (in 29 reviews)

• A great sales experience with great mentors (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • you work a lot for very little pay--very long hours (in 47 reviews)

• If you are comfortable going door to door or if you want the experience, this is the internship for you (in 17 reviews)

"Intern experience"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Richmond, VA

Pros

Good experience. You get a feel of what working in an actual sales job will be like. Learn how to talk with businesses and find their needs. My people and business skills definitely improved by working here

Cons

The week long training while slightly entertaining, was a bit uneccessary. It was 90% pep talk and motivational speeches that got old, FAST. Maybe it was just me but I saw right through it from the beginning. The reason they do it because this job is so demotivational. They set totally unrealistic sales goals. Expect you to visit at least 30 businesses a day and regional managers are always on your back about "going out there and getting into businesses and meeting DMs and making presentations". Some of the managers are okay, but most gave a very fake vibe and it was annoying. They make commission off your sales so of course they are always trying to push you. As a sales intern you only make commission AFTER you've reached 10,000 in sales, which is rediculous because for the average intern that is a it how much you will make in sales. And the 200 a week draw is going to be used plenty on gas.
    The product your selling is also behind in the times. Print advertising that literally no businesses are interested in. Not to mention their prices are too high especially for the area I was in. Prepared to get a lot of hard NOs.
    The worst part is that when you do make sales, you feel like you ripped businesses off, you know they arnt getting more value in the product than they are paying. And you often stretch the truth to make a sale, my RMs when they would work with me often did the same thing. It's disgusting.

With everything they ask of you, working 40+ hours a week is almost expected. After making 30+ calls and meeting with your team twice a day, they also want you to enter all of your prospects and standards online. Which serves absolutely no purpose except for performance reviews which directly benefit, again your regional managers. Oh plus calling and emailing all of your potential clients which I was told don't count as calls..

Looking back on this job everything about it irritates me.

Advice to Management

You need to reevaluate your business model top to bottom. Make the training more worthwhile. Your whole business model should not be based off taking advantage of interns. At least compensate them better. Until your mobile platform takes off, your product is totally obsolete.

"horrible"

Pros

you work your own hours so you can not show up and no one would know

Cons

they are just looking for college students to sell the same thing companies have said no to a million times

Advice to Management

shut this company down. Its a fluke

3. "Don't"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Free trip to UNC college

Cons

toxic culture and very culty

Advice to Management

graduate college

"Bad Internship, Horrible Product, Deceiving Interview Process"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative

Pros

This program does give you interpersonal skills. You learn how to enter a business, find the decision maker, negotiate contracts, learn from mistakes, and handle an overwhelming amount of rejection.

Cons

The interview process is incredible deceiving. I didn't learn what product I would be selling until the first day of training. You are actually selling ad space in a student calendar. This is an antiquated and dying form of advertising. You are told to enter every single business in your area (during training, managers share stories of sales made to funeral homes). You are selling an overpriced product to small businesses - that delivers very little value to customers. When you ask a small business in your area, a business you may frequent on a day to day basis, to spend over $1,000 on this type of advertisement, you are asking a hard working owner to throw away their money.

On top of the fact that your product is worthless (and 99% of business owners give you the finger and ask you to leave), the system AroundCampus uses to collect contracts and communicate with clients is also antiquated. I had clients call me during the school year (well after the internship was over and well after the ads were supposed to be prepped and released) saying they were never contacted about their advertisements. As interns, one of our selling points was that the calendars would be distributed during freshman orientation - meaning every single incoming freshman would be reviewing these ads and making decisions on what businesses they will be frequented during their 4 years at school. This turned out to not be the case. Our calendars were distributed in our school gym during the third week of school. Not only is this a poor reflection of AroundCampus group, but a poor reflection of the intern - as we were the messengers of this false information.

Overall, AroundCampus's business model hinges on hundreds of college interns - who are simply searching for a meaningful experience - who are paid an abysmally low salary. If you believed in the product, and were comfortable practically stealing from local businesses, you were able to make a few thousand dollars. If not, you left the summer barely making $1,000 for 10 weeks of hard work.

The interview process was very professional, so I was led to believe my experience would be meaningful; however, afterwards, I am only left with the ability to be told no 100 times in 1 day, and the ability to take it when someone gives you the finger.

Advice to Management

The interview process explained nothing about what the actual internship would entail. If after a student learns about what the company actually does and the applicant still wants a job, that's fine. But it's unfair to disguise the actual position with fancy wording and motivational speeches.

"Awful Experience"

Pros

Sales training was informative and I learned the ins and outs of sales

Cons

I did not make any money and was not allowed to have another job, trainings were from 7 am to 9 pm, work days were extremely long and unproductive, you don't make money until you sell at least $12,000 worth, complete scam, the college markets do not even like the planners.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as you would like to be treated. Everyone could be a valuable asset. Also, be supportive

6. "Intern"

Pros

You can potentially make commission, and very little supervision.

Cons

Long hours, little pay, hot weather (depending on you area), miserable work.

"Sales Intern"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Waco, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Waco, TX

I worked at AroundCampus (Less than a year)

Pros

Great introduction to sales. If you are interested in sales, I would recommend it - but only as an introduction. This type of sales is very basic and aggressive; you wouldn't be expected to do any research whatsoever on these people because it is directly cold-calling. You start off flying out to NC, which is all payed for, get to stay at a hotel, and go to several meetings. Although they are boring, they can be helpful if you take notes. Afterwards, you are thrown out into your territory. You get rewarded if you try hard - even if you consistently make calls. There was an award for those that achieved at least 30 calls a day. The best part was making friends in my territory and we still keep in contact till this day.

Cons

By now you probably are aware of all the downsides from other reviews. First, the training is so long that you barely have time to sleep. It's insane to build a foundation of sales within a week!! Probably the biggest con is that AC already has a reputation. Many of the businesses I called on either had no clue what AC was or had beef with AC. All of the returning customers that you get as a "reward" either couldn't be reached by the inside sales team by phone or rejected the inside sales team countless times. Now the bring you in, expecting to somehow close it. When I came up to one business, I almost got thrown out because AC harassed him. Regardless, this just might be an effect on the product, not the company; after all, it IS print advertisement. Some other cons are that you have to pay for living expenses and gas. You are paid by draw payments of $200 a week even though you work from 8-5 M-F (45hours). Thats around $4 an hour, about half of minimum wage! Plus, you have to pay off the draw payments, meaning this is completely commission based. Lesson for any freshman, sophomores, or juniors in sales: if a company is completely commission based, do not accept the position unless its an internship. However, AC IS an internship, and most internships generally don't make a lot of money - if any at all. Once you are finished paying off the draw payments (don't worry if you don't make enough to cover the draw payments, because if you can't cover it nothing happens), you will finally start to make commission. My Team Leader made enough to earn money, however, you have to make sure that your clients actually pay or else you'll never see a dime. This is almost like you're a sole proprietor, considering you have to do taxes.. An interesting thing about the company: the first line of the script explains that you are from [university]. This was interesting because it made it seem like we were representing the school. In fact, the planners looked like they were from our school (which they should because they are the school planners) and many gatekeepers would say, "ohhhhh, he's from [university]" as if I was representing the school. This probably legal but not moral. Once I was finished with the internship, I was heartbroken to find out that none of the planners were distributed on campus. The area manager failed to contact the school to make sure this was authorized and we were not allowed to pass it around the university at all. We ended up having to pass them around businesses. Do you realize what this means?? Everyone that was in the planner pretty much lost their investment. This also hurt AC because they wasted their money on planners. Everybody wasted time and money because the manager didn't get the planners approved. With ALL these cons, I still don't regret the internship. I wouldn't do it again, but it definitely helped build a foundation of sales. This internship will help you with your communication skills and fear of approaching people. Additionally, you will have one of the best networking experiences of your life working here.

Advice to Management

Thanks for reading this, management; I was a bit harsh in the cons, but honest. Everyone I talked to wanted the app, but not the planners. In fact, I had to convince people to get the smallest ad because the app came along with it. If you're not doing it already, I would sell the app separately and focus on marketing the app 100%. The print advertising is still making money, but not for long. I would pursue more digital advertising and transition the company in that direction. It's better for profits and reputation because it's more effective.

8. "Intern"

Pros

The only pro of the internship is you can use to the internship as college credit .

Cons

Training week ( sounds fun but not really - you sit in classroom settings for 12+ hours, you are forced to learn a script in 2 days), your days starts at 8:30 am & usually ends around 12:00 am, they sell it to you that room and broad is covered (you will be staying in these old & dirty dorms on UNC campus). The program is extremely strict if you are late you will be sent home & forced to pay for your plane ticket.
    Training week is only half of it ... The worst part hasn't even began. You will be working for $200 a week & required to work 40+ hour days. The program is extremely unorganized and unrealistic . You are not allowed to take any days off. The Managers will pop up whenever they feel like it. They are extremely difficult for the fact they are under pressure and are looking to make a sales bonus. The commission is nothing ! Pretty much your expected to do a lot of work , and your not very appreciated or compensated for your hard work. In addition to that the product you are selling as been sold over and over again to the same businesses and they notice it for being a scam so it usually does not sale !

Advice to Management

It is better to be honest with interns , rather than allowing them to think they are actually going to get something out of the experience . The company is more so just found a way to get sales persons in the field without having to pay them anything .

"Worst company in the history of companies. The problems never end."

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at AroundCampus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The resume building experience was the only pro. This is for people looking for b2b experience that dont want to make very much money even if you are a top performer.

Cons

A company that does not do anything they say. Promises are never delivered to both their customers nor employees. Very dishonest organization. I would never work for this company again and sound a clear warning to those contemplating possible employment opportunities or advertising opportunities with this company. Dont do it or you'll regret it! !!

Advice to Management

Get on top of it! It's so frustrating as an employee to be constantly hounding you to get results so that I can do my job!

10. "Sales Team Leader"

Pros

I have no pros. This was one of the most regretful parts of my college experience. No internship is better than this one.

Cons

The Internship is a total scam. They fly you out to NC to stay in moldy rooms that are cold. You get little to no sleep during training because they keep you up late at night memorizing a sales script. Then they fly you back after 9 yes 9 days later and you start "selling" a useless product. Also, they are not willing to help you. There was a mistake made on my business cards and they suggested that I cross it out and write over it... Really professional right? You get very little money for the amount of time you spend working, they don't pay for any gas or work expenses. A SALES CALL is going into a business which they conveniently don't tell you until you arrive in chapel hill. SO yes you are expected to DRIVE to 30+ businesses per day and sell them something useless. Then you make hardly any commission on your sales. There are so many better options. DON'T LET THEM TAKE ADVANTAGE OF YOU!!

Advice to Management

I never saw any of your product distributed on my campus. You are taking advantage of students who are looking for relevant experience.