AroundCampus Reviews | Glassdoor

AroundCampus Reviews

Updated February 23, 2017

Current Employees

Pros
  • Learn a lot about sales and helps you grow confidence (in 28 reviews)

• They offer opportunities for college students to gain sales experience (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • It is long hours every day for very little pay (in 42 reviews)

• If you are comfortable going door to door or if you want the experience, this is the internship for you (in 17 reviews)

"Lots of Work Good Experience"

Pros

Great on the job experience. Gain first hand experience that most interns can not imagine. The training program in North Carolina is extensive but a lot of fun.

Cons

In order to do well and make money you have to be willing to work a ton. Days are very long and they expect you to always be willing to work overtime.

2. "Great Learning Environment"

Current Intern - Senior Design Assistant
    Current Intern - Senior Design Assistant

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The office atmosphere is fun and laid back even during peak weeks. The layout of the office fosters a team/interactive atmosphere.

Cons

Some of the work feels repetitive, but can still get stressful at times. Thats the only one I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome and accessible leaders to the interns. The free food is also greatly appreciated.

3. "Outside Sales Representative"

Current Intern - Sales Representative in Boulder, CO
    Current Intern - Sales Representative in Boulder, CO

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

This is program will better prepare you for the real world than any other internship can. AroundCampus gives you all the tools to succeed during and after the internship, and the Sales Foundation Academy was one of the best weeks of my life. I highly recommend this program.

Cons

This internship is grueling, not doubt about it. There are a lot of lows and a lot of highs. It isn't for everyone, but those who complete this program will have an enormous advantage when going to interview for jobs.

5. "Outside Sales Intern"

Current Intern - Outside Sales and Marketing in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Intern - Outside Sales and Marketing in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Definitely a learning experience. You get used to a lot of denials and learn how to negotiate/find out what the client is really looking for or what their hesitations were.

Cons

If you're not into sales, specifically advertising sales, this isn't where you want to be.

Advice to Management

Be a bit more upfront about the position. Lower the minimum expectation, it was a bit ridiculous.

"Good Summer Internship"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

Pros

You will learn a lot about sales and it is really great hands on experience. You also go through a week training in North Carolina which is very valuable. The regional managers are great and you will work with a bunch of people your own age.

Cons

The pay is low especially since you are using your own gas.

Advice to Management

Raise the pay

7. "Publishing Assistant"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern

Pros

- Gain Real World Proofing and Copy Editing experience
    - Experience Publishing Deadlines and Contribute to Products
    - Manage and Direct Workflow of fellow employees

Cons

- Little recognition for contribution (you aren't as recognized as other employees)
    - No publishing experience (you don't really learn about the publishing process or anything past creating and finalizing products)

8. "Outside Sales Internship"

Current Intern - Sales Team Leader/Sales
    Current Intern - Sales Team Leader/Sales

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

You develop good interpersonal skills with business owners and your team members if you choose to emphasize the importance of relationship building. You also learn to accept failure, and move past it to improve yourself and your team.

Good learning experience.

Cons

Interview:

The turn around process is so quick, that you never really feel like you have time to think things over, before knowing if it's a good fit. They treat the interview process in the same way as making a sale. They have to "sell" you on the internship. By stressing urgency, it made it seem like you had to make the decision right then and there, and it is was also early in the internship application process, eliminating all other internship possibilities.

My interviewer was very excited about speaking with me, which made me feel special, but not I realize the modem behind the facade. They were building up the value in the "product," which was working for them. I just wish I had more time to make my decision before taking this internship. However, I understand why they didn't give me time. They were "closing the deal".

Training:

The entire week of training feels very Disney Land-esque. Since this is a SALES internship, this company knows exactly what to do to make you feel like you are important, and motivate you to like their company and their product. Everything said is very scripted and rehearsed (you can tell you are being taught by salespeople). However, It did not however feel genuine, and they did not prompt you on the reality of the internship. The script served as a good base to start, but they encouraged staying up late nights memorizing it, after over 12+ hours of training already that day. And if you didn't spend that extra time, you were criticized. They also spent way too much time, on the best case scenario, which we would soon realize would be about <1% of our sales calls. Overall, the training got everyone very excited to start, with a lot of motivational videos and hype, but that soon ended when the reality of the internship hit everyone how hard it would be. It's almost as if the company itself knows that its products are outdated, non-user friendly, and not beneficial to the customers, so they feel the need to over hype and glamorize everything, in order for the interns to not see the reality of the product.

Outside Sales internship:

The actual internship itself has has been very good life experience, teaching you to work with many different individuals and assessing and fulfilling the needs of businesses. This company is EXCELLENT at selling a less than adequate product. Very good at spinning (valid) objections into manipulating the business to spend (a lot of) money, on an ad that blatantly does not help them whatsoever. After visiting past customers, I received very little positive feedback. The reality is that there are so many better marketing techniques than the AroundCampus product. Instead of improving the actual product, the company focuses on manipulation skills, making promises, without achieving tangible results.

Also, throughout the internship there was never full validation for completing a goal, or achieving a benchmark. It was always "good" job, never "great". Always something to improve, and constantly bombarded as not good enough. This caused a very high burnout rate, to continue putting in high sales call numbers. Not only on my team, but also with the other teams in the region, when discussing with the others in my position. Also, during training, it was stated that the focus would be on hard work, not numerical results. This was not the case. During the first few weeks, it was focused on high call numbers, but if you did not make a sale right away, then you were immediately criticized as not working hard enough. Even if you did put in the numbers they wanted you to, you were criticized for not working overtime. Even after hours, the managers are constantly texting and calling to check up on how you are preparing for the next day. There is absolutely no work/life balance. You are expected to work overtime, but are never compensated for it. You are expected to do more calls than they ask, or will be criticized. You are expected to make this internship your sole focus, deeming all family, academic, and personal issues as unimportant, not matter WHAT they are. This process seems very dehumanizing, belittling everything that may be important to you outside of the internship, to mold and create AroundCampus robots with tunnel vision. The constant pressure and competitive atmosphere is motivating temporarily, but is NOT feasible to sustain morale throughout the summer.

Overall impression:

The AroundCampus group employees are expert salespeople (sharks). They know what they want, and how to get there. However, they should not brand it as a paid internship, unless guaranteeing minimum wage, for hours worked. There should be less interns hired, with better compensation. By hiring so many interns so sell their product, they can get away with treating them like a herd of cattle, and exploiting them. As a full time internship, this company can at least afford to compensate their interns, and validate their hard work.

Advice to Management

The president of the company, John O'Brien is an incredible human being. He single handedly gives me faith in the fragile future of this company. Although he as the highest position in the company, he is humble and makes himself available to all of the interns. His approachable and earnest nature represents what the company should be. He seems to be one of the only people that truly cares about the people that are working for him, and not just logistics of sales and numbers. He also genuinely seems to want to address criticisms, rather than brushing them off, which shows how much he truly cares about the company. Jeff Stencil is the same way, really seeming to care about the work that he does, and the people that work for him. John values his employee's hard work, and Jeff gives the motivation to continue. The AroundCampus group is lucky to have them.

I do think that The AroundCampus group needs to work on hiring better quality of managers because they all seem to be scripted, inflexible, and uninterested in building relationships with their interns. The managers are solely competition and results oriented, to make themselves look good rather than what is best for the region or team as a whole. They model success with numerical results and individual rankings, and nothing in between.

Overall, I think that this company needs to seriously re-work and re-vamp their product, to make the interns not only excited to sell it, but fully believe in what they are selling. The company needs to get with the times, and completely re-strategize the focus of their products. Also, I think there needs to be more emphasis on the AC Brand championship because I do not think that enough students know about the app, which could actually have potential. My biggest piece of advice to management, is practice what you preach. With so much criticism constantly given to interns to overwork themselves, this company needs to listen and accept constructive criticism as well. The interns have valuable input and perspective that should not be shunted. The company needs to get out of the 70's and spend money to actually create a worthwhile and valuable product.

"Sales representative"

Current Employee - Sales Intern in Tuscaloosa, AL
    Current Employee - Sales Intern in Tuscaloosa, AL

I have been working at AroundCampus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you can figure out how to sell advertising you can sell anything. Here at ac we sell marketing. A non tangible product

Cons

Many of the markets are saturated with the product and AC hires new infers every year so basically when you get out there and start renewals you have no idea who you're getting involved with

Advice to Management

Lower pricing of products in saturated markets

10. "While some locations are more ideal than others, it overall is a solid program with great opportunity for launching."

Current Intern - Sales Representative in Nacogdoches, TX
    Current Intern - Sales Representative in Nacogdoches, TX

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The training includes an expense paid trip to UNC-Chapel Hill. The commission based program is not limited to your draw payments, and there is excellent flexibility as an intern.

Cons

Because the size of the company, some locations do not get as looked after eg SFA as others eg Baylor. Some commutes may be difficult eg. Austin College Station.

11. "Only for those who LOVE sales"

Current Intern - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Intern - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to create your own schedule.

Cons

There isn't enough supervision.
    Door to door sales gets old.

Advice to Management

Good luck