AroundCampus Reviews | Glassdoor

AroundCampus Reviews

Updated August 7, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • you work a lot for very little pay--very long hours (in 48 reviews)

• If you are comfortable going door to door or if you want the experience, this is the internship for you (in 17 reviews)

1. "Disappointing"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern

Pros

You have to practice self-discipline in order to push yourself through the awful internship. I met some cool people too...if that counts as a pro?

Cons

Every single person I talked to during the first days of training were also very confused about what we were even doing this summer. The first couple of weeks are difficult, see that you have to build leads off cold calls from businesses who "have tried this in the past and it just didn't work for them." As someone who was raised off income from a small business back home, I KNEW this print product was not worth the money and the owner will most like not see a ROI. Every sale I make, I feel guilty about because these people work really heard to make money and I'm taking it from them for advertising that I don't believe in! Don't get me wrong, I believe advertising is important, but the student planner? No, people don't look in the back of the planner FULL of advertisements for a phone number or address to a local business.
    The managers never tell you when your internship is done when they promise to let you know a week after training. When they DO come on calls with you, they are so involved with their phones and answering questions from other interns that they are almost bothersome to have tag along.
    If you're looking for a good internship experience, go somewhere else.
    SERIOUSLY, I genuinely mean that.
    I thought this would have a lot to offer, but turns out, I've only gained bitterness toward the company and towards sales.

Advice to Management

Pay interns enough to afford rent. Be more specific on what this company and its expectations are really about.

2. "meh"

Pros

good and thorough training, enthusiastic managers, enthusiastic co-workers, not much else but need to meet 20 word minimum

Cons

really long hours, poor pay, really demoralizing work to have to get rejected all the time, out of date product, a lot of people feel scammed

3. "Summer Sales Intern"

Former Employee - Sales Representative and Account Manager in Hilliard, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Representative and Account Manager in Hilliard, OH

I worked at AroundCampus (Less than a year)

Pros

Met great people, met business owners in the city, made daily connections, gained self-confidence, became a leader, worked hard, self-motivated.

Cons

No support from regional managers, no time off, paid less than $5 an hour, did not have an office, given zero motivation.

Advice to Management

Be nicer to employees, pay more, treat with respect we are making you all of your money.

4. "learned a lot from internship"

Pros

Freedom to organize your day the way you would like and working in pairs was fun and less stressful. Valuable experience that a lot of people cant say they have tried or attempted

Cons

This company, or at least my manager was a joke. He took it way too seriously considering the company has been bankrupt for a couple years now. They train the regional managers to basically always talk on a script, making it really difficult to interact with them and seek legitimate advise. Although I would never work for them again I will say it is a valuable experience/ internship

5. "Outside sales intern"

Former Intern - Summer Intern
    Former Intern - Summer Intern

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to work without supervision 99 percent of the time. When the manager is in town they spend only an hour with you or none at all (if your team is 4 or more). They fly you out to NC for free. It is a tiring training camp but make sure you go out few of the nights and have fun. The managers are always there to help you when needed. Since you work remotely it is hard to stay on track..sometimes I would just go home majority of the day. If you really want to get into sales and are a hardworker then this might be a place to start. You can potentially walk away improving on persuasive and interpersonal skills.

Cons

LOW PAY! It comes out to be 5 bucks an hour. Most people dont get The bonuses and commission. If you try you probably will make commision but it is so hard to do that..trust me. You're a door to door salesman with no supervision. You can easily go home the entire day and forge your log(also might be a pro). You need to pass around 11 thousand in sales before you even make any commision. I had no other offer on the table so I took it. If you have any other offer then do not take this. This should be a last option. Afterall you need to build your resume.

Advice to Management

Supervise your interns. 80 percent of all interns nationally went home after the morning meeting. Not enough motivation. Increase your pay!

"Sales Intern"

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at AroundCampus (More than a year)

Pros

Team setting
    Gives sales experience
    Sales training was helpful

Cons

Cold calling
    Use your own gas
    Door to Door sales

7. "Lots of people quit"

Former Intern - Intern
    Former Intern - Intern

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Really great sales experience and the people that work there full-time are extremely friendly and helpful throughout the summer.If your sales team doesn't all quit, you may make some really great friends.

Cons

You'll average about 4 hours of sleep per night at sales training
    You work extremely long hours, monday through friday, and only get $200 per week (about $4.25/hour)
    You'll lose complete faith in the product after training
    You'll get yelled at by previous (and now unhappy) customers at least once per day
    It can be really stressful
    Lots of people end up quitting throughout the summer
    You're hardly supervised at all (your manager only sees you once per week)

Advice to Management

Pay more and give a more realistic expectation at training.

8. "Means to an end"

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

Pros

Looks good on a resume, opens doors via career partners

Cons

Terrible management system, terrible product

Advice to Management

You can't expect 21 year olds to be hold themselves accountable when being managed from states away with very little overview

9. "I quit for the first time in my life"

Former Freelancer - Outside Sales Representative in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Freelancer - Outside Sales Representative in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at AroundCampus (Less than a year)

Pros

work on your own time
    work individually with some supervised ride alongs
    commission? (I still don't understand their commission structure)
    networking
    cold calling experience

Cons

was told to work 9:30-5:30 but was expected to make phone calls and emails outside of work time
    you are a "car salesman" with one product/offering, not a relationship-building salesman
    you are an independent contractor and pay for your own gas
    you are an independent contractor so taxes are not taken out of your paycheck yet; you will be responsible for paying those taxes at the end of the year
    extra shifts (not explained before taking the job)

10. "Outside Sales Intern"

Current Intern - Outside Sales and Marketing in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Intern - Outside Sales and Marketing in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Definitely a learning experience. You get used to a lot of denials and learn how to negotiate/find out what the client is really looking for or what their hesitations were.

Cons

If you're not into sales, specifically advertising sales, this isn't where you want to be.

Advice to Management

Be a bit more upfront about the position. Lower the minimum expectation, it was a bit ridiculous.