AroundCampus Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 18, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours and needs much energy (in 51 reviews)

• no one trusts the product and is hard to sell (in 15 reviews)

1. "sales intern"

I worked at AroundCampus full-time

Pros

full of teamwork and motivating members

Cons

Hardwork and very low pay

2. "Unorganized and unethical"

I worked at AroundCampus full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, free coffee, free bagels every Friday

Cons

Sales reps overpromise and underdeliver

Advice to Management

Hire new management

3. "Horrible unorganized place to work"

I worked at AroundCampus full-time

Pros

The employee you get to know are friendly

Cons

Lack of structure, lack of organization, nobody in charge knows what they doing, very unprofessional, Everybody do what they want to do with no real direction... They train you to lie to people. Very big scheme if you look at the big picture. There is no real business plan other than make money for them..

Advice to Management

Get new ones

"A Special Kind of Nightmare"

I worked at AroundCampus full-time

Pros

Young team of like-minded individuals. Great internship possibilities.

Cons

Working for this company was one of the worst experiences of my life. They consistently let me down in multiple areas including pay, professional development, company culture, and more. Their glass ceiling is extremely low and it is impossible to advance your career here. Once you start, don't expect to be promoted/compensated properly during your time here. Very stagnant and non-stimulating environment. Horrible company culture due to the toxicity that seeps down from the owner and upper management. Office is very outdated and NEVER cleaned. People stay sick very often due to the unsanitary conditions that prevail. All employees are VASTLY underpaid (some salaries are $15-$20k under market value). Upper management has no idea what they're doing – they sometimes develop great ideas, but they set goals with very little strategy, execution, resources and budget. Rather than retaining talented employees, they perform mass layoffs to conserve cash (two in 2017 alone). The owner is a rude and arrogant man that constantly reminds his people that he hates millennials (even though most of the company are millennials and the target market is college students). Employees are not given the resources they need to perform their job on a daily basis. Many use personal computers and equipment to do basic job duties. This company will do anything to undermine their staff and their customers. Their business practices are fraudulent and criminal. They manipulate customers, universities, interns, employees and every single person/business they interact with. AC does not follow through with contractual promises whether it be not paying employees performance bonuses stated in their contracts or halting print production on publications without informing the universities involved. This company is a scam in-and-out and they will do whatever is necessary to keep their doors open for another day. The reviews on Glassdoor are skewed by the 500+ interns that are hired every summer that never set foot in the home office. As a previous full-time member of AC, I warn all people considering this company as a place to grow their career. It is a special kind of nightmare that I would avoid at all costs.

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees and customers like people.

"Please Trust Me And Run...."

I worked at AroundCampus full-time

Pros

I can't find it in my soul to say anything kind or positive about my experience with AroundCampus.

Cons

Instead of focusing on this company’s low pay, outdated products, and poor performance over the past few years, I’m going to take the time to focus on something much worse. This company absolutely ruins people’s sense of self, strips away their core values, and replaces people with shells of who they once were.

I watched countless friends, coworkers, and managers wither away into different people who had lost their passions, their will to get up in the morning, and their desire to interact and grow their relationships with the people they spend every single day with. By the time I left AC, walking through the doors every morning felt like a death sentence. All you could feel was everyone’s combined misery, anger, and hopelessness.

Take it from someone who knows, it’s easy to get up and move on to the next job but it’s not easy to get back the pieces of yourself this company takes away.

Stay far away.

Advice to Management

At this point, you'd be better off closing up shop than trying to repair the damage you've done to your products, your reputation, and your employees.

"Absolute Joke"

I worked at AroundCampus full-time

Pros

Coworkers were fun to work with and cared about our customers and schools.

Cons

Poor management, lack of communication (managers outright lied to contacts, interns, and coworkers on many occassions) Owner of the company is rude to everyone and consistently makes poor decisions then backpedals immediately leaving others to clean up the mess. Pay is extremely below market standards.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure you can fix this at this point, the scramble for digital seems to be too little too late. Pay your employees a fair rate and be honest and transparent with your employees.

"Used to be a great gig"

I worked at AroundCampus full-time

Pros

Hands on experience, that's about it

Cons

Little pay, upper management is completely unorganized, leaving many in the dark.

Advice to Management

Pick one thing and get good at it before you go making hundreds of promises you can't keep.

"Hard internship little compensation"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

Pros

Training Program in Chapel Hill was awesome.
    Learn if sales is the place for you
    Decent first internship
    Management is very enthusiastic
    Paid internship
    Work as much or little as you want

Cons

Internship was supposed to end on August 11th we will be working well into the end of august because of our sales deadline
    Training felt like freshman orientation
    Pay is very minimal for amount of work you are supposed to put in
    You are basically there to do the dirty work for the company by making cold calls all day everyday

Advice to Management

Compensate the employees more. We are making under minimum wage. Tell us that there will be deals to be offered before they occur, or better yet let us know about all of the deals that will be offered in training.

"Horrible Experience-Even for Sales"

Pros

You get the opportunity to see a lot of businesses in your college community.
    If you know you want a career in sales, then this would probably be a good option for a summer internship.
    I realized what I don't want to do for a career.

Cons

This was the worst job I have ever had. The training did not prepare me whatsoever for the internship, and all they do is go on and on about how this is going to be the best summer job ever. The pay is horrible. I spent more on gas than what I made each week. The job description itself is fairly vague, and I had no idea of what I was actually doing until the first day of work. And the approach to selling is all wrong. They tell you to question the business owner and find out their needs, but they tell you to say the same thing to each owner, regardless of their specified needs. Also, the prices are ridiculously high for reaching such a narrow market. Most business owners will realize that this is a horrible way to actually reach the students and will (wisely) realize that this would be an utter waste of their money. I felt so sleazy the entire time I was trying to sell.

Advice to Management

Tell your interns what they will actually be doing, and set realistic goals. Selling is based on catering to the customer, not throwing them a memorized pitch that doesn't even relate to the business' needs.

10. "Work you to death..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

I got to make my own schedule as a sales associate, so that was nice. They also match you with a team that compliments your personality.

Cons

They literally work you to death. They wanted me out and selling any time the sun was up, and sometimes when it was down. And cold calling is not fun, but the company won't embrace any other selling methods.

Advice to Management

Stop thinking of sales as a numbers game... instead of cold calling, there are other more targeted sales methods that might be more profitable.