AroundCampus Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 2, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • you work a lot for very little pay--very long hours (in 48 reviews)

• If you are comfortable going door to door or if you want the experience, this is the internship for you (in 17 reviews)

1. "Intern"

Pros

Motivating and encouraging atmosphere, surrounded by good teams and leaders, with a lot of opportunity for improvement

Cons

Challenging and not easy but well, well worth it. Team pushes you, it works if you put in work

2. "Overall"

Pros

*Experience
    *Networking opportunities
    *Freedom

Cons

*Organization
    *Salary (cost more to do internship vs what you make)
    *Long hours

Advice to Management

Need to pay a fair salary

"Outside Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Sales Team Leader

Pros

-Experience in B2B sales
    -Creates self-discipline
    -Gain communication skills
    -Grows you as a business man/women

Cons

The Pay Scale sucks. I feel like I broke even when it came to paying my own gas.

Making a lot of money and a little bit of money with this internship really does depend on what market you are in.

You are told to tell businesses that buy that they will receive a spec ad within 72 hours. The design team was always way behind and wouldn't have it ready for two weeks, making me look bad to the customers.

Advice to Management

MGT was alright. They literally try to sell you at the interview. That's what they are trained to do. They say you can sell thousands of dollars doing this, and you can, but it isn't as common as it is made to look.

"Hard work, but great experience"

I have been working at AroundCampus full-time

Pros

Working directly with mentors, and higher management to give you feedback and help motivate you to get sales. Allows you to meet with business owners, VP's, CEO's, and strengthen B2B communication skills.

Cons

Salary is terrible, commission is fairly low until you make a ton of sales.

Advice to Management

Pay higher, keep a base salary throughout the entire internship, not just the first 7 weeks.

5. "Good for first real life sales experience"

Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at AroundCampus (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot about myself and more about what I want to do. Good networking opportunities with local businesses. Training was different, I did not find it useful during the internship but the week long trip to NC is fun. Good first internship

Cons

Low pay, Little training/guidance, somewhat tossed to the wolves. no central meeting place/homebase. You are either on the road or at the meeting place your team chose for your twice a day report meetings, which for us was a college house. Also, as you can imagine, selling print ad space in the back of a student planner to local businesses with small budgets is hard product to buy into.

6. "Intern"

Pros

The only pro of the internship is you can use to the internship as college credit .

Cons

Training week ( sounds fun but not really - you sit in classroom settings for 12+ hours, you are forced to learn a script in 2 days), your days starts at 8:30 am & usually ends around 12:00 am, they sell it to you that room and broad is covered (you will be staying in these old & dirty dorms on UNC campus). The program is extremely strict if you are late you will be sent home & forced to pay for your plane ticket.
    Training week is only half of it ... The worst part hasn't even began. You will be working for $200 a week & required to work 40+ hour days. The program is extremely unorganized and unrealistic . You are not allowed to take any days off. The Managers will pop up whenever they feel like it. They are extremely difficult for the fact they are under pressure and are looking to make a sales bonus. The commission is nothing ! Pretty much your expected to do a lot of work , and your not very appreciated or compensated for your hard work. In addition to that the product you are selling as been sold over and over again to the same businesses and they notice it for being a scam so it usually does not sale !

Advice to Management

It is better to be honest with interns , rather than allowing them to think they are actually going to get something out of the experience . The company is more so just found a way to get sales persons in the field without having to pay them anything .

"Sales Team Leader/Outside Sales Rep"

Pros

This will prepare you to go into sales, or pretty much anything you want as a career. This is truly 10/10 training and internship, so congrats to AroundCampus for making your interns #1. You will find out a lot about yourself, and I would encourage anyone to do this internship. This really has made me into a better person, if you have the opportunity to accept this position, do it.

Have an open mind and you'll do better than you think.

Cons

You make your interns go out ALONE. Do you know how many people feel uncomfortable with that? Then, if interns are smart and decide to go together, you tell them they can't do the that and you give them issues. Listen, we live in a world with creepy people. Why make us go alone and risk us being in a bad situation? You're a smarter company than that.

The training is rigorous. You still don't know if you'll be able to handle everything when you get back to your region. This can be very difficult for individuals who like structure and wishes to have a 'to-do list' type of job. If you are comfortable going door to door or if you want the experience, this is the internship for you.

Advice to Management

Why just make the training a week? Based on what I have seen, you loose so many interns within a month because they don't like the job/don't understand what the heck they're suppose to do. Yes, you want good salespeople, but make the groups bigger. Heck some of us only had 1 person in our divisions (Which is ridiculous). More people = better chance these groups will stay together. So you don't end up having 0 people and all of your hard work to train us goes to waste. Give more time for training and make the groups bigger.

Make sure that you are hiring managers that show the company in a positive light. These managers that you hire act like scammy sales people. Make sure that they are aware of the region that they're in. Some actions are NOT appropriate. Yes they are my managers, but they seriously damage the chance at a sale being annoying and pressuring sales people that can be deemed as salespeople you don't want to associate yourself with at all.

Corporate people should reflect the managers. From what I have seen, the corporate people are a lot nicer than the people they are paying to go around to divisions.

"AC Review"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Springfield, MO

Pros

Fun work environment, expense free training in North Carolina, lots of opportunity for networking

Cons

Work alone for the majority of the day, lots of gas is used during daily travels, paycheck is mainly commission based

"Sales Rep"

I worked at AroundCampus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Extremely fun sales training in North Carolina
    - Able to meet a lot of employees your own age unlike a lot of other companies
    - Resume booster (However, at a recent job interview, the interviewer discredited the work I did)
    - PAID internship

Cons

- Low pay for the work (around $200 a week for 45 hours of work)
    - Higher employees are told to tell you "In sales, you have to earn it!" But in reality, I felt like I was set up for complete failure a lot
    - Felt tricked into job with the allure of an "internship" and "resume booster"
    -You are generally not reimbursed for any resources

Advice to Management

Stop tricking college students into fake internships

10. "Great if you want to work in sales; awful if you don't."

Former Employee - Sales Team Leader

Pros

If you want experience working in a professional environment and are up for a challenge, this is great. The managers really invest in you, training is an absolute blast, and and you get real sale experience. As a sales team leader, I was a 20 year old sales manager basically, which is an awesome thing to put on my resume.

Cons

This job is HARD. And if you don't want to go into sales for a career, it gets really hard to stay motivated. With the pay being only $200/week, it's hard to actually make money, which is unfortunate Toward the end of the summer, you might realize that the company mostly cares about making money and if you're not bringing in the sales, the pressure is extremely difficult to deal with. By the last month, I really wanted to quit because I hated this job so much. Overall, I'm glad I stuck it out but I would never do it again.

Advice to Management

Be straightforward about the SALES aspect of this internship, only recruit individuals interested in sales, and increase the pay! I was working over 55 hours a week for $200, which was ridiculous.