Arqiva Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Simon Beresford-Wylie

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Senior Management present and force the culture and values of the company but fail to adhere to them themselves (in 6 reviews)

• Career progression opportunities are very limited (in 3 reviews)

1. "Overall average"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant/Office Manager in Suitland, MD
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant/Office Manager in Suitland, MD

I worked at Arqiva full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People at the DC office were great. The people from the UK that I engaged with were good to deal with. I immensely enjoyed planning the office Christmas party and researching and selecting the new office space after the restructure of the DC office.

Cons

Aspects of communication from the corporate office in the UK. During the restructure of the US operations in 2012, they wasted a lot of money on retaining employees and not having them produce.

Advice to Management

Try not to treat the US administrative staff like red-headed step children.

2. "Good employer"

Current Employee - Engineer in Croydon, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Croydon, England (UK)

I have been working at Arqiva full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Plenty of benefits - life assurance, company car, good pension etc

Cons

A blame culture when anything goes wrong

3. "Arqiva Winchester"

Former Employee - Learning and Development Consultant in Winchester, England (UK)

Pros

Flexible Hours
    Great Projects
    Excellent Benefits
    GYM/Tennis Courts

Cons

Continual downsizing
    Up for sale
    Admin overhead
    Lack of direction

Advice to Management

Require clarity of direction

4. "Engagement growing ..."

I have been working at Arqiva full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Encouraging to see the continued growth in employee engagement at Arqiva. I've been here for over 5 years and we've seen an impressive rise in engagement as measured by the Gallup Q12 survey. During this time the engagement ratio (Actively Engaged : Actively Disengaged) has grown from 1.2:1 to 6.3:1

That doesn't happen by chance - great investment & focus by the company over this period. To put it in perspective, the same ratio for that average UK working population is 0.4:1 - shocking!

Cons

Some people just don't appreciate how good they've got it!

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on making this a great place to work

"Great environment"

Current Employee - Band C Manager in Crawley, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Arqiva full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They dont just say they look after their people they really do. Great teams and support.

Cons

Too many contractors and with a long serving workforce that have spent most of their careers there or by many TUPEs some have become complacent and expecting like the world owes them a favour and a golden handshake every ten minutes.

Advice to Management

Leadership behaviours are great when developed from those new people you bring in and cultivate but some existing senior staff that have attitudes that simply suck and theyre just hanging on for next payout

6. "Very happy to be working here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Arqiva full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Having been with the company for nearly 20 years, I can easily say that it is the best that it has ever been to work for. I have had plenty of opportunities to learn and develop my career over the past couple of years and get to do a job I love. I feel supported by senior management and our HR team, plus I work with some great people too. As with most companies, the more you put into it the more you get out of it. If you like to continually develop yourself and processes / technology within Arqiva and like change / new challenges then this is the place for you.

Cons

Not much, we have great facilities on site and are well looked after. I'm sure that our CEO is very busy, however he is not visible and we are sometimes left wondering if he is there to lead us as a company or just to please the shareholders.

Advice to Management

Business Unit Directors, keep doing what you are doing as all is going well. However, you need to ensure that if rules apply in one business unit then they need to apply in all. Also, we hear a lot in the press regarding the future of the company, it would be great to hear it from our CEO first.

7. "Arqiva review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Arqiva (More than a year)

Pros

Clear strategy, great CEO, collaborative atmosphere, great team, good work life balance

Cons

overall package not competitive against other local companies, particularly in telco field

Advice to Management

review your HR policies

8. "Loved it!"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Chalfont Saint Peter, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Chalfont Saint Peter, England (UK)

I worked at Arqiva full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and relaxed approach. Interesting industry.

Cons

Company struggling in current climate, lack of progression opportunities

"My Time at Arqiva IT"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winchester, England (UK)

I worked at Arqiva full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good and friendly people to work with - you will make some good friends
    Line Management is very fair and supportive.
    Great location - it's like a country park
    Good working environment - but offices a bit hot sometimes
    Good canteen - you might put on a bit of weight
    Free on site gym and tennis courts - well equipped
    Their SHE (Safety, Health & Environment) people will look after you - have an ongoing programme - health checks, flu jabs, do more than any employer I've worked for
    Free tea and coffee.
    Well equipped staff kitchens, including dish washers.

Cons

If your looking to work on new systems you will be disappointed - lots of old, many ancient applications\systems.
    No career path for DBAs
    Seem to have reorganisations and redundancies every 2/3 years.
    The above is why I had to leave.

Advice to Management

Need to hire some permanent programme and project managers who use best practice to replace contract Programme Managers and PMs.
    More effort required on requirements capture, risk analysis, V&V, documentation and transition into service.
    More Governance required of Data..

"Falling Giant - A Great Shame"

I have been working at Arqiva full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Postcard Locations for Offices in Country areas such as Crawley, Hampshire, Chalfont St. Peter and Emley Moore.
    3 year old build refurbishment has improved most of the physical working environment.
    Flexible benefits package is on part with modern companies - however is lacking in some areas.

Cons

Lost and trying to present shareholder value via hitting OPEX costs to maximise the P&L.
    Senior Management present and force the culture and values of the company but fail to adhere to them themselves.
    Lies, Mis-truths, Manipulation are all present in Management areas across core business areas - especially the IT function
    Heavy reliance on Contract workers and "Professional Services" at considerable expense - with little to no value.
    Management in Disarray, lacking significant leadership capabilities and vision.
    Technologically backward, and draconian processes - red tape is significant and stifles the ability for business agility.
    very Clicky-Clicky environment, no matter how good or how much value you add, if your face doesn't fit - you will not progress and will eventually be culled in the numerous reorganisation that occur frequently (12-18 months)
    The P&O (HR) Department is ineffective in dispute resolution and doesn't work impartially during these procedures - Also why would a company not CLAIM this and respond to reviews - Head in the Sand approach doesn't cut it in this modern age.

Advice to Management

Balance the FTE and Contract Resources, stop considering Contract resources ahead of Perm Staff as it's a false economy
    Be truthful to staff about the company position and direction including the "Sale", we are knowledgeable individuals who read the news and are aware of the financial bank rolling of this company
    Take a significant look at the IT Management (from Director to Heads of and Team Leads) this mismanagement, and lack of leadership is the anchor which is killing the possibility of growth in this company.