Arrow Electronics Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Arrow Electronics President, CEO, and Director Mike Long
Mike Long

Pros
  • Growth potential and good work/life balance (in 23 reviews)

• Good Benefits Mature HR Decent Salary (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Also the work-life balance is not completely fulfilled as responsibility is high, so you might find yourself working in weekends (in 25 reviews)

• Also matters on who you know or are friends with in upper management (read formerly Melville now Englewood) to get promotions (in 19 reviews)

"If We All Are Not Rowing in the Same Direction - Then We Are Getting Nowhere, but Doing it at a Record Pace"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Solon, OH
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Solon, OH

Pros

- it beats unemployment
    - you enjoy taking work home with you
    - you appreciate the subtle irony of being smarter than most of your bosses
    - you like trying to figure out the archaic and ultimately useless compensation plan
    - you enjoy watching friends and good co-workers get laid off despite your sales division making it's numbers

Cons

Ask any Arrow management type and they always harp on the fact that their strength is "their people". Yet, these are the same people they treat with flagrant disregard. "Their people" are overworked and underappreciated. Arrow has forgotten the rules of providing good customer service (which strangely enough was the driving force to some of their acquisitions). As a result, partners have noticed and are starting to leave in bunches. Guess what – that will be one more excuse for Arrow to downsize. Mike Long may eventually turn the company around (though I don’t know the man from the stapler that used to sit on my desk) but until they show signs of removing their heads from the sand I would not recommend anyone start a career there.

Advice to Management

Wake up - try and right the ship while you still have some good experienced folks to assist. Otherwise your talent will find positions elsewhere and Arrow will be left with the temps and short timers that they have come to rely on for their day to day work. Customers can tell who knows their stuff and who does not - trying to fool them with inexperienced workers is a recipe for disaster.

Also – you might want to try rethinking your customer service model. Sinking 150 million into a failed SAP project and then ramming it down everyone’s throat is a sure sign that management is out of touch with their workers and their customers.

Sep 19, 2016 – Manager, Recruitment Systems & Operations

Thank you so much for writing us a very detailed review - your thoughts are truly important to us. Sorry to hear that you felt overworked and underappreciated while here. It appears this review was ... More

"Be careful here - Management will barely appreciate your wins, and crucify you for your losses."

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH

Pros

- Competitive Salary.
    - Telecommute twice a week regularly, more if needed.
    - Decent PTO offerings.
    - Reimbursement of spending on personal sales and technical certifications.
    - Ability to work independently, without direct supervision.

Cons

- Misguided, untrained management.
    - Purposefully unattainable sales budgets and performance metrics.
    - Lack of unification between sales teams.
    - Management will not listen to or employ ideas form staff, even if they are worthwhile.
    - No upwards movement or career advancement available.
    - No training program.
    - Lack of confidentiality within Human Resources.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, they are the ones in the trenches every day, and they often know better ways to streamline a process. Invest in your employees. By not offering any type of training or career advancement, you are spending money on employees who will take their eventual talent to a competitor, which has now happened dozens of times.

Sep 19, 2016 – Manager, Recruitment Systems & Operations

Thank you for sharing a review about your experience(s) at Arrow in 2010 - we especially appreciate your insights with regards to listening to and investing in our workforce. Right now, we are ... More

"I need a change"

Current Employee - CSM in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - CSM in Englewood, CO

Pros

Good pay and benefits, great Denver location, lower levels within Arrow are friendly and cordial. Can't really thing of any other good things.

Cons

Upper management is arrogant, undisciplined, and brutal, and it flows freely downhill. No sign of a cogent strategy to address a broken business plan. Employees take the brunt of disappointing quarterly results in the form of layoffs. Other than that - its great!

Advice to Management

At this point I really don't know. Perhaps seek a merger with one of Arrow's more nimble competitors. Don't assume that continual layoffs are a strategy.

"Heartless Management"

I worked at Arrow Electronics full-time

Pros

Good port in a storm during a tough economic time, if you don't mind working very late and very hard while being treated badly.

Cons

This company doesn't know what a process is. The technology is outdated (ironic for a tech company) and everything is a haphazard, hodgepodged mess. Lots of turnover, but also lots of people who've only been in this industry and have a very skewed idea about the way most corporations work. Backwards and stuck in the 50s. Literally no career ladder.

Advice to Management

Don't treat employees like crap. Don't lay them off the minute the numbers are down. Don't give yourselves big exec raises when you don't give them to employees. Have an actual culture.

"Squeeze you for all your worth; throw you away - at any cost."

I have been working at Arrow Electronics full-time

Pros

Co workers are awesome - great talent pool!!

Cons

Sharks with very questionable morals with respect to what is "the right thing to do". It's all about the $ and not the people. There have literally been people who worked themselves to death trying to handle the workload with very little in return. This is a cash-cow and there is not a significant overall interest in the employees (despite the fascade generated through training - it isn't put to work) In general, this company wants you to live-to-work NOT work-to-live and in most cases, the compensation is unfufilling at best and terrible in most cases, gased upon the huge workload.

They keep piling on the work until you say "whoa'; caution - saying "whoa" automatically means you are no longer an asset.

Advice to Management

Reasonable expectations.

"Losing many good employees"

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Denver, CO

I worked at Arrow Electronics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great workers. Very dedicated employees.

Cons

Management team not keeping up with cutting edge business practices.

Advice to Management

Hire consultants to help develop long term strategy.

Sep 19, 2016 – Manager, Recruitment Systems & Operations

Thank you for sharing your experiences in Arrow back in 2013. We are sorry to see you go, but wish you all the best for your future endeavors!

"No good"

Current Employee - Production Technician in Solon, OH
    Current Employee - Production Technician in Solon, OH

I have been working at Arrow Electronics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay was ok. Management was good old boys club

Cons

Watched as coworkers were laid off in droves

Advice to Management

If we had any I would give some. Like a party for the front of the house folks

Oct 12, 2016 – Manager, Recruitment Systems & Operations

Thank you for sharing your experiences with Arrow in 2013 - we understand it must have been tough during a period of layoffs. We value our front line employees and know they form a crucial part of ... More

"Couldn't get out of there fast enough... Depressing!"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Englewood, CO

I worked at Arrow Electronics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very little flexibility with work shifting / working remote, etc -- but did allow a day here or there.

Cons

Compensation was poor, and promises were made to improve it that were never kept. Culture was poor, and most employees had bad attitudes showing that they hated being there. Depressing environment, created by a company that is being driven into the ground with no real future or way for things to get better. Even the office was depressing, with drab lighting, no windows, and a dungeon-like atmosphere. All the best employees left, and management wasn't able to attract or retain any good talent because of such poor compensation and benefits. Management was constantly looking over cube walls, and checking your computer screen to make sure you were "working" -- exercising nasty micromanagement techniques that are only seen at the worst companies to work for.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees right, keep promises made to them, and create a fun and exciting place to work.

Sep 19, 2016 – Manager, Recruitment Systems & Operations

We're sorry to hear that your experience at Arrow was an unpleasant one - since you wrote this review, we have relocated your division to a new building (which we're pleased to announce addresses ... More

"Below the worst of the worst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Arrow Electronics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None that I could find out of years of service

Cons

These guys roll just beneath the ethics radar. They resort to mafia-like tactics, severe bullying (physical and verbal), withholding commissions; and performance reviews are a joke. They called one person a 'sociopath' in their perf. review.

Advice to Management

It's too late for management. Every bonused exec under the current regime is remaining mum to suck up all their comp, while waiting for retirement or a better opp.

Sep 19, 2016 – Manager, Recruitment Systems & Operations

Really sorry to hear that your experience at Arrow was unpleasant and you were bullied here. It is never our intention to have a hostile work environment for our employees, and wished that you felt ... More

"Difficult Company to work for or to advance in"

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Arrow Electronics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The only positive about the company was the benefits but eventually those even were a disappointment

Cons

Extreme micro management, very little chance for advancement, even less of a chance to make money in sales. Every time a sales person would achieve their goals and objectives instead of rewarding with commissions and bonuses, the management would increase the goals and objectives.

Advice to Management

Start caring more about your employees success and happiness than the numbers reported to wall street

Sep 19, 2016 – Manager, Recruitment Systems & Operations

We are sorry to hear that your experience at Arrow was truly an unpleasant one for you - we are certainly saddened that you felt extremely micromanaged, and that you were not compensated adequately ... More