Arrow Electronics Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance can be off at times (in 31 reviews)

• Also matters on who you know or are friends with in upper management (read formerly Melville now Englewood) to get promotions (in 20 reviews)

"The work environment at Arrow as a FAE...."

Former Employee - FAE in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - FAE in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Arrow Electronics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Arrow, being a distributor of Electronic components, you will have access to most every manufacturer and exposure to leading-edge technology. If you choose to accept an applications engineering position at Arrow use it as a stepping-stone with the goal of learning the industry, and then move into a supplier FAE role where your talent and expertise will be greatly appreciated and rewarded.

Cons

Arrow is financial institution focused on sales numbers, not a engineering or design-driven establishment. It is all about sales and numbers and Wall Street, not engineering. They are 90% rules-based driven by metrics and as such reward mediocrity and conformance far more than innovation, competence, or performance and expertise in engineering. Negative reinforcement is the only incentive. It's a corporate culture from the top down based on bullying. If you are into sales you will be far better off than engineering, and will be regarded well better than applications engineers. My experience is they don't foster any career growth, there are few pay increases such that you won't even keep up with the cost of living. And as an applications engineer they will run you hot with the needle always pegged in the red and fail to recognize your accomplishments.

Advice to Management

Higher margins are what you are after with respect to engineering. So embrace what your engineers do for you. Let them engineer and design and promote sales through knowledge and technology. Keep FAEs out of admin, number tracking, and pure sales roles. Technology doubles at a rate of something less than every two years today. FAEs don't have time to be your handy-man or your clean-up crew like was the case many years ago. Your cheese has been moved. Evolve before you slip any farther behind. FAEs are there to get pre-sales print position, stay up with technology, stay up with products and new products, support customers and their designs by removing technical obstacles and pulling opportunities through the funnel to revenue while participating in the sales process from a technical perspective. Nothing more. That's how your suppliers use FAEs and if you are to succeed, you better get busy catching up and following suit. Every market will be different, so local empowerment is mandatory. And that means local management must be competent, motivated, have vision and ownership, coach, mentor, and support. What works in San Jose will not work in Wisconsin. Support, foster, recognize your FAEs skills and contributions at a corporate level and reward them, or resign yourselves to losing the talent you need most of all in lieu of a mediocre under-performing employee. Anyone in management from executive staff to the field that has been at Arrow more than five years needs to be re-trained or replaced. What you did five years ago won't work today. Your good stories and telling suppliers and employees alike what they want to hear, in spite of all your propaganda, is unsustainable and inappropriate in today's market. Either decide to make-good on all your engineering commitments and resource for it, or get your lack-luster website up-to-speed, resign yourself to declining margins, and prepare for E-commerce.

"ERP Functional Analyst"

Current Employee - ERP Functional Analyst in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - ERP Functional Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at Arrow Electronics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lot of learning. Good working environment

Cons

Less facilities as compared to other good american companies

"Behind the times"

Pros

Lots of opportunity to move around internally

Cons

Many managers and directors are too overworked to develop their employees
    Very poor communication and transparency
    Outdated systems and tools
    Company culture is SLOWLY changing, but the company has yet to enter the 21st century

Advice to Management

Improve communication, transparency, and employee development

"Inside sales rep"

I worked at Arrow Electronics full-time

Pros

They have decent health benefits

Cons

They make you pay for an award you won. For the sales rep of the year they take you to what they call the presidents club at some resort but you end up paying the taxes which is like $1500.

"Director"

Former Employee - Director in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Director in Denver, CO

I worked at Arrow Electronics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Tremendous opportunity for advancement, work hard you are rewarded. Growing company, talented, engaged employees.

Cons

Work life balance gets tricky around quarter-ends; however, keep lines of communication open with your manager they will work with you.

"Poor Leadership"

Current Employee - Middle Manager
    Current Employee - Middle Manager

I have been working at Arrow Electronics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Can work remote if needed, co-workers actually know how to do the job, understand the business and understand the customers both internal and external.

Cons

Great quarter, BUT, do more, work harder, no pay increase, meanwhile the leadership is counting their bonus and stock profits!! I heard 'Quite Frankly' used 18 times by one of them and 'Thank You' once after we had a very successful second quarter from 'them' to us worker bees. You can play buzzword bingo with the lingo the leadership use but ask them a question one on one and it's like deer in headlights or they refer you to one of their middle managers who don't get paid to do their job. Favoritism runs rapid at Arrow, Denver works on a buddy system you can draw an org chart over the years and see who is buddies with who, and see how they bump each other up the ladder! If I see the Race car story one more time in a town hall meeting I think our branch will stop watching them out of protest! We're so sick of it!! It's a great story for a new employee but how many times do we need to see it? It's worse than nails on a chalkboard at this point! The days of Q&A from our Leaders live ended years ago not to mention most of the leadership. Why? Far removed from the actual day to day work that takes place! Old archaic EPR review program, bell curve, no merit increases ( unless you're a buddy of the management in your dept ) they can ensure your ERP score hits the target on the bell curve to ensure they give them raises but not the tenured experienced hard working individuals! Currently looking for a new opportunity I absolutely can't work here any longer!
    Oh by the way HR doesn't give exit interviews because they don't care to listen!

Advice to Management

Clean the swamp!!

"Any true business professional should 2nd guess"

I have been working at Arrow Electronics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Still some great people there to work with and learn from their experiences. You can learn a lot about the overall complexities of business, and should make you more rounded as a business professional with someone else.

Cons

Execs continue to talk out of both sides of their mouths, and continue to choose to be disconnected from the business. Talking about how great we are doing in "town hall" meetings, then how bad we suck day-to-day. Talking about retaining and investing in our good people, then those good people are rewarded with no raise and more work. THEN on the flip side, the low-performers (who would be fired in any other company for constantly under performing) are rewarded with more work taken OFF their plate because they can't handle it! And they talk in these Town Halls about Talent Management when deep down their goal is natural attrition....and it's working because all of your High Performers are leaving.

Then they sign these $100-$200M deals bringing new suppliers on to do business with Arrow (and scream at us that we have to win with these guys; high visibility on this new supplier), yet they won't allow managers/directors to hire any extra head count to help manage these new lines.

The employee reviews are a complete waste of everyone's time. Raises are based on how the company does YoY, and not individual performance. You do an excellent job, congrats, you get a 3% raise. You do not meet expectations in your review, congratulations, you get a 3% raise. If you put in your notice, that's when they all of a sudden have 15%-20% to offer you.

Advice to Management

Understand your own business before you attempt to "lead" people. Nothing is worse to a team when the leader refuses to dig in and help. As for the execs, you are so disconnected to the actual business that nobody respects - and worse - believes anything said in these Go-Fight-Win meetings or emails that come out. You have a house of glass on the hill and see absolutely nothing wrong with it...and for everyone's sake, stop talking about the race car. If you are going to continue top funnel money into that, hide it like you do everything else where bottom line GP$ are wasted.

8. "Inside Sales Rep"

I worked at Arrow Electronics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work hard and get rewarded. Great management, flexible with schedules when needed.

Cons

Need updated or new computers

9. "Good company in general"

I worked at Arrow Electronics full-time

Pros

Great exposure to the industry

Cons

sales company, can't get a lot of technical experience

10. "Product Asset Manager"

I have been working at Arrow Electronics full-time

Pros

I would say good work life balance

Cons

Training is not the greatest