Art Van Furniture Reviews | Glassdoor

Art Van Furniture Reviews

Updated May 29, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great place to work and great people (in 14 reviews)

• Good benefits and some good people you never have the same day twice (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours but it pays off we are 100% commission so the harder you work the more you make but they do understand and value your family time (in 16 reviews)

• Took away profit sharing, no longer family owned, work weekends and holidays (in 6 reviews)

1. "New to the furniture market"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Southgate, MI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Southgate, MI

I have been working at Art Van Furniture full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunities for growth within the company. You make as much money as you work for with both salary and commission.

Cons

Weekends and holidays are a requirement as with all retail. If you are a person who needs a lot of direction you will not get it as you are often on your own working.

Advice to Management

Spend extra time with sales people who are still growing so if they don't have as much experience they won't sink in a fast paced environment.

Jul 8, 2016

Welcome! Thanks for your feedback. Even though our management team can get really busy, they also know that coaching should be their number one priority.

"Warehouse"

Former Employee - Support in Warren, MI
    Former Employee - Support in Warren, MI

Pros

Its money in your pocket

Cons

Will only pay what they have and will work you like a dog. You get 20 cents every year and thats it and they fire you if you want to make more money. Managers are horrible and will write you up if your sick or a family is dying and you need to miss a day.

Advice to Management

Get better managment

Jul 8, 2016

We wish your experience was much better and will send your feedback to the appropriate Executive.

"Customer Service Interview and position"

Current Employee - Customer Pick-Up Associate in Warren, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Pick-Up Associate in Warren, MI

I have been working at Art Van Furniture full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When I first met the two women I interviewed with I thought they were nice at first. They told me they are flexible with time if you have an appointment. Made it seem like I had the position but never talked about a start date. Seemed like a great company at first.

Cons

When I went back in a second time to fill more paperwork out in May they then gave me a start date but was not willing to compromise with the start date as I had already put my start date on my second application in May because I had prior dr. appointments and a wedding I was standing up in as I was trying to get out of the way so it would not interrupt training. The first application I filled out was back April and that start date was before my interview. My interview was scheduled after after my start date. My second application they had me fill out was in May and so I put my start date at the end of May as I am standing up in a wedding Memorial Weekend. But I got declined the job now because they were not willing to compromise and basically told me I lied about my start date as it didn't matter what I filled out in May. The women I met with were rude and very unprofessional. Besides the pay was only 10.00 an hour. So at first they said they would work with me and then they lied as well as I had to wait a while because one of the women were on vacation so that's why everything was originally dragged out. I would definitely tell people don't work here.

Advice to Management

Your company needs to compromise a little more about start dates or be more specific when it comes to start dates, because the women I dealt with were rude, did not let me discuss anything about start dates or explain myself. They ganged up on me and pretty much stated it was their way or the highway. They were not professional at all.

Jun 27, 2016

We apologize that you didn't have a good experience with our interview process. We will look into it.

4. "Customer Service Representative Part-time"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Clinton Township, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Clinton Township, MI

Pros

Easy work, flexible schedule, decent pay

Cons

dull moments, late closings, upper management no helpful

Apr 25, 2016

Being part time at Art Van can be a great match! Especially if your going to school, need supplemental income or need more flexibility during the week. We are always trying to encourage our ... More

5. "Eh"

Current Employee - Customer Pick Up in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Pick Up in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Art Van Furniture full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are cool, nice environment

Cons

Pay sucks for the workload , no chance of getting raises

May 2, 2016

Our new Downers Grove store is a beautiful environment to work in everyday! As far as raises, every year the company goes through the process of performance reviews for all individuals. We also look ... More

6. "Proud to be part of this Company!"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Novi, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Novi, MI

I have been working at Art Van Furniture full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, outstanding training. As a sales person I can make the kind of money I deserve....if I work for it.

Cons

Not for someone unwilling to make an effort. This is a job for go getters, not clock watchers. Your success is in your hands.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to associates! We know what makes this company great.

Mar 15, 2016

As Mr. Van says "Buildings are brick and mortar..the heartbeat of this company are the people". We are committed to listening to our associates throughout the company. It's the only way we can ... More

7. "Love me some Art Van"

Current Employee - Sales in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Sales in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Art Van Furniture full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay and people. I have been with them for 7 years and don't plan on leaving anytime soon. Any negative review on here is more than likely from someone who just can't sell.

Cons

Hours are rough but we go in knowing that. The management staff seems to be pretty understanding and lenient with time off, especially since they don't get the time off that the sales associates do.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

Mar 8, 2016

And we love you! Yes, our store leaders do a good job accommodating time off especially when they know in advance.

8. "Store Leader"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Clinton, MI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Clinton, MI

I have been working at Art Van Furniture full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Tremendous opportunity to be successful. Also willing to grow, teach and learn. Not a better retail commission sales job any where.

Cons

We continue to work hard everyday to become the very best.

Mar 11, 2016 – Vice President - HR

Appreciate the comments! Glad this has been a great career choice for you!

9. "Amazing company."

Current Employee - Sales Coach in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Coach in Detroit, MI

Pros

1) Unlimited earning potential for sales associate.
    2) Amazing training program that sets you up for success.
    3) Art Van gives back to the community like no other company I know.
    4) Great benefits
    5) Fun creative culture.
    6) Continued growth and education.
    7) amazing dedicated employees.

Cons

Retail hours but that's expected for our industry.

Advice to Management

None.

Mar 11, 2016 – Vice President - HR

You really laid it out! These are just some of what sets us apart from other retailers.

"Where Winners Come to Win!"

Current Employee - Corporate Office in Warren, MI
    Current Employee - Corporate Office in Warren, MI

Pros

Achieving great things at Art Van while still feeling like a family business! The culture is unique and filled with camaraderie. Company believes their people are the competitive advantage and it shows in how many programs they put in place to invest in their development.

Cons

This is not the right fit for someone who just wants a paycheck!

Thanks!