Art.com Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Art.com CEO Kira Wampler
Kira Wampler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The new CEO gives hope that the long anticipated change will finally happen (in 8 reviews)

• This company sure provides nice work environment and atmosphere (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance is gone recently (in 9 reviews)

• Upper Management: Decisions are made quickly with no thought of how it will affect the company and teams down the funnel (in 7 reviews)

1. "The future looks pretty bright, actually"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Art.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Work from home opportunities. People who work here longer than a year are meant to be here. They are passionate about their work, the products, and the company.

We have a new CEO with a clear vision, proven history of results, and a true focus on the customers.

Cons

In the past was very slow to respond to shifts in consumer behavior, has lacked a total commitment to quality, and has not historically invested in keeping their technical infrastructure current.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on quality. Stay focused on the customers.

2. "Needs Improvement"

I worked at Art.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule was a nice to have. Could work from home when needed and rarely brought work home.

Cons

Culture: Teams are very siloed and information is not distributed through the company. HR does not do an adequate job hearing out people's needs and concerns. Morale is low and it really shows with how teams interact cross-functionally.

Upper Management: Decisions are made quickly with no thought of how it will affect the company and teams down the funnel. Very little invested on employees and their career growth.

Pay: Is definitely below industry standards. I worked at Art.com for over two years taking on more responsibilities when team members left but only saw a raise three months before I left.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, there's a reason so many people are leaving. The pay is really low seeing how much revenue certain teams earn for Art.com.

Get rid of the fat and actually invest in nice, friendly people that want to work hard. Otherwise you're going to keep losing great talent.

3. "Heading the right path"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Art.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We're now heading forward using growth strategy that makes sense and has been proven in other place. Nothing is guaranteed in life, but the current strategy has the best chance for success.

The new CEO is more transparent and inspiring. She's empowering the right teams while making some tough changes.

Cons

Some people feel nervous about their job security with the changes that are going on. The company has gone through many changes in the past 2-3 years and we hope this one will stabilize and bring growth.

Advice to Management

Keep celebrating small wins. Those will encourage people about the changes you're implementing. Remember that most of us were used to be told by management how successful (or not) we should feel.

"Inspired"

I have been working at Art.com full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

New CEO is inspiring, she is hiring talented leaders in key areas. Clear vision and strategy to grow the company.

Cons

New Glassdoor requirement 20 words of cons, it is way to early on our path to the future to articulate cons, so sincerely none at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep asking people to embrace change with urgency and challenge the way things have been done.

5. "Art.com is ok..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Art.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Art.com provides great benefits and competitive pay. Provides private parking for employees. Human Resources regularly holds work events.

Cons

The employee culture is kind of cliquey. There is also a slight disconnect between leadership and non-management. People tend to stay in a close knit group with their own department. This kind of lack of overall communication can sometimes lead to a stressful atmosphere and a feeling of being undervalued.

Advice to Management

Try to be more open and welcoming. Help break down barriers by keeping communication and goals less exclusive.

6. "Developer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Art.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees are very friendly and good working nature.

Cons

Exec team is not making correct moves. Business and research team has failed over the years to prove the strength in this business.

Advice to Management

None

"Company on the rise"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Art.com full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

New CEO who has provided clear priorities, taken tough decisions and has empowered the employees.

A $40 Billion global market for home decor products which the customers love.

New management understand the value and importance of a modern commerce platform and a good Engineering team.

Investing heavily in expanding the Engineering team, adding more Front-end & Back-end engineers to the existing teams and building out areas that were under invested like mobile, personalization, machine learning and analytics.

Focusing on revamping the legacy platform into the state of the art new smart platform and modernizing and automating the internal tools.

Extremely happy to be part of the Technology team whose contribution is valued and excited about what we are doing now and what’s in store for the future.

Cons

A lot of changes (for the good) have happened in a short time which leads to uncertainty. Adapting to change is hard and will take some time to settle.

Advice to Management

Identify and reward the real doers.
    Expedite the elimination of the red tape (archaic processes)

8. "A company in transition, priming for growth, lots of fun"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Art.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are amazing, collaborative, energetic and ready to tackle the many opportunities ahead. The company is currently in a transitional state as there is new leadership coming in to provide new direction, which was much needed. With any transition, there have been some folks that moved on, but the decisions being made make a lot of sense, and the teams are excited for the future. I'm super excited to see the new direction unfolding, and really enjoying the new leadership team that has come in. The team is feeling re-energized because of it!

Cons

There is a lot of change recently, which can be tough for some. Location is a hard for public transport, but a really nice building. The office space is dated, but still nice.

Advice to Management

Make sure we continue to invest in the new strategies. Too often we would put out minimal product and moved on, but it did not serve us well. People are excited so let's make sure we invest and continue to invest.

9. "Growth crisis"

Former Employee - Marketing in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Art.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Financially stable
    - Industry leaders.
    - Some very knowledgeable Directors.
    - Tons of data to play with.
    - Half of the office has the best view in the Bay.
    - 401k and Medical are good

Cons

- Leadership was totally lost at sea for years.
    - Growth Crisis, couldnt move in any direction.
    - Some historic pieces of the company were completely controlling information and development flow. Internal Politics was getting very toxic.
    - Salaries were way below market.

Advice to Management

I only heard good things about new management, wish them the best.
    Agree with the first few moves, some historic people have respect across eCommerce marketing industry but dont have the internal recognition inside the business. Art.com view on data is excellent, hope the very analytic people who run those numbers get more ears.

"Renew energy; Change for the better"

Current Employee - Work In Technology in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Work In Technology in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Art.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Continues to be a great place to work. Good location, great benefits, and many good, smart folks to work with.
    - We offer great products and exceptional services for our customers. I am very proud of what we are doing.
    - Also excited about having new leaders coming on board and make necessary changes. I know that changes is hard & uncomfortable (at first), but I believe in the new direction, and I think these changes will carry us to the next level.
    - Also the renew focus on evolving/replacing our legacy technology platform, and modernizing our day-to-day tools and work environment are welcome changes. Working in the technology department, I am excited about what we are about to do

Cons

- Not much Cons. Just make sure we take care of the employees especially during the period of change. Continue to listen to the employees and be transparent.

Advice to Management

- Stay consistent with your messages and vision.
    - Be on the look out not to burn out your staff.