Art.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Art.com CEO Kira Wampler
Kira Wampler

Pros
Cons
  • Work-Life balance is gone recently (in 9 reviews)

• Work-life balance can be tough during the week (there are so may things to do), but the company and senior management really respect your weekends (in 8 reviews)

"Company on the rise"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Art.com full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

New CEO who has provided clear priorities, taken tough decisions and has empowered the employees.

A $40 Billion global market for home decor products which the customers love.

New management understand the value and importance of a modern commerce platform and a good Engineering team.

Investing heavily in expanding the Engineering team, adding more Front-end & Back-end engineers to the existing teams and building out areas that were under invested like mobile, personalization, machine learning and analytics.

Focusing on revamping the legacy platform into the state of the art new smart platform and modernizing and automating the internal tools.

Extremely happy to be part of the Technology team whose contribution is valued and excited about what we are doing now and what’s in store for the future.

Cons

A lot of changes (for the good) have happened in a short time which leads to uncertainty. Adapting to change is hard and will take some time to settle.

Advice to Management

Identify and reward the real doers.
    Expedite the elimination of the red tape (archaic processes)

2. "A company in transition, priming for growth, lots of fun"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Art.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are amazing, collaborative, energetic and ready to tackle the many opportunities ahead. The company is currently in a transitional state as there is new leadership coming in to provide new direction, which was much needed. With any transition, there have been some folks that moved on, but the decisions being made make a lot of sense, and the teams are excited for the future. I'm super excited to see the new direction unfolding, and really enjoying the new leadership team that has come in. The team is feeling re-energized because of it!

Cons

There is a lot of change recently, which can be tough for some. Location is a hard for public transport, but a really nice building. The office space is dated, but still nice.

Advice to Management

Make sure we continue to invest in the new strategies. Too often we would put out minimal product and moved on, but it did not serve us well. People are excited so let's make sure we invest and continue to invest.

3. "Growth crisis"

Former Employee - Marketing in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Art.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Financially stable
    - Industry leaders.
    - Some very knowledgeable Directors.
    - Tons of data to play with.
    - Half of the office has the best view in the Bay.
    - 401k and Medical are good

Cons

- Leadership was totally lost at sea for years.
    - Growth Crisis, couldnt move in any direction.
    - Some historic pieces of the company were completely controlling information and development flow. Internal Politics was getting very toxic.
    - Salaries were way below market.

Advice to Management

I only heard good things about new management, wish them the best.
    Agree with the first few moves, some historic people have respect across eCommerce marketing industry but dont have the internal recognition inside the business. Art.com view on data is excellent, hope the very analytic people who run those numbers get more ears.

"Renew energy; Change for the better"

Current Employee - Work In Technology in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Work In Technology in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Art.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Continues to be a great place to work. Good location, great benefits, and many good, smart folks to work with.
    - We offer great products and exceptional services for our customers. I am very proud of what we are doing.
    - Also excited about having new leaders coming on board and make necessary changes. I know that changes is hard & uncomfortable (at first), but I believe in the new direction, and I think these changes will carry us to the next level.
    - Also the renew focus on evolving/replacing our legacy technology platform, and modernizing our day-to-day tools and work environment are welcome changes. Working in the technology department, I am excited about what we are about to do

Cons

- Not much Cons. Just make sure we take care of the employees especially during the period of change. Continue to listen to the employees and be transparent.

Advice to Management

- Stay consistent with your messages and vision.
    - Be on the look out not to burn out your staff.

6. "Art.com seems to be back on track again"

I have been working at Art.com full-time

Pros

New CEO, great work culture, flexible work hours, a very solid business and operations team

Cons

lack of new ideas, big turnaround time for any change, dearth of good sharp minds and value-adders, bad prioritization, abundance of 'perception-makers'

Advice to Management

I totally disagree with some of earlier comments made here. We have a niche business having great potential and take pride in our quality and range of products. We just did not have proper direction for the last few years, hopefully things will change with the recent changes. My advice to management would be to support the direction, embracing new ideas and ensuring quick pace.

7. "Stressful work environment & blurred objectives"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Art.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New CEO, new changes to happen in the next few months/years.

Great view of the Bay from the office.

Cons

Some roles are changing without notice, with little to no guidance and no consideration of employee previous experience.

Stressful work environment due to too many changes happening every morning.

Creative minds might be frozen by all the stress going on.

Overall salaries are below market.

Advice to Management

Make the changes you need to make for the business while respecting people.

8. "Sad day today! - Innovation is gone!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Art.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits and salary is good. I like the people. It offers paid parking and it is relative easy to come with public transportation. I like my manager but I don't trust our new CEO.

Cons

We have a new leader but only with a new org structure, moving people around and not a vision. After our most creative, energetic and innovative CTO left, I can see losing great talent. Work-Life balance is gone recently.

Advice to Management

Start communicating a vision on how we are going to grow not how we are going to be organized. We need to attract talent!!

"Not a place to join!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Art.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people (but some great are/will be living), great location, good benefits.

Cons

Cannot believe we allowed our most creative and innovative executive (CTO) leave the company. He drove so many technologies critical to our company and now that will need many of them he is leaving. New CEO is organizing the business to in ways that much larger companies work. A few years down the road we will have to re-organize again.

Advice to Management

Keep the real innovators and key talent.

"Nearsighted Leadership and Vision, No Direction, Company in Decline (HQ/Tech)"

Current Employee - Front End Developer in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Front End Developer in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Art.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Overall, the company culture is okay, except for several departments including the tech and engineering teams
    - Beautiful branding, decent services, mediocre products
    - Great work/life balance
    - A decent tech stack on top of laughably old legacy code
    - There are awesome people at ART.com. Some are really fun to work and hangout with

Cons

If you're a front-end developer, I strongly recommend you look elsewhere. Pay attention to the reviews written by other front-end developers. Particularly, if you are looking for growth, culture fit, and technical fit, go elsewhere.

- No engineering culture
    - Subpar engineering practices (pushing directly to upstream master, no pull requests, no code reviews, no testing, spaghetti code, apps are held together with gorilla glue and duct tape, non-quant people are coding quantitative work that is not accurate, precise, or robust)
    - Engineers are siloed into projects that are last minute, reactionary decisions to address 5+ years of technical debt and neglect
    - Lack of direction and weak leadership
    - Company leaders are disconnected and out-of-touch with Silicon Valley as a ".com" company
    - Leaders undermine new talent and each other, reinforce incumbency with favoritism or neglect, foster poor ethics and morals among teams
    - Outdated and often dysfunctional processes for technical product development and engineering
    - Too many people in management seek self-preservation and self-promotion over progress
    - Complacent, incumbent mid-level management
    - Nearsighted or no strategy
    - Company in decline

Advice to Management

Find a CEO that comes from a solid eCommerce background who understands the tech scene and has a pulse on eCommerce practices and business models in Silicon Valley. Replace the top and mid-level leadership on the tech teams with proactive, relevant, assertive leaders who actually have a clue as to what is going on in tech and will defend a well-informed stance.

Do not put a COO in the CEO role.
    Do not put a CFO in the CEO role.
    Do not put a CMO in the CEO role.
    Do not put a CTO in the CEO role.

Put a CEO in the CEO role.
    Find a new CEO with strong support and alliance with a new CTO.

Stop placing engineering at the bottom tier of your company. The culture and process suffers, often leading to deadweight 4 million dollar projects that lack a cohesive end-to-end experience and quickly become discarded, or dragging out a 3 month sprint into a 13 month fumble with poor decisions, makeshift execution, and no direction.

Stop looking to brick-and-mortar retail companies for exemplary processes and business models as your technical harbingers. They are brick-and-mortar-first businesses with a secondary eCommerce platform. You need to put eCommerce and tech first and pay attention to what is going on. Otherwise, you will not attract or retain good talent.

Stop prematurely promoting employees as a retention strategy.

Right now you are coasting on your branding, SEO, and merchandising. Get your act together with the other departments or your platform will stale and deteriorate.

"Working at Art.com Corporate"

Pros

Art.com provides a good life and work balance. Everyone exhibits qualities of professionalism. The company embarks on a few new and exciting projects that keep work interesting and rewarding.

Cons

Occasionally communication will break down.