Art.com Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Art.com CEO Kira Wampler
Kira Wampler

Pros
  • The place itself is a great location, organized and informative about the job itself (in 7 reviews)

• Good work life balance, with flexible scheduling (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance is gone recently (in 9 reviews)

• Work-life balance can be tough during the week (there are so may things to do), but the company and senior management really respect your weekends (in 8 reviews)

1. "Art.com seems to be back on track again"

I have been working at Art.com full-time

Pros

New CEO, great work culture, flexible work hours, a very solid business and operations team

Cons

lack of new ideas, big turnaround time for any change, dearth of good sharp minds and value-adders, bad prioritization, abundance of 'perception-makers'

Advice to Management

I totally disagree with some of earlier comments made here. We have a niche business having great potential and take pride in our quality and range of products. We just did not have proper direction for the last few years, hopefully things will change with the recent changes. My advice to management would be to support the direction, embracing new ideas and ensuring quick pace.

2. "Sad day today! - Innovation is gone!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Art.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits and salary is good. I like the people. It offers paid parking and it is relative easy to come with public transportation. I like my manager but I don't trust our new CEO.

Cons

We have a new leader but only with a new org structure, moving people around and not a vision. After our most creative, energetic and innovative CTO left, I can see losing great talent. Work-Life balance is gone recently.

Advice to Management

Start communicating a vision on how we are going to grow not how we are going to be organized. We need to attract talent!!

"Not a place to join!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Art.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people (but some great are/will be living), great location, good benefits.

Cons

Cannot believe we allowed our most creative and innovative executive (CTO) leave the company. He drove so many technologies critical to our company and now that will need many of them he is leaving. New CEO is organizing the business to in ways that much larger companies work. A few years down the road we will have to re-organize again.

Advice to Management

Keep the real innovators and key talent.

"Nearsighted Leadership and Vision, No Direction, Company in Decline (HQ/Tech)"

Current Employee - Front End Developer in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Front End Developer in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Art.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Overall, the company culture is okay, except for several departments including the tech and engineering teams
    - Beautiful branding, decent services, mediocre products
    - Great work/life balance
    - A decent tech stack on top of laughably old legacy code
    - There are awesome people at ART.com. Some are really fun to work and hangout with

Cons

If you're a front-end developer, I strongly recommend you look elsewhere. Pay attention to the reviews written by other front-end developers. Particularly, if you are looking for growth, culture fit, and technical fit, go elsewhere.

- No engineering culture
    - Subpar engineering practices (pushing directly to upstream master, no pull requests, no code reviews, no testing, spaghetti code, apps are held together with gorilla glue and duct tape, non-quant people are coding quantitative work that is not accurate, precise, or robust)
    - Engineers are siloed into projects that are last minute, reactionary decisions to address 5+ years of technical debt and neglect
    - Lack of direction and weak leadership
    - Company leaders are disconnected and out-of-touch with Silicon Valley as a ".com" company
    - Leaders undermine new talent and each other, reinforce incumbency with favoritism or neglect, foster poor ethics and morals among teams
    - Outdated and often dysfunctional processes for technical product development and engineering
    - Too many people in management seek self-preservation and self-promotion over progress
    - Complacent, incumbent mid-level management
    - Nearsighted or no strategy
    - Company in decline

Advice to Management

Find a CEO that comes from a solid eCommerce background who understands the tech scene and has a pulse on eCommerce practices and business models in Silicon Valley. Replace the top and mid-level leadership on the tech teams with proactive, relevant, assertive leaders who actually have a clue as to what is going on in tech and will defend a well-informed stance.

Do not put a COO in the CEO role.
    Do not put a CFO in the CEO role.
    Do not put a CMO in the CEO role.
    Do not put a CTO in the CEO role.

Put a CEO in the CEO role.
    Find a new CEO with strong support and alliance with a new CTO.

Stop placing engineering at the bottom tier of your company. The culture and process suffers, often leading to deadweight 4 million dollar projects that lack a cohesive end-to-end experience and quickly become discarded, or dragging out a 3 month sprint into a 13 month fumble with poor decisions, makeshift execution, and no direction.

Stop looking to brick-and-mortar retail companies for exemplary processes and business models as your technical harbingers. They are brick-and-mortar-first businesses with a secondary eCommerce platform. You need to put eCommerce and tech first and pay attention to what is going on. Otherwise, you will not attract or retain good talent.

Stop prematurely promoting employees as a retention strategy.

Right now you are coasting on your branding, SEO, and merchandising. Get your act together with the other departments or your platform will stale and deteriorate.

"Working at Art.com Corporate"

Pros

Art.com provides a good life and work balance. Everyone exhibits qualities of professionalism. The company embarks on a few new and exciting projects that keep work interesting and rewarding.

Cons

Occasionally communication will break down.

"Hard to sustain in this company"

Former Employee - Marketing in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Art.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great products, attractive package, appealing location in the bay area and some clever colleagues but they unfortunately don't stay long!

Cons

Huge pressure to reach unachievable goals, no strategy from the board. No recognition from the management for all the work done. Very poor HR support and contribution.

Advice to Management

Better consider the staff and their contribution

"Love this company!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Art.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ever since I started working here, I have enjoy coming in every day. I have never had so much fun at the workplace. There's always something to look forward to especially when we have contests going on. Although there are days we are bombarded with calls, we all try to pull through and make it a good day. Everyone is always so nice and helpful..

Cons

I have no cons.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Love a company that helps me Grow"

Current Employee - CSS Lead in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - CSS Lead in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Art.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In the 4 years I have been with the company I have been able to grow both professionally and personally. The salary is extremely competitive, benefits are fantastic, management is great.

Cons

At the moment I don't have any.

"CSS"

Current Employee - Customer Sales and Service in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Sales and Service in Raleigh, NC

Pros

The whole environment at art.com is very comfortable. The schedule is flexible and there is always someone to go to with your concerns. Also, they add little incentives in throughout the month that really keep you motivated and interested in what your doing. Am happy with my experience so far.

Cons

You have to start as a temporary employee :(

11. "Great people, great company"

Current Employee - CS I
    Current Employee - CS I

Pros

Flexible, understanding, nice people. Great office.

Cons

vending machines take your money.

Advice to Management

better vending machines.