Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Chairman, President, and CEO J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.
J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.

Pros
  • There are opportunities to work from home (in 28 reviews)

• Having the option to work remotely for the company is wonderful for work/life balance (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance, low salary with lower annual increases (in 24 reviews)

• Very weird office with high turnover (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Exceeds Expectations!"

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Publicly traded company with an appreciation that employees are their most valuable asset
    Work environment reflects family values with The Gallagher Way tenets well displayed and embraced by the leadership team
    Talented employees that are really smart and eager to help you learn
    Bright and inviting Gathering Room with fresh coffee, cappuccino or espresso all day long! And they even provide almond milk which makes me smile. Fresh fruit and unlimited filtered water.
    Various employee engagement events

Cons

Honestly I can't think of any. While I may still be in my honeymoon period I am very aware that there are frustrations when you have a more detailed work process. I accept that and prefer to work in a corporate environment that reflects solid business reasons to support their high standards and benchmarks.

Advice to Management

Thank you for hiring new talent! I am sure there are more talented people in the marketplace who would welcome the opportunity to be a part of the Gallagher team. The progressive nature of the company makes AJG an exciting place to work. Never stop striving for improvement!

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Response

Jun 9, 2017 – Digital Marketing Analyst

We definitely agree with you that our employees are talented and helpful. We’re happy that you found your way to us and are having a great experience. What you shared goes to the heart of The ... More

2. "Opportunities abound!"

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing in Rolling Meadows, IL

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team work, lots of opportunities

Cons

I live in Chicago and work in Rolling Meadows and live in Chicago- long commute

Advice to Management

N/A

3. "Claims Adjuster"

Current Employee - Resolutin Manager in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Resolutin Manager in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Friendly, work environment
    -Career advancement possibilities, although somewhat limited

Cons

-There is an invisible glass ceiling
    -After about 2 years, you are capped at a specific salary
    -High turnover rate

Advice to Management

I actually love the management that I've worked under at GB. I've heard complaints about mgmt. but direct supervisors were amazing and super helpful in my journey learning claims.

4. "Great place for self-starters"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Entrepreneurial culture
    Competitive compensation
    Recognition for driving results

Cons

I have not experienced any

"Has potential but takes advantage of workforce"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Itasca, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Itasca, IL

Pros

Good relationships between peers. Overall friendly, pleasant and knowledgeable staff who like to help each other. Ability to work remotely assists in job flexibility.

Cons

Underpaid compared to market even when promoted, minimal vacation time offered (5 years of employment before being given three weeks), minimal commission and bonuses, no raises or wage increases with inflation, continue to cut benefits including business phone allotment, management does not invest in the service teams who are expected to do more with less. Poor motivation and poor job satisfaction is rampant through all divisions.

Advice to Management

Review the cons and work on it. Request anonymous employee surveys and exit surveys and actually read them and act on it.

Little changes will add up. People like the company and want to stick around, but if you continue to take advantage of your work force, your business clients will notice and the good people will continue to leave.

"Gallagher High School"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall the company has decent health benefits and a robust wellness program. Some people are great to work with. Carrier lunches and seasonal parties are a nice bonus. There's not much more good I can say

Cons

Where do I begin. First and foremost, I have been here several months now and have yet to be trained very much in my role. We have a team structure, yet no one on my team has made the effort to make sure I am trained in depth in my duties. Aside from that, as I mentioned in the title, it is much like high school here. If you like dealing with drama bullying and cut throat people going behind each other's backs, then this is the place for you. People are more worried about cliques and office politics than actually doing their jobs. While the office is mostly women, it is very obvious that the men are much more valued here. The workload in grossly unevenly distributed. And the biggest kicker is that the salaries are way below industry standard. And don't even think about getting a cost of living increase or even a deserved raised. It's worse than pulling teeth from what's being gossiped around the office. Unless you're in good with the office manager or the branch president, forget being valued as an employee. Those that are, get special treatment that's very apparent to all.

Advice to Management

If someone neutral could come in and assume the HR or office manager role, this place might be a decent place to work.

"Decent"

Current Employee - Resolution Associate II in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Resolution Associate II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, regular promotions, decent benefits, and good holiday schedule.

Cons

There is a serious lack of communication from upper management. Raises could be a little higher. Computer equipment is a little bit outdated.

Very high expectations with little support sometimes. Immediate supervisors usually do a good job of covering and assisting with demands from corporate that are sometimes impossible to adhere to.

Advice to Management

Don't expect 24 hour 3 point contacts on every single claim.

"Office staff is less than professional, work load is more than can be accomplished in standard 35 hour work week."

Current Employee - Claims Service Representative in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Claims Service Representative in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexability, time can be made up to a certain extent.

Cons

Very cliquish. Some of the staff and supervisors are extremely loud and obnoxious.

"Administrative assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. Training is extremely helpful. Supervisors are willing to help employees with their job load.

Cons

Pay is extremely low. Benefits are average. No bonus. I usually work more hours then I get paid for.

10. "Director"

Current Employee - Director in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Rolling Meadows, IL

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

global company so various opportunties

Cons

more learning and development required for people

Advice to Management

develop staff and help them progress