Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Reviews | Glassdoor

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Reviews

Updated September 24, 2017

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Chairman, President, and CEO J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.
J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There are opportunities to work from home (in 32 reviews)

• Having the option to work remotely for the company is wonderful for work/life balance (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to have much in the way of work/life balance (in 27 reviews)

• Very weird office with high turnover (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Exceeds Expectations!"

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Publicly traded company with an appreciation that employees are their most valuable asset
    Work environment reflects family values with The Gallagher Way tenets well displayed and embraced by the leadership team
    Talented employees that are really smart and eager to help you learn
    Bright and inviting Gathering Room with fresh coffee, cappuccino or espresso all day long! And they even provide almond milk which makes me smile. Fresh fruit and unlimited filtered water.
    Various employee engagement events

Cons

Honestly I can't think of any. While I may still be in my honeymoon period I am very aware that there are frustrations when you have a more detailed work process. I accept that and prefer to work in a corporate environment that reflects solid business reasons to support their high standards and benchmarks.

Advice to Management

Thank you for hiring new talent! I am sure there are more talented people in the marketplace who would welcome the opportunity to be a part of the Gallagher team. The progressive nature of the company makes AJG an exciting place to work. Never stop striving for improvement!

Jun 9, 2017 – Digital Marketing Analyst

We definitely agree with you that our employees are talented and helpful. We’re happy that you found your way to us and are having a great experience. What you shared goes to the heart of The... More

"Producer"

Current Employee - Benefits Producer
    Current Employee - Benefits Producer

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company, Freedom to create your own wealth. I'm glad I came to work here

Cons

i think the benefits could be better for families

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Great Learning Opportunity, Great People - Icky Management Style"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Rolling Meadows, IL

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of great things about working for Gallagher. Co-workers are smart and usually capable - it's an excellent opportunity for expanding your personal network.

Cons

Internal politics and reporting up the chain can be time-consuming. There's too much focus on "looking smart" internally and not as much on doing things that will actually increase growth.

Also - the benefits package is lacking. "Alex", the decision support tool for benefits enrollment, seems to always point employees to the High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP). An HSA account is included, but it's still not as good as it could be, especially for an organization that consults on employee benefits.

Advice to Management

Like any large organization, management styles vary across the different divisions and departments. Not everyone follows the "Gallagher Way". Unfortunately, it seems like unprofessional managers (some who are downright bullies) are able to continue their behavior and even get promoted.

4. "Sales Internship"

Former Employee - Sales Intern
    Former Employee - Sales Intern

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. (Less than a year)

Pros

Internship exposes you to the real life of a producer.

Cons

The first few years will be very difficult but it will pay off at the end. Life in sales is generally difficult.

5. "Would recommend this company to anyone seeking a great place to work"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Glendale, CA

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture. Great people. Amazing work environment

Cons

There was nothing wrong with this company

Advice to Management

N/A

6. "Good Company"

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job stability, great co workers, good pay , can work from home some days

Cons

Long work hours during busy months

7. "Family"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family style
    Warm and mostly friendly

Cons

This is Acquisition Nation!
    Salary is competitive, but not top tier by any stretch.

Advice to Management

Slow down with the acquisitions. Enough with the austerity measures!

"Good company"

Current Employee - Senior Area Vice President in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Area Vice President in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive company, niche expertise, large internal network, constantly evolving and striving towards change. Additionally, much devotion to their summer internship program.

Cons

Work/Life balance can be brutal, employee benefits are substantially sub-par, you can get sucked into being "niche driven" and not diversifying your book of business.

Advice to Management

Improve the employee benefit package / work life balance is a struggle for MANY employees from many offices, it's not a singular complaint. Improve transition for summer interns into full time employees (I have seen many struggle to become successful and end up leaving the company).

"Company Management Lacks Wherewithal to Stand Up For Employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You might be allowed to work from home, but only if the client account you're on will allow for it.

Cons

Management and marketing continually promise clients more while keeping offices understaffed so that AJG and the client see a high rate of return while adjusters receive below average compensation. There is extremely high turnover, to the point where I stopped bothering to learn new employees names during my last year there. AJG also has an extremely stingy vacation policy - you only get 2 weeks for the first 5 years, 3 weeks during years 5-10 and 4 weeks after 10 with no possibility of accruing more. The technology is extremely outdated and often times goes down. Additionally, adjuster pendings are unmanageable for most and if you happen to be one of the few people who can manage your desk in 40 hours a week, you will be rewarded by being forced to do other people's work too.

Advice to Management

Learn to say "no" to the client and consider paying your employees a competitive wage.

Sep 22, 2017 – Digital Marketing Analyst

Thank you for your feedback. In addition to vacation days, which start at 10 per year, employees also get 10 days off for holidays and can accrue two more optional holidays through the year. There is... More

"No growth potential"

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time

Pros

Nice new facility. Perks such as free, on-site gym with classes, free fountain drinks and on-site cafeteria.

Cons

No room for growth within my division. Trying to apply for a position outside the department is highly frowned upon. I did this once and my manager was very upset of my doing this, however, since I didn't get the position, nothing has been done to change my current role. I have spoken many times of how I am looking for greater challenges in my work responsibilities, but it falls on deaf ears.

Advice to Management

Sit down and read the 25 Tenets of The Gallagher Way! If each manager follows those, then this can be a great company. Good people are leaving because managers don't care about their staff.

Sep 15, 2017 – Digital Marketing Analyst

Thank you for your remarks. Gallagher’s expectation is that our managers act like a career coach for their team members. You might also want to reach out to HR as a resource to get the career... More