Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Reviews | Glassdoor

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Reviews

Updated July 26, 2017

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Chairman, President, and CEO J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.
J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There are opportunities to work from home (in 29 reviews)

• Having the option to work remotely for the company is wonderful for work/life balance (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance, low salary with lower annual increases (in 25 reviews)

• There is no work life balance for women, and are paid MUCH less than male counterparts (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Exceeds Expectations!"

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Publicly traded company with an appreciation that employees are their most valuable asset
    Work environment reflects family values with The Gallagher Way tenets well displayed and embraced by the leadership team
    Talented employees that are really smart and eager to help you learn
    Bright and inviting Gathering Room with fresh coffee, cappuccino or espresso all day long! And they even provide almond milk which makes me smile. Fresh fruit and unlimited filtered water.
    Various employee engagement events

Cons

Honestly I can't think of any. While I may still be in my honeymoon period I am very aware that there are frustrations when you have a more detailed work process. I accept that and prefer to work in a corporate environment that reflects solid business reasons to support their high standards and benchmarks.

Advice to Management

Thank you for hiring new talent! I am sure there are more talented people in the marketplace who would welcome the opportunity to be a part of the Gallagher team. The progressive nature of the company makes AJG an exciting place to work. Never stop striving for improvement!

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Response

Jun 9, 2017 – Digital Marketing Analyst

We definitely agree with you that our employees are talented and helpful. We’re happy that you found your way to us and are having a great experience. What you shared goes to the heart of The... More

2. "Senior Resolution Manager"

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time

Pros

Wonderful Management with an open door policy. Great training for college graduates ~ good stepping stone for a position right out of college.

Cons

Once trained and in the position for about a year you are thrust into a pretty heavy workload. Not impossible but expect to work a lot of overtime.

Advice to Management

Try easing newly hired college graduates into position and full caseload a bit more gradually.

"TRANSITION"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Clients and colleagues
    Flexibility
    Managers do really care
    Awesome location and office
    Free fruit and snacks
    Thirsty Thursdays
    Opportunity for advancement and learning (I’ve been promoted and if you want it, you can advance)

Cons

Still some administrative processes that need to be fixed internally, but I have seen progress.
    Some people are really negative and don’t seem to want to accept that WGA is gone and AJG is our new employer.
    Change is hard for a lot of people here, but it’s still so much better than so many other brokers.

Advice to Management

Don’t be sympathetic to the complainers and negative people – they don’t want you to succeed even though they pretend that they do.

4. "short term adjuster"

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Updated claim software, efficiency focused

Cons

I didn't like my superiors condescending attitude. Several occasions where unnecessary pressure was put on my performance

5. "Good Company"

Pros

Good classy company with nice office.

Cons

Culture was very business-like, could lighten up a little.

"Great Organization with Family Values"

Current Employee - Producer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Producer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent leadership and direction. Although AJG is a large, publicly traded firm, it's relatively flat where leaders tend to be highly accessible.

Cons

Name recognition is a little low considering AJG is the 4th largest insurance advisory firm in the world.

Advice to Management

Focus on organic growth and continue to listen to the branches.

"Awesome Leadership"

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Austin, TX

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Director of Operations, as well as other managers in the office do an amazing job. They are willing to go above and beyond to help you, even when you make mistakes and don't necessarily deserve it. They are very fair and treat all employees with respect.

Cons

Co-workers who don't realize what they have in front of them.

Advice to Management

You are the most supportive and empowering management I have ever worked under, I hope it always stays that way around here!

8. "Ethics are paramount and Culture is king.."

Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This family run company maintains the values and principles of the original founder and his three sons. Values that were honed from early in the 20th Century when America was finding it's place as a world leader. Yet, the company has lead the industry in innovation since the 40's with many products and services that have shaped alternative risk within the entire industry. Fantastic place to learn.

Cons

Although the company has made strides to be more diverse other than in respect of opportunities for women; the insurance industry continues to be predominantly white and many of Gallagher's branches reflect this shortfall.

Advice to Management

Continue to recruit top talent from America's best schools and work harder to bring in employees representing a more diverse culture.

9. "Client Services Specialist"

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good employees, very enjoyable clientele to work with

Cons

A lot of detailed paperwork, strict time constraints on projects

"Client Service Executive"

Current Employee - Client Service Executive in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Client Service Executive in Denver, CO

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large, global corporation with moderate stability. Quite a bit of room for growth and freedom to create your own career path.

Cons

A public company with the majority focus on shareholders and annual growth factors that are a stretch. Outsourcing various tasks, not always the most efficient for US employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to employee feedback, take it seriously and act on it.