Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Reviews | Glassdoor

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Reviews

Updated September 19, 2017

1.0
Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Chairman, President, and CEO J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.
J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There are opportunities to work from home (in 31 reviews)

• Having the option to work remotely for the company is wonderful for work/life balance (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • That's why you see lot's of reviews about poor work life balance at Gallagher (in 26 reviews)

• Very weird office with high turnover (in 15 reviews)

1. "If Corporate Only Knew..."

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. part-time

Pros

Good 401k plan. Hours good.

Cons

Management is totally unprofessional. My manager spent most of his time on phone talking to family and friends. Treated some employees like his children. When he did do company work he complained about what a tough day he was having. Clients personal info was floated around the office and openly talked about and made fun of. Not a good environment.

Advice to Management

Check up on smaller offices. There's reasons they aren't profitable.

"Not Great"

Current Employee - Resolution Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Resolution Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits. Pleasant co-workers. Lenient

Cons

Poor work life balance. Constant overload. No raises company wide 2017.

"Don't Waste Your Time"

Former Intern - Internship in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Former Intern - Internship in Rolling Meadows, IL

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. as an intern

Pros

Opportunity to improve public speaking skills.

Cons

This company is so filled with nepotism its insane. If your mommy or daddy doesn't work for Gallagher, then forget about getting a job offer from this company. The interns who did get hired were the ones who went out every night and blew their paychecks at the bars with senior management.

Advice to Management

Maybe try and act like you don't give special treatment to the kids who's parents were just acquired by gallagher.

"Morale"

Current Employee - Client Services Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Client Services Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good resources, training is as frequent as you'd like it to be.

Cons

Morale is low. High turn over

Advice to Management

Acknowledge the hard work of your employees, not just the revenue they bring in

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Response

Sep 18, 2017 – Digital Marketing Analyst

We’re glad that you are happy with the amount of resources and training you receive as a Client Services Manager. We also agree with your advice to Management. Gallagher values all of its employees... More

"Terrible Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some truly great employees at this office but management is so horrible that it completely overshadows this positive aspect of their office. Nice location in a city with plenty of other opportunities for employment.

Cons

Absolutely horrible management that will tell the employees they are like family but they actually treat most of the employees like dirt. Don't come to them with a problem or concern because they will either ignore you or find a way to get rid of you. The only option is to take the abuse or shut up or quit. All they care about is sales and getting more business in the door without spending any more money or dedicating any more resources on support. That's why you see lot's of reviews about poor work life balance at Gallagher. They work the lower level employees to the bone for little pay and very little opportunity for advancement. And the sales team is under such pressure to get more business there is a ton of backstabbing and underhanded maneuvering going on to get new sales. Management in cutthroat, deceptive and completely out for themselves. They do a wonderful job of talking about their culture and values but once you work there you will soon realize it's all a bunch of nonsense. Employees are belittled and treated poorly. The pay is weak and so are the raises (if you even get one). Gallagher will squeeze every dime out of their employees to increase their bottom line and drive that stock price up. If you are considering working here I strongly recommend you find several former employees that will talk straight with you.

Advice to Management

Management in the Austin office is a hopeless cause. If the handful of people that run this office all leave it may have a chance of improving. Outside of that there is nothing that can be done. Corporate knows of all the problems mentioned in this review but they do nothing because it would risk their growth and profit. It's all about the bottom line with Gallagher.

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Response

Sep 22, 2017 – Digital Marketing Analyst

Thank you for sharing your perspective with us. Gallagher understands that the company’s success depends on the success of our employees. One of our core values is to support one another. Gallagher... More

"Commercial lines producer"

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time

Pros

There are no pros working for this company. They're all about taking your clients money without any customer service

Cons

This company is revenue driven with no customer service. They'll lie to you also . Beware

Advice to Management

Stop outsourcing customer service to call centers in India and setting unrealistic production goals!

"Worst company I have ever worked for"

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time

Pros

You have access to great seminars

Cons

I have worked for several companies in the past and my experience at Gallagher Bassett has by far been the worse. I have never wanted to quit a job within a month of employment. I figured I would give it some time and it's been over a year. The supervisors and Branch Manager are the worst , everything is negative and always about what your not doing. None of us are perfect and all of us are giving our all and try and try only to be drowned in Claims with no resolution or relief nearby. There is no such thing is teamwork. When you are out sick or on vacation you still get Claims so really you spend your vacation making sure there are no fires and trying to stay in top of stuff so you don't get in trouble when you come back. I have worked here for a year and half and no one has gotten a raise or a raise discussion. I know others who have worked here for years and say the raises are next to nothing if they even get them, meanwhile the company is profiting big time. I feel that as advertised in training lessons etc Gallagher does not value their employees they value their clients. Whatever the clients says is right and that's that.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like people and try to assist where you can instead of criticizing and passing the buck. So many people complain about how they are constantly being criticized as opposed to being encouraged.

"Inept HR"

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time

Pros

It is a job.That is it

Cons

Inept HR in Boston. High turnover. Lawsuit for wrongful termination. Now a hiring freeze! Just a horrible place to come to work. Poor managers w/o no management training.

Advice to Management

Look at yourselves management. All Boston insurance brokers and carriers know what an awful place AJG Boston is to work.

"The Truth about AJG"

Former Employee - Senior Claims Adjuster in Billings, MT
    Former Employee - Senior Claims Adjuster in Billings, MT

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I would like to preface that this is probably the most honest assessment of this company on glassdoor. I've thought a lot about what I would write after my 4 years working at AJG. It has been an eye opening journey. While the positives are far outweighed by the negatives, there are a few positives:

Management is typically disinterested at best. They love making your problems worse. So, if you don't bring them any problems, your life will be better.
    This hands off approach often leads to the development of individualism. Which is awesome until a new manager comes in and you go through a readjustment period that closely resembles the Shawshank Redemption.
    If you never ask for anything other than your salary, life won't be that bad. When you reach for the stars is when you will be hammered back to Earth. For those that aspire to not much else, this can be a positive.
    The bonus pool is easily determinable. Whatever your branch needs to make 10% growth will be taken from you. Consistency you will have.

Cons

There are no resources. You will be asked to sell a mirage. This company can neither provide most of what it says or cannot keep the talent necessary to provide it. Subject matter experts leave after realizing that this company is a perverted version of Mad Men.
    How many Vice Presidents are enough? We all know you late stage Baby Boomers didn't save enough for retirement but how much longer must we suffer under your draconian, selfish management style? Why does our organization look like a model? Thin in the middle and top heavy on the other sides.
    When will you actually care about your employees? You recently started paying for car mileage. Yet, we're supposed to give you kudos for not being a bad corporation and now paying for miles? At 2/3's of what the IRS recommends I might add. So, you're now not the Charles Manson of employers, good job.
    This company loves to tell you that you can get rich. What a load of crap. If you can get rich, do it somewhere else! You'll be lucky to get 12% of anything you sell. And your life will be hell.

Advice to Management

Nothing to say.

"Horrible company ."

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Sorry, but I can't think of any good reason to work at Arthur J Gallagher.

Cons

They acquire smaller agencies and tell you nothing is going to change. Once the acquisition is completed they start letting people go .
    AJG makes billions each year but does not give raises.

Advice to Management

Take care of your loyal employees.