Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Reviews | Glassdoor

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Reviews

Updated February 12, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Chairman, President, and CEO J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.
J. Patrick Gallagher Jr.

Pros
  • My role has fairly flexible work hours, and in general, work-from-home seems to be highly accommodated (in 26 reviews)

• Having the option to work remotely for the company is wonderful for work/life balance (in 17 reviews)

"Trades Payable Associate"

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time

Pros

A very challenge environment and workplace.

Cons

Not a friendly place to work.

2. "Claims"

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time

Pros

Employees have the Option to work from home.

Cons

Nepotism has always been a big problem at GB Chicago. Hopefully they will stop it..so destructive to the work environment.

Feb 7, 2017 – Digital Marketing Analyst

We appreciate your feedback. At Gallagher, we follow industry best practices in recruitment. Hiring is based solely on business need and individual merit. Employees need to achieve their goals in ... More

"Run, don't walk away!"

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time

Pros

Lots of free food from vendors. Not very many meetings or fluff......

Cons

....there aren't time for meetings because everyone is so completely swamped with work! Upper management is very out of touch with the reality of the claims load and what can and cannot be promised to clients. There is no appreciation for the time away from family that the employees give. Everyone has laptops and are expected to work at nights and on the weekends. Raises are minimal and bonuses don't exist. If your branch has E & O for the month, no one in the branch gets the monthly "refuel" of $10 per person. It doesn't matter if month after month you don't have any E & O and month after month someone else does have E & O, NO one in the branch will ever get rewarded. All are punished, across the company, for the crimes of one. One branch had a complaint from a client about not getting return phone calls and every single branch then had to sign off every day in an email (that is there way of getting you) that you had returned all of your calls that day. It didn't matter if your branch had glowing reviews, every adjuster in your branch still has to do it. Caseloads and new notice volume is not equitable. Some desks only have 1 customer and other desks have 10 customers. If you are on a particular account, you cannot work from home and must be in the office every day. If an adjuster does not have a particular account, then they can work from home. You are essentially punished by having certain accounts. There is a log that is used daily that has so much stuff on it that you cannot get to your own new losses for the day. Everyone comes in super early and stays super late. Not a good company if you are married or have kids or even pets that you want to spend time with. Upper management does not stand up for employees when it comes to clients. The client is always right and is always catered to. Upper management are all males without families. Adjusters are females with families. Not much career growth potential.

Advice to Management

Respect your front-line employees as they are your greatest asset.

Feb 10, 2017 – Digital Marketing Analyst

Thank you for voicing your concerns. We value and appreciate this feedback. Gallagher Bassett is engaged in an industry-wide cohort looking to solve the shortage of talent in the claims industry. We ... More

"Do NOT Work In Sacramento Location!"

Former Employee - Claims Assistant in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Claims Assistant in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. (More than a year)

Pros

If you want to expand your knowledge of the industry you can do that here.

Cons

Felt like I was in 3rd grade and NOT part of the "cool kids" group. I witnessed favoritism, theft, sabotage, lying, disrespect, time card tampering, and supervisors' participation in it. I read reviews like mine about this location prior to accepting the position and now I wish I had paid attention. It will not matter how good you are, how much money you save the company by doing a good job, how honest you are, how much integrity you have...if you are not one of the cool kids, you will be disrespected and treated badly by everyone in the cool kids group...AND the managers.

Advice to Management

Find out what's going on in the office locations if you want to attract and keep really good, hardworking, smart employees. Or, just keep the cool kids and keep losing good employees to good companies.

Dec 16, 2016 – Digital Marketing Analyst

We are quite concerned by your post and have followed up with our leadership. The behaviors that you describe are against our values and policies. Gallagher strives for a safe, productive working ... More

6. "Can't work till retirement"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Itasca, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Itasca, IL

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The coworkes are vary nice

Cons

They have layed off several older and longtime employees over the past few years.

Advice to Management

Realize the wealth of knowledge that older employees possess.

Dec 8, 2016 – Digital Marketing Analyst

Thank you for your comments. Gallagher is committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of age or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law. We are proud of the ... More

"Use you, then dump you"

Former Employee - Area President in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Area President in Dallas, TX

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, expense account and travel

Cons

Inside "click" runs things. The shirtail relatives , college buddies and golfing abilities play a big part in being with the " in crowd" at AJG.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the nepotism. If you are a relative or relative of one of the original management group, you can do no wrong. Even federal criminal convictions were tolerated.

"Senior Account Manager"

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time

Pros

This is the worst company I've ever worked for, hands down. I wish I would have known a lot more about the company before I started. I don't have a single "pro" to put down about AJG.

Cons

The company does not care about it's employees. I have worked for other large corporations and I've never seen such a poor investment in employees and their growth and management. The people in charge of our office have never had any management training nor is AJG planning to give them any. There is no basic job training either.

They have no organic growth, the business model is based on acquiring small companies and forcing their practices on them, then grading them on how well they can integrate.

The company has a 4th quarter spending freeze and won't allow their offices to buy anything but paper and declines all other legitimate business expenses.They also don't allow anyone to expense Christmas/Holiday parties.

You would think because of all of this SAVING there would be money for bonuses and raises for employees, but there's not - just for executives. My office did not get raises or bonuses for 3 years.

They do not reimburse for cell phones, yet require you use your personal device for work use. They also do not reimburse for gas mileage if you use your personal car for traveling locally (they call locally up to 100 miles). Past 100 miles you are required to rent a car and I've even had trouble expensing an Uber to pick up the rental car - what am I suppose do do walk 10 miles to the nearest preferred rental facility? Probably...

The standard PTO for a new employee is 10 days, you can negotiate more but the most they will give a new hire is 15 days. Which is less than I had as a first year associate at all of my previous companies (I've never had less than 18 days).

Their benefits are the worst benefits I've ever had access to by an employer. I pay close to $75 per pay check employee only coverage for a high deducible plan that basically covers nothing and they decrease the employer contribution to the HSA each year (was $500 now going to be $450 - probably eventually getting to none). They also don't cover PPIs, even if its medically necessary.

I haven't been here for a year yet and I won't be here much longer. I can't stand working for a company like this.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees!

"Receptionist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whippany, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whippany, NJ

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. (More than 10 years)

Pros

Vacation time and sick leave are standard. They do have a decent 401k plan.

Cons

Arthur J Gallagher is noted for acquisitions. Once the acquisition has been completed they start letting employees go. Their saying is "We are restructuring the company". I bet many businesses would not sell to them if they were aware of how poorly they treat the employees who came over with the acquisition. They also DO NOT give raises.

Advice to Management

Learn to take care of your hard working/loyal employees.

"Great place to work if you aren't interested in thinking outside the box"

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unfortunately, the cost of insurance is high no matter where you work, this includes AJG. That being said, the medical coverage is decent, along with the other available coverage.

Cons

Generally speaking, there are no upsides to working at AJG. The company boasts about their award-winning morals and ethics, but I'll assume the companies that award those are also on the payroll. There is little to no communication between offices in regard to sharing resources, which creates total disorganization and chaos. With a company this size, you can imagine it takes a minimum of a month to get simple processes completed when it involves the signature or approval from the corporate office. Everything about this company is outdated: cubicles, minimal PTO, non-existent management, zero bonuses, abysmal morale. If your company is an acquisition, my advice is: leave NOW. Gallagher will suck the soul out of your company and leave you in it's stale aftermath.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes, read these reviews.

Nov 18, 2016 – Digital Marketing Analyst

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback – these definitely are being read. When Gallagher acquires businesses, we work with owners to make sure that this is the best move for their ... More

"Will never go back!"

Former Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Big name in the insurance brokerage industry.

Sorry but I can not think much of anything positive about this company.

Cons

If you do not suck up to management you will not go anywhere. People were unaccommodating to new people. Stuck up group. Church team lead avoided to acknowledge me whenever I ran into him. I do not trust him and his posse.

Advice to Management

Weed out bad managers/team leads.