Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Reviews | Glassdoor

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Reviews

Updated April 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • There are opportunities to work from home (in 27 reviews)

• Having the option to work remotely for the company is wonderful for work/life balance (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance, low salary with lower annual increases (in 23 reviews)

• Some nepotism among upper management (in 13 reviews)

"Good Compnay"

Former Employee - Office Work in Itasca, IL
    Former Employee - Office Work in Itasca, IL

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked at Corporate Office, busy, benefits and salary.

Cons

As in any office, people have their own agenda - keep to yourself and take everything with a grain of salt.

Advice to Management

Bullying should not be tolerated - no matter how long an individual has been with the company. Many times a female manager took to speaking to my coworkers about how much she disliked me..... truly unprofessional. Speaking to other managers about another employee - I may understand, but my co-workers including a contractor from Robert Half.... just wrong. I only hope that karma comes around to this individual .

Feb 7, 2017 – Digital Marketing Analyst

Thank you for your comments. We are troubled by the behavior you are reporting. It goes against several of the tenets of the Gallagher Way including “Leaders need followers. How leaders treat ... More

2. "Great Company - Excessive Busy Work"

Current Employee - Resolution Manager in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Resolution Manager in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great company
    - Supervisors will take the time to listen to you and your needs
    - Good balance between professional and fun

Cons

- Excessive busy work
    - Dealing with complaining and arguing all day from claimants/members
    - Moderate to poor training

Advice to Management

- Create better training program
    - All supervisors should be on the same page with rules and the way the files should be kept

Feb 16, 2017 – Digital Marketing Analyst

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience with us. Gallagher Bassett is interested in finding all of the possible ways to support our current and prospective employees. We are working with ... More

"Terrible Leadership"

Former Employee - Manager in Itasca, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Itasca, IL

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People within the company were great champions and could rely on the help of others when needed. For the most part it's an open and collaborative environment.

Cons

Keep taking away from the employees and unethical conduct occurring. Direct manager was terrible and would gossip about their reports and other leaders within the organization. Elected to share stuff with limited number of people. No room for growth. Travel and cost saving initiatives weren't aligned correctly. Toxic environment. Raises are limited.

Advice to Management

Stay close to your senior leadership because good people will go and AJG might want to understand why they are really leaving the organization. Pat and team are strong but the level of leadership below should be evaluated.

"Good company, unqualified leaders in this office"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most people in the office are friendly. The work wasn't difficult at all (considering people without degrees work there.) The hours weren't too demanding and the travel reimbursement wasn't bad.

Cons

Absolutely the worst management hierarchy out of any company I have worked for. Both of the office "leaders" are not qualified in the slightest for their positions. Just because you have longevity, does not mean that equates to being a qualified leader. Clicks in the office are so apparent and if you aren't in Denna's little "in crowd" you will not advance at your position (non producers.) Also, if you don't suck up to the unqualified "leader," you will most likely get pushed out after a year or two for someone else. Your job will become extremely stagnant with absolutely no effort by management to change that. If you are a male on the account management team, you are already at a disadvantage in regards to what DH thinks of you.

Advice to Management

Get new leaders with defined roles as to who is actually the head of the office. Be more transparent with employees. Actually make it enjoyable to do the grunt work and give incentives.

6. "Client Service Associate"

Current Employee - Client Service Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible work hours. Good environment

Cons

Starting salary is low. Very minimal bonus/raises.

Advice to Management

Pay higher salary to retain employees. Lots of turnover.

7. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Houston, TX

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive Salary, Fantastic Family orientated culture despite being a huge office the leadership team work hard to make you feel valued.

Cons

Slightly limited in terms of career progression.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture going and avoid letting it get diluted due to growth.

8. "Ethical Company"

Current Employee - Consultant in Radnor, PA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Radnor, PA

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people are very caring. Everyone takes pride in the job they are assigned and completes them with confidence. It is a great place to work.

Cons

The hiring process can be extremely slow moving. Due to true process, there is the potential to lose top talent to other agencies.

9. "Amazing Company!"

Current Employee - Client Servce Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Client Servce Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tons of resources and love the team I belong to. Love the core values and truly believe that the company abides by them.

Cons

Training was rough, because of all the systems used.

"Consultant focused"

Former Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you land on a good team, you'll succeed.

Cons

Middle management can be a road block to career growth. Benefits package are extremely expensive for both single employees as well as a family of 4. The benefit plans cater to consultant salaries.

Advice to Management

Train your middle managers not to micro manage.

Feb 1, 2017 – Digital Marketing Analyst

Thank you for your feedback. A variety of factors contribute to the employee’s cost of benefits, which is why we provide a variety of tools and resources to help employees find the most ... More

11. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Itasca, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Itasca, IL

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture at AJG is great - most people here have been around for 20+ years and spend their entire professional lives here. My role has fairly flexible work hours, and in general, work-from-home seems to be highly accommodated.

Cons

For someone living in Chicago, the commute tends to be a hassle as Chicago traffic is notoriously bad.

Advice to Management

Since Gallagher's work force tends to be more experienced and starting to get closer to retirement, attracting younger talent may be easier if there were options to work in the city.