Artisan Talent Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.8
Bejan Douraghy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great place to be a recruiter!"

Current Employee - Talent Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Talent Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Artisan Talent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers! Company truly cares about its candidates, clients and employees; team has a lot of fun and has great team outings and events; not commission based for recruiters, so more pressure on getting to know talent vs treating them like numbers

Cons

Not commission based, so lower max earnings (yes, I know it's a pro too); a bit old fashioned with some systems and paper dependent still; smaller company so fewer set growth opportunities but opportunity to make your own path if you want to

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward with new technology and easier systems for talent and clients
    Keep focusing on hiring people who want to build relationships with talents and clients vs just fill a job and get a commission check

Aug 6, 2017 – vice president

Thanks! We agree with your advice wholeheartedly!

"Growing, great firm"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Artisan Talent full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Artisan has a true entrepreneurial atmosphere; if you want to take leadership and run with programs or great ideas, it is the place for you with plenty of room for growth in your role and the opportunity to own a lot. The group is good people that knows good people; why relationships are so long term on both client and talent sides. (best part!)

Cons

Lean and mean is real. Artisan is very good at what they do and when surges of business come through, man power can get short.

Advice to Management

Keep growing and supporting each department with structure that can flex with business tides.

Aug 6, 2017 – vice president

Thank you for the review, with your help and valuable employees such as you, we will do our best to continue on the supportive path you have experienced so far.

"Fantastic Boutique Staffing Agency"

I have been working at Artisan Talent full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Artisan Talent is full of fantastic people who treat each other, clients and talent with transparency, respect and honesty. "Doing the right thing" always trumps numbers and metrics. Rare in today's business environment but this agency is perfectly suited to be a true partner to professionals in the creative, digital and design field.

Cons

It's a small company, so if you love the things that come with a large corporation like conference calls, travel, seminars, middle management, etc, Artisan is not a good home for you.

Sure, there are some disadvantages to being smaller, but the pros of this flat company, personal service to clients and talent far out-weight the cons. Artisan still offers training and team-building events, has a state-the-art and always reliable CRM and technology, etc - but this is a niche firm not an international conglomerate.

Advice to Management

Of course keep growing and expanding to new markets, just never grow too fast or lose what makes Artisan unique to other agencies.

Oct 5, 2016 – vice president

Thank you for your insightful review. We will happily take your advice in maintaining our company culture and moral compass as we grow!

"Graphic Design"

Former Employee - Freelance Graphic Designer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Freelance Graphic Designer in Chicago, IL

Pros

Artisan does a good job of placing creative people in relevant positions. The payments were always on time and billing hours was easy. They prescreen with a skills test so that helps weed out candidates that are not capable of completing tasks.

Cons

working with an agent they are always going to take a cut. They take approx half of the salary earned. That is the fee they charge for finding job openings that you may have not been aware of. Many companies don't make job openings public and only work with placement agencies. its a fair deal, just be aware.

Feb 3, 2016 – vice president

Thank you for your review. We look forward to working with you again. It is worthy to note that the majority of what we take out of the salary earned by the talent is not our fee. In fact it is payed... More

"Working At Artisan"

I have been working at Artisan Talent full-time

Pros

It's a truly fantastic environment to work in! Everyone operates as a team - always there to help each other succeed.

Cons

None

Nov 4, 2015 – vice president

Thank you for your feedback. We hope to continue fostering a positive team approach to all of our tasks and are glad to see that things are working out well for you.

"Best creative staffing company in Chicago!"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I worked at Artisan Talent full-time

Pros

Artisan has a 25+ year history of representing freelance and fulltime talent for top-notch jobs. Better yet: their connections in the design industry are built upon years of genuine interest in what creatives "do all day," an understanding of what drives them, and what they need in a strategic partner when it comes to the business of finding work/talent. No one can match the resources that Artisan offers to freelance talent: health insurance and other benefits, direct deposit, Lynda.com training, career coaching, resume writing, and more. Internally, management works closely with each employee to find the right "match" between their skills and company needs, even creating new positions when necessary.

Cons

Artisan isn't always the fastest or most cost-effective choice -- a direct result of investing time, energy, intelligence and money into building longstanding relationships with clients and candidates, getting to know what truly works well. If you are just looking for resumes, or only want to "be" a resume, go elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Continue to lead by example with internal transparency in communication, optimism, and proactive praise. Look for new ways to promote Artisan as a thought leader in creative staffing.

Aug 12, 2015 – vice president

Thank you for your valuable feedback and advice. We will definitely work on implementing new ways of getting the word out about how we do business and continue with the work ethic and culture... More

"Agile talent-focused operation"

Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in New York, NY

Pros

I have been working for Artisan NYC for over 4 years and we pride ourselves in being able to consistently adjust ourselves to the changing forces of talent marketplace.

Everyone here truly values new ideas - as quirky as they may be. These ideas have helped us feel appreciated, heard and valued as employees. Also these ideas have helped us stay relevant for the talent we serve.

Personally, i have grown tremendously at Artisan. The company is structured to allow for anyone who starts working here to essentially crate their own path as long as it aligns with team's overall direction. Teamwork is also something Artisan rewards financially - so the environment is built to foster strong bonds both internally and externally.

Cons

This is a fast paced environment and as such has its own challenges. However, at Artisan i always felt how i felt in grad school. We are all on the same team and therefore we always had fun even when it gets rough.

Advice to Management

Continue staying true to our team's mission of servicing our creative talent.

Feb 11, 2015 – vice president

Thank you for the thoughtful review and the great ideas. Please keep them coming! We will certainly continue to stay true to our mission by creating great matches for both our clients and our talent.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

I've been very pleased with my brief period at Artisan. Everyone I've met and dealt with from the company has been great to work with. They're a warm group that embraces new people well. The President and Vice President are very easy to talk to you and make you care about their company, I also appreciate their outreach to charity and connection with local groups. Compensation is on par with comparable jobs and they are flexible/open to remote work.

Cons

I haven't discovered any cons as of yet. It is a small company, so growth within may not be as plentiful as with a larger company, but I'm satisfied.

Feb 16, 2015 – vice president

Thank you. We strive to nurture great long term relationships with all of our employees

"Best creative staffing agency in nyc"

Former Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY

Pros

Talent reps who care, real jobs, decent rates

Cons

Freelance is hard and people are challenging to manage

Advice to Management

Grow the team and implement training

Feb 11, 2015 – vice president

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are consistently rated in the nation's top 2% of staffing companies because of top notch recruiters like you and know how much we all care about the talent we... More

"Working with Artisan Team"

I worked at Artisan Talent (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff is extremely helpful, supportive, and nice.

Cons

No cons to working with them

Feb 3, 2015 – vice president

Thanks for your feedback. We look forward to working with you again! :)