Arup Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Arup Group Chairman Greg Hodkinson
Greg Hodkinson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work/life balance (if you tackle the subject well with your team) (in 42 reviews)

• Very interesting projects, and the company is very well respected in the industry which you get to reap the benefits of (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can sometimes be a challenge (in 23 reviews)

• Some long hours if work not scoped correctly (in 29 reviews)

"Project Administrator"

Former Employee - Project Administrator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Administrator in New York, NY

I worked at Arup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salaries are low, but probably comparable to other engineering firms. Great benefits.

Cons

They expect complete devotion, long nights, weekends, burn out rate is high.

Advice to Management

Don't let the people who you took time and effort to train leave just to get paid better.

2. "Graduate Engineer"

I worked at Arup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of projects exposures and resources in the company

Cons

No training and expect you to learn through working

Advice to Management

Provide systematic training to new graduate and build solid technical skills before pushing them to face clients

3. "Cost estimator on construction and infrastructure projects"

Current Employee - Cost Estimator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Cost Estimator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Arup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Super qualified people with great engineering experience. Complex projects and new challenges every day. Flexibility on what you want to learn and achieve

Cons

Lack of collaborations and communication, lack of soft skills to motivate and perform better every day. Few management guidance and communication

Advice to Management

Promote soft skills

"Not Satisfying - Just a Job"

Current Employee - Graduate Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Graduate Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Arup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Recognizable and prestigious company. It has a good reputation in the AEC world.
    - Projects can be high profile
    - Peers tend to be nice and fun to hang out with
    - Decent benefits
    - Work-Life Balance is decent
    - Overtime pay if you stay late (straight time though, not 1.5X. And only if approved)

Cons

- Personally, I've rarely feel a sense of satisfaction working here, and not because I don't try or work hard enough. I feel disconnected from the work and barely think about it when I'm not in the office (that could be a pro or con depending on how you look at it)
    - Little recognition or reward for the top performers in the company, which drives all the good people out. (I'm not referring to myself, I'm talking about the best people I work with).
    - Pay is not good for the field. Their pay structure means people of the same grade across different locations make the same amount of money. Not good if you work in NYC.
    - Arup tries to convince you what you're doing is changing the world. Translation: "We don't have to pay you as much because we are giving you this great opportunity for global impact". Most companies tend to pay you more if you're actually on challenging projects that make a difference, just saying.
    - Raises/promotions are only given one time a year - if you don't make it, better luck next year and surviving on your current pay.
    - Disconnected management - My direct supervisor barely talks to me or cares about what I want in terms of career goals.
    - The culture of the company can make it feel like a cult - some refer to themselves as "Arupians", and not in a sarcastic way.
    - Not much direction is given. I feel like I just get tasked with little to no motivation behind it.
    - The company is known for Structural/Civil projects and the people in those disciplines definitely like it better than the rest. The MEP disciplines tend to feel like the step-children of the company.

Advice to Management

- Promote more than once a year, too often people get left behind due to the strictness of this policy.
    - Clue the lower tier engineers on whats going on and give some motivation for the work we do instead of blindly tasking us without background.

"Long hours and competition"

I worked at Arup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits. Learn a lot. Good atmosphere for the most part with select people.
    Depending on your position, you might be able to travel for work, or even go out of the country for 1-2 years.

Cons

Too much competition. These are young and smart minds that feel a lot of entitlement to everything. Long hours with little pay. Expect to work 50-60 hrs a week for entry level.
    You have to leave and come back to make more money here. Principles make anywhere up to $450K a year, these are people that came from the outside.
    Depending on who your supervisor is, you might like or dislike coming into work.
    If you are applying for Facilities, IT, Media team, you are everyone else's work horse.
    The Americas organization of Arup is always strapped for cash, so don't expect a big pay raise.

6. "Great Environment to Learn"

I worked at Arup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They place a high value on innovation, creativity, and learning. Most of the projects they work on are very prestigious and interesting. They also allow remote work and international work after you have been with the company for an extended time. They allow you to build a diverse portfolio and try new areas within your field.

Cons

They are a large company, so they have developed antiquated business practices that do not apply to the modern industry. Their various teams are not all created equal, and it is easy to become lost with the vast number of employees. They do not offer competitive pay, and advancement is very slow. There are more lucrative opportunities available in the Bay Area.

Advice to Management

Take a step back to analyze the current business structure and format to meet the standards of modern society. Businesses today do not operate in the same way corporations behaved 50 years ago.

"Mechanical Engineer"

I have been working at Arup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Involvement in various prestigious projects of different types. Friendly staff who challenge and are willing to help lower staff who have questions. Opportunity to explore different ventures which may benefit the company - such as web developing, programming, etc.

Cons

Projects tend to come from higher profile clients who have tight deadlines. Often times deadlines are not flexible - this leads to the typical office hours extending late into the night and occasionally on weekends. Company expects employees to also pursue additional training and development goals which will benefit the company. Large culture of social drinking within office.

Advice to Management

Apply less pressure on staff to work overtime and help employees create a better work life balance. Management should respect employee choice to reject overtime work.

"toxic environment"

I worked at Arup full-time

Pros

It's a nice office and engineers are great to work with.

Cons

Poor training and toxic environment to learn and work. Office politics got in the way of me as a new hire to do my job.

"Good place to start"

Pros

Some knowledgeable engineers, vast project resources and experience within the company

Cons

Many people are there to just get a paycheck and not shape a better world

10. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Arup full-time

Pros

Great benefits, pay is decent, paid overtime, profit sharing, opportunities for education and learning new technologies (if you find them), lots of small perks. Very interesting projects, and the company is very well respected in the industry which you get to reap the benefits of. A fair amount of opportunities for advancement, though you do have to pursue them. Also management is fairly approachable, depending on your discipline.

Cons

Workload can be very uneven, meaning some people may work very late hours where others go home early. Low performing employees are allowed to coast without much consequence. Feeling "burnt out" is somewhat common. A lot of "red tape" for getting simple things done as well.

Advice to Management

Arup is doing very well in my opinion, but don't be afraid to have some consequences for lower performing employees, don't rely solely on your top performers, or they will burn out and leave.