Arup Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Arup Group Chairman Greg Hodkinson
Greg Hodkinson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work/life balance (if you tackle the subject well with your team) (in 40 reviews)

• Very interesting projects, and the company is very well respected in the industry which you get to reap the benefits of (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can sometimes be a challenge (in 22 reviews)

• Some long hours if work not scoped correctly (in 27 reviews)

1. "Great Environment to Learn"

I worked at Arup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They place a high value on innovation, creativity, and learning. Most of the projects they work on are very prestigious and interesting. They also allow remote work and international work after you have been with the company for an extended time. They allow you to build a diverse portfolio and try new areas within your field.

Cons

They are a large company, so they have developed antiquated business practices that do not apply to the modern industry. Their various teams are not all created equal, and it is easy to become lost with the vast number of employees. They do not offer competitive pay, and advancement is very slow. There are more lucrative opportunities available in the Bay Area.

Advice to Management

Take a step back to analyze the current business structure and format to meet the standards of modern society. Businesses today do not operate in the same way corporations behaved 50 years ago.

"Long hours and competition"

I worked at Arup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits. Learn a lot. Good atmosphere for the most part with select people.
    Depending on your position, you might be able to travel for work, or even go out of the country for 1-2 years.

Cons

Too much competition. These are young and smart minds that feel a lot of entitlement to everything. Long hours with little pay. Expect to work 50-60 hrs a week for entry level.
    You have to leave and come back to make more money here. Principles make anywhere up to $450K a year, these are people that came from the outside.
    Depending on who your supervisor is, you might like or dislike coming into work.
    If you are applying for Facilities, IT, Media team, you are everyone else's work horse.
    The Americas organization of Arup is always strapped for cash, so don't expect a big pay raise.

3. "Frat boy culture; management are sharks"

Former Employee - Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Arup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great projects that look great on your resumes. Lots of company perks and great benefits.

Cons

Because you get a lot of company perks, great benefits, and get to work on high profile projects, the pay is less than average. Expect to work a lot of overtime in the ballpark of 60-80 hours a week. You also need to "drink the company kool-aid" in order to tolerate some of the insufferable people here.

Associates and principals have no social cues. Often crass and out of touch when trying to relate to junior engineers. My direct appraiser and management often talked crap about my peers in my presence. Completely unprofessional.

I was a female engineer at this office. I got talked down to a lot by many of my male peers. I would be in meetings and my work would be questioned a lot, but not the work of my male peers in the same meeting. We both did equal quality work and comparable types of projects. Being a woman in this office was hell.

This company hires some of the smartest people in the world, but they're also some of the most patronizing, negative, nihilistic frat boys who are out of touch with reality. Arup is like the Uber of the A/E/C industry. I'm just happy I got the experience and licensure that I needed while I was here to move onto better A/E/C firms.

Advice to Management

Learn to treat your employees better. Practice gender equity and diversity & inclusion instead of showboating that the company espouses these values in your fancy little marketing pamphlets and press releases.

"Transaction Advice"

Current Employee - Transaction Advice in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Transaction Advice in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Arup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is good in comparison to other competitors.
    Paid overtime which allows to compensate for low salary.
    Bonuses are not decent.
    Nor are salary increases.

Cons

Lower than competitors pay even in expensive cities.
    Hard to get promotions.
    Lower levels not valued.
    Repetitive work.
    Disconnection with upper management.

"Engineer"

I worked at Arup full-time

Pros

Get to work on large prestigious projects.
    Has an international presence, with some opportunities to work on those projects.

Cons

Despite the holistic approach, your often left to figure out things for yourself without support. People tend to work in their silos.
    Upper management can be rigid, distant and poor at communicating.

Advice to Management

Do more to support and promote collaboration.
    Be more flexible and approachable, also more communicative.

6. "Bim Designer"

Current Employee - BIM Designer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - BIM Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Arup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company, top engineering team, great projects, everyone is very friendly

Cons

Better pay,No parking, overall great firm to work for

"Graduate Plumbing Engineer"

Former Employee - Graduate Pluming Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Graduate Pluming Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Arup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The working environment is vibrant and exciting. There is a wide variety of projects to work on that will allow you to hone existing skills and develop new ones.

Cons

The work life balance is difficult to maintain with the large workload. There is not a formal training process. You will be thrown into uncomfortable situations that will be challenging and rewarding.

Advice to Management

There should be a better method to manage employee's time. Management is the only real buffer that can protect an employee from being resourced too much.

8. "Intern"

Current Employee - Interim Engineering in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Interim Engineering in New York, NY

I have been working at Arup (Less than a year)

Pros

International culture, helpful collaborative culture

Cons

Difficult finding projects and navigating the teams.

Advice to Management

Improve the training for starting engineers

9. "Smart people not good at management"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Arup full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some very smart people around coming up with very good engineering.

Cons

Unrealistic schedules, not enough QA on the work done, always under pressure.

Advice to Management

Be more realistic on your scheduling and resource planning.

10. "Graduate Bridge Engineer"

Current Employee - Graduate Bridge Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Graduate Bridge Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Arup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has a phenomenal business model, incorporating the idea of "total architecture" which facilitates multi discipline design for any given project. Everyone that works there is extremely friendly and helpful. Arup encourages career development on the individual level by providing resources to learn and grow as an engineer.

Cons

I cannot find any cons of working at Arup. Then again I've only been working for this company for two weeks, not including the 12 week internship I had this past summer. g to leave arup.

Advice to Management

Simply keep doing what you've been doing; this company is more than a pleasure to work for, I couldn't see myself ever wanting to leave Arup.