Arup Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 15, 2017

Arup Group Chairman Greg Hodkinson
Greg Hodkinson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work/life balance (if you tackle the subject well with your team) (in 42 reviews)

• Very interesting projects, and the company is very well respected in the industry which you get to reap the benefits of (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can sometimes be a challenge (in 23 reviews)

• Some long hours if work not scoped correctly (in 29 reviews)

1. "Graduate Engineer"

I worked at Arup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of projects exposures and resources in the company

Cons

No training and expect you to learn through working

Advice to Management

Provide systematic training to new graduate and build solid technical skills before pushing them to face clients

"Not Satisfying - Just a Job"

Current Employee - Graduate Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Graduate Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Arup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Recognizable and prestigious company. It has a good reputation in the AEC world.
    - Projects can be high profile
    - Peers tend to be nice and fun to hang out with
    - Decent benefits
    - Work-Life Balance is decent
    - Overtime pay if you stay late (straight time though, not 1.5X. And only if approved)

Cons

- Personally, I've rarely feel a sense of satisfaction working here, and not because I don't try or work hard enough. I feel disconnected from the work and barely think about it when I'm not in the office (that could be a pro or con depending on how you look at it)
    - Little recognition or reward for the top performers in the company, which drives all the good people out. (I'm not referring to myself, I'm talking about the best people I work with).
    - Pay is not good for the field. Their pay structure means people of the same grade across different locations make the same amount of money. Not good if you work in NYC.
    - Arup tries to convince you what you're doing is changing the world. Translation: "We don't have to pay you as much because we are giving you this great opportunity for global impact". Most companies tend to pay you more if you're actually on challenging projects that make a difference, just saying.
    - Raises/promotions are only given one time a year - if you don't make it, better luck next year and surviving on your current pay.
    - Disconnected management - My direct supervisor barely talks to me or cares about what I want in terms of career goals.
    - The culture of the company can make it feel like a cult - some refer to themselves as "Arupians", and not in a sarcastic way.
    - Not much direction is given. I feel like I just get tasked with little to no motivation behind it.
    - The company is known for Structural/Civil projects and the people in those disciplines definitely like it better than the rest. The MEP disciplines tend to feel like the step-children of the company.

Advice to Management

- Promote more than once a year, too often people get left behind due to the strictness of this policy.
    - Clue the lower tier engineers on whats going on and give some motivation for the work we do instead of blindly tasking us without background.

"Long hours and competition"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Arup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits. Learn a lot. Good atmosphere for the most part with select people.
    Depending on your position, you might be able to travel for work, or even go out of the country for 1-2 years.

Cons

Too much competition. These are young and smart minds that feel a lot of entitlement to everything. Long hours with little pay. Expect to work 50-60 hrs a week for entry level.
    You have to leave and come back to make more money here. Principles make anywhere up to $450K a year, these are people that came from the outside.
    Depending on who your supervisor is, you might like or dislike coming into work.
    If you are applying for Facilities, IT, Media team, you are everyone else's work horse.
    The Americas organization of Arup is always strapped for cash, so don't expect a big pay raise.

"Good place to start"

Pros

Some knowledgeable engineers, vast project resources and experience within the company

Cons

Many people are there to just get a paycheck and not shape a better world

"Engineer"

I worked at Arup full-time

Pros

Get to work on large prestigious projects.
    Has an international presence, with some opportunities to work on those projects.

Cons

Despite the holistic approach, your often left to figure out things for yourself without support. People tend to work in their silos.
    Upper management can be rigid, distant and poor at communicating.

Advice to Management

Do more to support and promote collaboration.
    Be more flexible and approachable, also more communicative.

"Transaction Advice"

Current Employee - Transaction Advice in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Transaction Advice in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Arup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is good in comparison to other competitors.
    Paid overtime which allows to compensate for low salary.
    Bonuses are not decent.
    Nor are salary increases.

Cons

Lower than competitors pay even in expensive cities.
    Hard to get promotions.
    Lower levels not valued.
    Repetitive work.
    Disconnection with upper management.

7. "Great Minds and Potential"

I have been working at Arup full-time

Pros

Benefits are great and the projects are very interesting. The culture really cultivates a community effort for greatness.

Cons

Since there are many great minds here egos sometimes get in the way. Long hours are expected and not as often compensated, which causes some work/life balance issues.

Advice to Management

There needs to be a focus on changing some cultural aspects and realign with Ova Arup's vision.

8. "Smart people not good at management"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Arup full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some very smart people around coming up with very good engineering.

Cons

Unrealistic schedules, not enough QA on the work done, always under pressure.

Advice to Management

Be more realistic on your scheduling and resource planning.

9. "Good culture, good projects but too much politics"

I worked at Arup full-time

Pros

Good company overall culture, company has a good image in the industry. Opportunities for large and iconic projects once in a while. Health insurance is good but starting to decline. Lots of smart people in the company to work with.

Cons

Too much politics, senior staff with a UK background seem to get advanced and promoted quicker. Salary is below average in the local job market. Office higher management seem to find every possible excuse to hold off promotions to staff to keep their grade and cost low. Unpaid overtime is an unspoken expectation. Foreign employees get lower salaries on average. Good company overall culture but down to office level it does not seem to be maintained. Office leadership seems to try to hold an upper hand to its staff and take as much advantage of its staff as possible.

Advice to Management

Be more supportive to staff's career advancement. Get more socially engaged locally.

10. "Intern"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Arup as an intern

Pros

Lot of interns willing to help you

Cons

Lot of times your put to work alone and its hard to get outside help

Advice to Management

Form more group projects to bring everyone together