Arup Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Arup Group Chairman Greg Hodkinson
Greg Hodkinson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work/life balance (if you tackle the subject well with your team) (in 40 reviews)

• Very interesting projects, and the company is very well respected in the industry which you get to reap the benefits of (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can sometimes be a challenge (in 22 reviews)

• Some long hours if work not scoped correctly (in 27 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Arup full-time

Pros

Great benefits, pay is decent, paid overtime, profit sharing, opportunities for education and learning new technologies (if you find them), lots of small perks. Very interesting projects, and the company is very well respected in the industry which you get to reap the benefits of. A fair amount of opportunities for advancement, though you do have to pursue them. Also management is fairly approachable, depending on your discipline.

Cons

Workload can be very uneven, meaning some people may work very late hours where others go home early. Low performing employees are allowed to coast without much consequence. Feeling "burnt out" is somewhat common. A lot of "red tape" for getting simple things done as well.

Advice to Management

Arup is doing very well in my opinion, but don't be afraid to have some consequences for lower performing employees, don't rely solely on your top performers, or they will burn out and leave.

2. "Bim Designer"

Current Employee - BIM Designer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - BIM Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Arup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company, top engineering team, great projects, everyone is very friendly

Cons

Better pay,No parking, overall great firm to work for

3. "Graduate Bridge Engineer"

Current Employee - Graduate Bridge Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Graduate Bridge Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Arup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has a phenomenal business model, incorporating the idea of "total architecture" which facilitates multi discipline design for any given project. Everyone that works there is extremely friendly and helpful. Arup encourages career development on the individual level by providing resources to learn and grow as an engineer.

Cons

I cannot find any cons of working at Arup. Then again I've only been working for this company for two weeks, not including the 12 week internship I had this past summer. g to leave arup.

Advice to Management

Simply keep doing what you've been doing; this company is more than a pleasure to work for, I couldn't see myself ever wanting to leave Arup.

4. "Intern"

Former Intern - Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Arup as an intern

Pros

Good team. Great boss. Lots of creative and intelligent colleagues.

Cons

None. All my experiences at ARUP were great.

"Overall a good company"

Current Employee - BIM Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - BIM Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Arup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great worldwide projects to work. They care a lot about their employees. A good mix of young and old employees.

Cons

The schedules are not very flexible. It takes a lot of time to scale up in the company. The salary could be better.

"Positive experience in overall great place to work (in the AEC space)."

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Arup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility in schedule. Getting to work alongside very bright people. Innovation, within bounds, is encouraged (though keep in mind this is still the construction industry, so degree of "innovativeness" is relative). Self starters are generally well regarded. There are a large number of training and continuing education opportunities. Note that individual experiences can vary, and quite dramatically, depending on group/office/supervisors.

Cons

Promotions and compensation are reviewed on a strict annual schedule, and the factors behind the decision are not always discussed openly.

Advice to Management

Go back to focusing on the processes and designs that made Arup great in the past. It seems that too much attention is now given to chasing profits. Chase greatness and previous will follow.

"A very fulfilling place to work at"

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Arup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My favorite thing is the culture. Its pretty relaxed but at the same time, its very focused. People here love what they do and it shows. The benefits are great, their location in NYC is amazing and the projects you get to work on are some of the most exciting in the industry. The whole employee owned part is great. You feel like you have a higher stake in your work (and the whole profit sharing part helps too ;) ).

Cons

Promotions are pretty much based on duration of work (you get one approx. every 2/3 years) and their pay is low compared to others (at least for my field) to the point of being near uncompetetive.

Advice to Management

Higher pay. You have some of the most talented engineers in the industry working here. They are obviously willing to take a pay hit if it means working working somewhere fulfilling, but come on. Make their choice easier. You can afford to raise the salary a tiny bit to make it actually competitive.

8. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

Pros

Great company, good company culture

Cons

Underpaid employees and weak benefits

"Legal Intern"

Former Employee - Legal Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Legal Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Arup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Was given lots of hands-on experience in a lot of different areas related to the legal field for the engineering firm.

Cons

You have to really want to be interested in and do contract law if you pursue this position because that is how you'll be spending most of your time: reviewing contracts. Not necessarily a con if that's your interest.

Advice to Management

It would be good to give a quick crash-course on how to review contracts and what to look for in contracts so that the intern can delve right in and be effective and productive without too much of a learning curve.

"Excellent engineering firm"

Former Employee - Structural Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Structural Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Arup (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic office relationships, most interesting engineering projects in the world, flexible work environment, collaborative atmosphere, freedom to work in your own style

Cons

Sometimes the processes were disorganized, especially for an engineering firm. Lots of rushing to meet deadlines and very little oversight and QA which can lead to mistakes. Half the year I would work normal hours but when times got busy I did a lot of overtime, including the occasional 80-90 hour week. Only worth it because we were paid overtime and my coworkers were some of my best friends.

Advice to Management

Invest in the team to create more standard design tools and better drawing standards. Automate the repetive, and create a more rigorous QA system that gets used on every project and every deliverable.