Arup Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Arup Group Chairman Greg Hodkinson
Greg Hodkinson

Pros
  • Good work/life balance (if you tackle the subject well with your team) (in 40 reviews)

• Very interesting projects, and the company is very well respected in the industry which you get to reap the benefits of (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is difficult to maintain with the large workload (in 21 reviews)

• Culture of long hours, although depends on teams (in 26 reviews)

1. "Graduate Engineer"

Former Employee - Graduate Water Engineer in Cardiff, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - Graduate Water Engineer in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I worked at Arup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great working atmosphere.
    Creative and innovative approach to projects.
    Good focus on staff wellbeing.

Cons

Low salary. Mainly office based.

2. "DAZ"

I have been working at Arup part-time

Pros

Caring, experienced, the most technical in the country if not worldwide, offers better opportunity to new comers and graduates.

Cons

Slow to adopt changes. salary at a lower band.

Advice to Management

continue with Arup ethos.

3. "Working at Arup"

I have been working at Arup full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people and great work. A global and highly varied business with a reputation for excellence its a privilege to work there.

Cons

Work life balance can sometimes be a challenge

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

4. "toxic environment"

I worked at Arup full-time

Pros

It's a nice office and engineers are great to work with.

Cons

Poor training and toxic environment to learn and work. Office politics got in the way of me as a new hire to do my job.

5. "Great Environment to Learn"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Arup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They place a high value on innovation, creativity, and learning. Most of the projects they work on are very prestigious and interesting. They also allow remote work and international work after you have been with the company for an extended time. They allow you to build a diverse portfolio and try new areas within your field.

Cons

They are a large company, so they have developed antiquated business practices that do not apply to the modern industry. Their various teams are not all created equal, and it is easy to become lost with the vast number of employees. They do not offer competitive pay, and advancement is very slow. There are more lucrative opportunities available in the Bay Area.

Advice to Management

Take a step back to analyze the current business structure and format to meet the standards of modern society. Businesses today do not operate in the same way corporations behaved 50 years ago.

6. "Internship"

Pros

Amazing place to work. Alot of initiations, ingenuity and forward thinking. Experience is awesome lots of opportunities to learn and lots of training too. Team work and collaboration is paramount.

Cons

Pay is not as high as other competitors.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

7. "Mechanical Engineer"

I have been working at Arup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Involvement in various prestigious projects of different types. Friendly staff who challenge and are willing to help lower staff who have questions. Opportunity to explore different ventures which may benefit the company - such as web developing, programming, etc.

Cons

Projects tend to come from higher profile clients who have tight deadlines. Often times deadlines are not flexible - this leads to the typical office hours extending late into the night and occasionally on weekends. Company expects employees to also pursue additional training and development goals which will benefit the company. Large culture of social drinking within office.

Advice to Management

Apply less pressure on staff to work overtime and help employees create a better work life balance. Management should respect employee choice to reject overtime work.

8. "Frat boy culture; management are sharks"

Former Employee - Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Arup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great projects that look great on your resumes. Lots of company perks and great benefits.

Cons

Because you get a lot of company perks, great benefits, and get to work on high profile projects, the pay is less than average. Expect to work a lot of overtime in the ballpark of 60-80 hours a week. You also need to "drink the company kool-aid" in order to tolerate some of the insufferable people here.

Associates and principals have no social cues. Often crass and out of touch when trying to relate to junior engineers. My direct appraiser and management often talked crap about my peers in my presence. Completely unprofessional.

I was a female engineer at this office. I got talked down to a lot by many of my male peers. I would be in meetings and my work would be questioned a lot, but not the work of my male peers in the same meeting. We both did equal quality work and comparable types of projects. Being a woman in this office was hell.

This company hires some of the smartest people in the world, but they're also some of the most patronizing, negative, nihilistic frat boys who are out of touch with reality. Arup is like the Uber of the A/E/C industry. I'm just happy I got the experience and licensure that I needed while I was here to move onto better A/E/C firms.

Advice to Management

Learn to treat your employees better. Practice gender equity and diversity & inclusion instead of showboating that the company espouses these values in your fancy little marketing pamphlets and press releases.

9. "@home"

I have been working at Arup part-time

Pros

people and projects are amazing!

Cons

salary is normal or even a bit low considering the many working hours and responsibilities.

Advice to Management

increase salary

10. "Great exposure to projects and structured training"

Current Employee - Graduate Engineer in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Graduate Engineer in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Arup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company are always bidding for some of the largest projects currently in the world and have detailed training structures to get you integrated into the engineering consulting industry. Very helpful colleagues and great sense of teamwork.

Cons

Pay is not as competitive, and long working hours required.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, but should consider better financial benefits to retain staff.