Arup "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Arup Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 21, 2020

4.1
Arup Chairman Alan Belfield
Alan Belfield
Cons

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Amazing company full of opportunities"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Arup full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Interesting and prestigious projects Lots of internal opportunities (to move geographically, between teams and projects, to develop skills and to learn) Full of bright, dedicated and approachable individuals Equal employer (no bias against gender, nationality or sexual orientation, although white British men from Cambridge or Oxford are faring particularly well)

Cons

Unclear career progression (some people shine, while others get stuck at the same position for years) Some people spend extreme efforts on self-promotion taking credit for other people's work Slowly becoming an over-managed corporation (design and core values are secondary - only used for internal brainwashing) High level of internal politics Inefficient (everyone constantly reinvents the wheel) Huge differences between locations and teams (quality of work, work-life balance, management style)

Arup2018-05-10

"Looks good from outside"

I have been working at Arup

Pros

Good opportunity to be more political. Many bright coworkers. UK offices are the foundation of knowledge in Arup and they share their knowledge easily.

Cons

Being dishonest is a way to cover up deficiencies in management by leaders. UK offices transfer knowledge to the US offices and US offices are almost nothing compared with UK.British people have more chances to advance their career and you feel it from first day! Majority of US projects are very low key and average (if not below) projects. Be careful which office you will join as it may be a pathway to hell. Sick people are free to do anything and they face no consequences. Lots of complains on abuse, unprofessional behavior, and misconduct at work is being ignored in many offices all around US. Management and HR department can’t or don’t do anything. HR is super busy and does not have time for all responsibilities, even basic ones. Work life balance is a joke in many groups since they underbid many projects. Very long hours and sometimes no overtime. Pushing and abusing people to work long hours without recognition. Salary is low obviously. It does not a great job security. In many cases there is no career path.

Arup2019-08-24

"Project Administrator"

Former Employee - Project Administrator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Arup full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Best medical and dental coverage possible, extremely intelligent teams of engineers, and interesting international projects. Good work / life balance, most admin are non-exempt and require no overtime.

Cons

Specifically for people working admin, it's a super dead-end job with no hope of any sort of advancement ESPECIALLY if you are a woman. The salaries are really bottom of the barrel compared to the rest of the industry. Witnessed several men in generic admin positions get promoted to different fields from graphic design to cost estimating. Definitely a weird cult ambiance at times, with a keen worship of Ove Arup and his ideologies. A two-tier system is often in place, with admin / support staff not invited or allowed to many team-building events.

Arup2018-11-13

"Expect to work to exhaustion with low appreciation"

Current Employee - Project Administrator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Arup full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very good benefit package. Prestigious projects. Flexibility if needed (for families) They try to make it a casual atmosphere. Lots of social events.

Cons

Low Pay for the amount of work expected from support staff. Unfair pay rates in same positions. Very small raises. Unrealistic overtime is expected. Hard work is overlooked by management and supervisors. The company talks alot about equality for women and work life balance but it is just talk. Project managers dependent on the admin but you will not get the credit for doing their job or making them look good. HR is non responsive and complacent. Some Engineers and PMs can be verbally abusive but no one cares.

Arup2017-10-17

"Engineer"

Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Arup

Pros

Decent projects. Good interdisciplinary work

Cons

Impossible to maintain healthy work life balance

Arup2017-10-13

"Not Satisfying - Just a Job"

Current Employee - Graduate Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Arup full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Recognizable and prestigious company. It has a good reputation in the AEC world. - Projects can be high profile - Peers tend to be nice and fun to hang out with - Decent benefits - Work-Life Balance is decent - Overtime pay if you stay late (straight time though, not 1.5X. And only if approved)

Cons

- Personally, I've rarely feel a sense of satisfaction working here, and not because I don't try or work hard enough. I feel disconnected from the work and barely think about it when I'm not in the office (that could be a pro or con depending on how you look at it) - Little recognition or reward for the top performers in the company, which drives all the good people out. (I'm not referring to myself, I'm talking about the best people I work with). - Pay is not good for the field. Their pay structure means people of the same grade across different locations make the same amount of money. Not good if you work in NYC. - Arup tries to convince you what you're doing is changing the world. Translation: "We don't have to pay you as much because we are giving you this great opportunity for global impact". Most companies tend to pay you more if you're actually on challenging projects that make a difference, just saying. - Raises/promotions are only given one time a year - if you don't make it, better luck next year and surviving on your current pay. - Disconnected management - My direct supervisor barely talks to me or cares about what I want in terms of career goals. - The culture of the company can make it feel like a cult - some refer to themselves as "Arupians", and not in a sarcastic way. - Not much direction is given. I feel like I just get tasked with little to no motivation behind it. - The company is known for Structural/Civil projects and the people in those disciplines definitely like it better than the rest. The MEP disciplines tend to feel like the step-children of the company.

Arup2017-07-26

"Transaction Advice"

Current Employee - Transaction Advice in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Arup full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work life balance is good in comparison to other competitors. Paid overtime which allows to compensate for low salary. Bonuses are not decent. Nor are salary increases.

Cons

Lower than competitors pay even in expensive cities. Hard to get promotions. Lower levels not valued. Repetitive work. Disconnection with upper management.

Arup2017-05-01
  8. "Great Minds and Potential"

I have been working at Arup full-time

Pros

Benefits are great and the projects are very interesting. The culture really cultivates a community effort for greatness.

Cons

Since there are many great minds here egos sometimes get in the way. Long hours are expected and not as often compensated, which causes some work/life balance issues.

Arup2017-04-25

"Graduate Plumbing Engineer"

Former Employee - Graduate Pluming Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Arup full-time for more than a year

Pros

The working environment is vibrant and exciting. There is a wide variety of projects to work on that will allow you to hone existing skills and develop new ones.

Cons

The work life balance is difficult to maintain with the large workload. There is not a formal training process. You will be thrown into uncomfortable situations that will be challenging and rewarding.

Arup2017-02-24

"Wonderful working environment"

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Arup full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Wonderful culture and working environment - open thinking, freedom to express, continual education. Benefits compared to other engineering firm are top notch.

Cons

Work load, work/life balance, and salary are deficient.

Arup2016-04-05

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 109 reviews