Asbury Automotive Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Asbury Automotive President and CEO Craig T. Monaghan
Craig T. Monaghan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • CEO, COO are unbelievably Great people (in 8 reviews)

• Amazing department director, good benefits, good work life balance, never required to work weekends, give ample training for position (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Otherwise you are expected to work long hours for less than industry standard pay (in 20 reviews)

• terrible work life balance, no employee appreciation (in 7 reviews)

"CDZ Rep: Please Fix It"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Duluth, GA

I worked at Asbury Automotive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was cool to get a job with a brand new dept within a company that promotes from within.
    6 week training with lunch.
    The people that I work with and who no longer work here have truly been great.

Cons

Our managers are dealership people who treat a call center like a dealership.
    If you mention an issue they call it an excuse.
    If you tell them the way they speak is problematic, they tell you they're a cupcake compared to dealership managers which makes no sense because THIS ISNT A DEALERSHIP.
    We went through extensive training then learned it was all for naught. The actual job is very different.
    The only constant is that nothing is consistent.
    The managers have attempted to be nicer (it's fake) but morale is already low because they take and take and don't give enough. There's no benefit of the doubt and not very many solutions to our issues or theirs.
    Your schedule changes. Your job duties change.
    You're told you have to be flexible lol.
    The trainer got half of the staff fired because he was an egotistical jerk and they let him run wild for months. He's gone so it's understaffed for nothing.
    They want your life to revolve around the job but it's not an enjoyable enough job.
    They do not respect your life outside of it. They don't respect that things happen and they make that clear.

Advice to Management

Hire some PEOPLE people. You need sales managers fine. That's great but you also need balance. You need administrative backed and HR savvy personnel. The job is stressful and it's mostly because of who was hired as management and their attitudes. BOTH of them.

2. "Not for most, Good for some"

I worked at Asbury Automotive full-time

Pros

If you desire long hours, minimal pay, like staring at you smart phone endlessly and a farmer tan. Auto sales are for you. Pay in advance is $10/hr. Average work week 50 hrs. The average sales person sells 10 cars a month, @ $200 a car. You do the math. Not impossible to sell more cars than that, which can dramatically increase your pay. But if the dealership is selling an average of 200 cars and there are 20 salesmen, once again do the math. These are not sour grapes, I know a few people who have made a good living selling cars. That opportunity is there.

Cons

I bought 2 vehicles from Coggin (an Asbury dealership) Once from a family member a good experience, the second from a salesman who was pleasant, the rest of the experience was miserable. Those are the same factors that make it a less than desirable place to work. It not customer focused as it is explained in some of their sale training videos. I receive better service at Walmart and Walmart service sucks. In fairness I interviewed at 3 other dealerships and got the same vibe. I can only assume that everyone in the dealership is wondering where their next meal is coming from, so they have no time for the customers who provide those meals.

Advice to Management

One of the national sales trainers told me "they hire 10 sales associates and 12 quit" That would be alarming to me as an employer. I imagine it is poor management and mediocre pay. As well Americans love to buy stuff. The only thing they like more is, buying stuff on credit. Why is the car buying experience miserable. People are afraid to get out of theirs cars they dread it so much. Everybody knows it's, I can only expect once they figure out how to sell cars on Amazon will the experience will get better.

3. "Business Mana"

Former Employee - Business Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Business Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Asbury Automotive full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation plan was above average for the city

Cons

Good old boy network

Advice to Management

Positions and promotions should be based on your achievements and commitment to the company not to a friend you socialize with after hours.

4. "They keep losing great people to poor management."

Pros

Wonderful group of guys to work with, fun environment when the man upstairs is happy.

Cons

Horrible work/life balance, although, to be fair they're upfront about it. Biggest issue is that it's a boys club. None of the women working (in any department) were respected. Rules constantly changed.

5. "Great company"

I worked at Asbury Automotive full-time

Pros

Long hours good pay with not time off

Cons

Micro manage managers and high cost for insurance most can't afford it.

Advice to Management

Go back to what Asbury use to be instead of trying to following the leader.

"Asbury Review (Coggin)"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Asbury Automotive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Advancement Opportunities
    Flexible Scheduling
    Laid Back Environment

Cons

Excessive Hours
    Preferential Treatment
    Bad Work/Life Balancing
    Micromagement

Advice to Management

Reward Hard Workers, Not Your Buddies.

7. "Low Pay for Service Advisors"

Former Employee - Service Adio in Saint Augustine, FL
    Former Employee - Service Adio in Saint Augustine, FL

I worked at Asbury Automotive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great customers and co workers.

Cons

Low pay plan for Advisors. The more you do, the more they change the pay plan to take more from you.

Advice to Management

come up with a better pay plan that doesn't rob us blind.

8. "Management Turnover Is Constant"

Pros

It's a big corporation; you know your check will be deposited in your account on payday.

Cons

Constant turnover in management, therefore no consistency in policy. Compliance with corporate security regulations are a joke as well. Copies of customers drivers license and credit applications are put in the trash and not shredded, and other sensitive information is handled carelessly. Once the customer has purchased the car and warranty, no one in sales or finance will talk to the customer. Finance managers and sales managers avoid their calls, and leave it to the frontline to put them off. Promotions are often given to those who are the least effective. This is the Asburycorporate game.

Advice to Management

Clean house

9. ""Corporate" is not all it's made to be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA

I worked at Asbury Automotive (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a definite 8:30-5 job. Benefits are good.It's fun to work with cars!

Cons

Company is completely salesperson driven, the person (customer or employee) doesn't matter if you're going to stand in the way of a sale. Met some guys who, though wearing nice business suits, had the speil of the typical used car salesman.

Those working in the stores, being given promises of moving to Corporate--trust me, it's not worth it.

Advice to Management

Take note that people want to connect with brands. Recognize talent and develop it.

Asbury Automotive Response

Sep 14, 2016 – Human Resource Team

Thank you for taking the time to review and give us your feedback. We will take your advice in addressing these areas in need of improvement, such as bridging the connection with brands. Again, we... More

10. "Long hours and low pay"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Asbury Automotive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun co-workers. Lots of laughter. Catered food on Saturdays. Test driving great vehicles.

Cons

Extremely long hours. Management changing too often. Low pay plan for the hours you work. No work-life balance. No free weekends and barely any holidays off. Think long and hard before you go to work in the car biz.

Advice to Management

Promote from within instead of hiring from the outside.

Asbury Automotive Response

Sep 14, 2016 – Human Resource Team

Thank you for taking the time to review and give us your feedback. We appreciate your advice in utilizing the employees we have and promoting from within. We welcome ideas from the team to better the... More