Ascend Public Charter Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Teacher"

I have been working at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time

Pros

Great curriculum and excellent team.

Cons

Wirk life balance. Hours 7:20 to 4:20

2. "Progressive but Demanding"

I worked at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time

Pros

Ascend is particularly a great fit for those who are emerging teachers because they provide an extensive amount of instructional support. New hires are required to attend a summer on boarding orientation program; the training for new hires before they're teaching in a classroom spans for approximately a month. Training touches upon a vast array of topics: behavior management, responsive classroom, interactive modeling, assessment tools, literacy curriculum, etc. New hires attend specific training sessions catered to their position in the network.

Ascend has a great team of leaders and teachers who inspire you to push yourself. Employees are driven, intelligent, and full of personality. Working alongside great coworkers within an organized network spurs great pride in the network you're a part of.

Cons

The new hire training before the start of the school year burns you out easily. Since I went through a traditional teacher preparation program and had extensive student teaching placements under my belt, a lot of the summer training sessions felt very repetitive and a waste of valuable time. Perhaps the network should allow you to sign up for specific sessions you personally feel you will benefit from.

Although I like how the network is organized in the work that they carry out, it started to feel very hierarchal and corporation-like as I started working in the school. They tend to micro-manage a lot and are on top of you for every little detail. This makes you feel like they don't trust you to carry out your responsibilities in the classroom. Children are children and some may express needs to move around while on the carpet. My Dean of Instruction (DOI) once entered my classroom "correcting" behavior, demanding that everyone should be silent and sitting criss-crossed still. My DOI also assigned me separate coaching homework from a textbook I've already read through multiple times in college, which was irritating because I already had so much on my plate to get done as a classroom teacher. The deans are seasoned educators who have extensive instructional experience; however, I noticed that even my deans started to get jaded from the workload that got placed on them. Work-life balance is a struggle.

Advice to Management

Refine your summer training program to be more purposeful for various employees. Perhaps you can start differentiating your training sessions by allowing new hires to choose and sign up for sessions they will benefit from whilst still having a set of required sessions they need to attend. It will reduce a lot of frustration and bitterness on behalf of teachers.

3. "Progressive"

I have been working at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time

Pros

Strong leadership and responsive approach to student discipline

Cons

Salary should be more competitive

Advice to Management

n/a

"Burned out Employee/Leader"

I have been working at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Rigorous curriculum, high expectations for all students, beautiful buildings and facilities (not co-located) that are well-maintained, access to resources (technology, instructional materials)

Cons

- No work-life balance! As a member of the leadership team I've been asked to take on additional tasks and had deliverables due over the weekend. There's absolutely no regard for my personal life. I'm a young leader without children and feel taken advantage of. When teachers are fired, leave or are reassigned the leaders in the building are asked to take on the additional responsibilities. Regardless of how passionate you are to the field, this work environment will inevitable lead to burn-out.

- Many of the principals in this network don't even have much teaching experience (Andujar , Washington, Flowers). They enter into classrooms and evaluate their teacher's practice based upon what? You're asking them to coach and supervise teachers? Teachers and staff don't respect these leaders.

- The CEO and other chief officers are driven by test scores and results. They don't respect educators new to the field and have little patience for teachers who are still learning their craft. Low scores? Poor classroom management? If you're asked back, more than likely you'll be moved to a lower non-testing grade. The way these teachers are spoken about behind closed doors is horrible.

- This network is bleeding talent! The number of talented principals, deans, curriculum design team members that have left over the past few years is so disappointing.

- Teachers and leaders are micromanaged, unless your scores/school's scores are high - then you're left alone. This creates unfair expectations for staff. For years I've worked alongside staff members at other schools that have not been held to the same expectations as me.

Advice to Management

- Value the talented staff members that you have.
    - Invest in new teachers and appreciate them!
    - Consider the person behind the role, you dehumanize this work by over-exhausting your leaders and teachers.
    - Hire talented leaders/officers that can coach teachers/leaders and skill them up.
    - The network level/officer team needs to be changed and "shaken up." How about officers of color?!
    - Stop opening schools! You can't even manage the middle/high schools! They're failing. Invest in the buildings and schools that you have now.

5. "Teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher in Brownsville, NY
    Former Employee - Teacher in Brownsville, NY

I worked at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Warm, supportive leadership. Great balance of support and autonomy.

Cons

Pay is not quite as high as other charter schools in the area, but it is worth the more warm environment.

6. "Art Teacher"

Former Employee - Art Teacher in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Art Teacher in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High salary and time off.

Cons

No work/life balance. Very unforgiving to teachers who do not work within the ascend model. Long days with few prep periods.

Advice to Management

Offer better support to teachers. Smaller class sizes.

7. "Intern"

Pros

Very supportive and warm working environment. Everyone there is working towards the greater good of providing an education for the undeserved children in Brooklyn

Cons

Work wasn't as challenging as I would have liked it to be.

8. "Ascend"

I have been working at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time

Pros

Ascend is very mission aligned

Cons

Not much flexibility in work-life balance.

Advice to Management

More flexibility in work-life balance.

9. "Former Employee"

I worked at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun and supportive network environment
    Small and close learning community

Cons

Don't support lateral moves

Advice to Management

Revise policy to support lateral moves-at least on a case by case basis

10. "Ascend Teacher"

I have been working at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time

Pros

responsive classroom management system, student voice is valued, interim assessments, teacher autonomy, data analysis systems, love of kids

Cons

dis-alignment within assessments and curriculum, lack of management support for some teachers, poor leadership team members who lack content knowledge, nepotism within leadership roles and teacher praise, unprofessional teachers who are praised

Advice to Management

start recognizing teachers who are strong and work on retention rates. Stop over-valuing staff members who are able to put on a "show" for observations but then act extremely unprofessional with students outside of observations. Take initiative to recognize what is actually happening in classrooms.