Ascend Public Charter Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The responsive classroom approach results in our students being better advocates for themselves" (in 5 reviews)

• "Ascend has a great team of leaders and teachers who inspire you to push yourself" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-life balance is hard to achieve" (in 7 reviews)

• "Long hours for little pay; manual processes" (in 9 reviews)

"Great Place to work despite challenges"

Current Employee - Leadership in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Leadership in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

completely aligned to the mission
    warm supportive environment
    HR TEAM IS FABULOUS! They are attentive, impressively responsive and extremely knowledgeable. A pleasure to work with.
    Network Ops team is good
    IT team is GREAT

Cons

Work-life balance is hard to achieve. The schools and network office operate on a lean mean budget. HR is a fabulous team but only has only two people supporting 10 schools and over 700 plus staff.
    Salaries are not as competitive as other well-funded charter schools
    Lack of staff appreciation

Advice to Management

focus on achieving work-life balance for staff
    offer rewards for high performers
    Offer more internal opportunities for mobility

2. "Teacher"

I have been working at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time

Pros

Great staff and supportive co workers

Cons

Horrible hours and poor organization among leadership

3. "Lack of sustainability for staff"

Former Employee - Educator in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Educator in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I made some life-long friends

Cons

-Underpay
    -Lack of respect for staff
    -No value of personal time for staff
    -Think it's appropriately to burn you out as an employee to prove yourself to them

Advice to Management

Where is the work-life balance? How can it even be possible at Ascend?

4. "ASCEND NETWORK IS RAN SIMILAR TO THE TRUMP ADMINISTRATION!"

Former Employee - Managing Director in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Managing Director in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

COMPETITIVE SALARY; ADEQUATE PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT

Cons

LONG HOURS UNNECESSARILY; FAKE RELATIONSHIPS

Advice to Management

A Great School = Great Staff + Great Managers/Directors + Students

When management genuinely begins to align and connect to the school's mission,
     passionate translates into their work and the reason to serve students and care for colleagues grows. FAKE relationships would not be required to hide incompetence, selfish decisions will cease, and genuine relationships will develop naturally with purpose. Decisions will then be sound, and integrity will not be compromised. It's time for Ascend to wake up. They are too far behind because of ignorance. (Learn from the Trump Administration).

5. "Middle School Science Teacher"

I worked at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time

Pros

Good professional development and opportunities for various career paths

Cons

Schools are not culturally aligned or collaborative throughout network

6. "Director of Operations"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

Competitive Salary compared to DOE.

Cons

Extended work day (9 hours)

"Warm, supportive environment"

Current Employee - Teacher in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Teacher in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Ascend treats its employees better than a lot of other charters (some teachers leave Success Academy and come here).
    -Responsive Classroom model is excellent and the school invests in a lot of training for it.
    -There is a strong sense of support from our Culture Associates, especially when it comes to handling misbehavior. They are genuinely concerned about the students and consistently follow up on them.
    -My deans are as supportive as they can be with their busy schedules, and their coaching has helped me become a better teacher.
    -They have recently decided to give us one half day nearly each month so we can go to doctor's appointments, etc.
    -They buy us dinner whenever we have to stay late for a school event.

Cons

-Long hours (7:20-4:20), though you will need to work beyond those to stay on top of everything. I feel like the people that thrive here are the ones who consider teaching to be a calling and/or the ones who are able to work efficiently during their preps to minimize take-home work.
    -Some of your preps will be taken up by PD and coaching meetings. These are helpful and I do not think they should be eliminated; however, it would be helpful if occasionally we could get coverage for breakfast or recess/lunch duty to get everything done on those days.
    -Observations from outside consultants are pretty consistent and meant to be helpful, but when 7-10 people walk in a room, it can be difficult to teach naturally.
    -Sometimes the assessments designed by the curriculum team do not align with the teaching points.

Advice to Management

-Having occasional recess/lunch coverage would be much appreciated.
    -Trimming down the number of people coming in for larger observations would help to minimize anxiety (both on part of the teachers and the students) and help to show a more accurate indication of teaching/learning.

8. "Operations Assistant"

I worked at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time

Pros

Great staff, competitive salary, the students are awesome, great benefits.

Cons

Very long hours, unpaid OT.

Advice to Management

Find a way to keep your employees fresh, the constant long days are draining.

9. "Teacher"

I have been working at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time

Pros

Great curriculum and excellent team.

Cons

Wirk life balance. Hours 7:20 to 4:20

"Progressive but Demanding"

I worked at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time

Pros

Ascend is particularly a great fit for those who are emerging teachers because they provide an extensive amount of instructional support. New hires are required to attend a summer on boarding orientation program; the training for new hires before they're teaching in a classroom spans for approximately a month. Training touches upon a vast array of topics: behavior management, responsive classroom, interactive modeling, assessment tools, literacy curriculum, etc. New hires attend specific training sessions catered to their position in the network.

Ascend has a great team of leaders and teachers who inspire you to push yourself. Employees are driven, intelligent, and full of personality. Working alongside great coworkers within an organized network spurs great pride in the network you're a part of.

Cons

The new hire training before the start of the school year burns you out easily. Since I went through a traditional teacher preparation program and had extensive student teaching placements under my belt, a lot of the summer training sessions felt very repetitive and a waste of valuable time. Perhaps the network should allow you to sign up for specific sessions you personally feel you will benefit from.

Although I like how the network is organized in the work that they carry out, it started to feel very hierarchal and corporation-like as I started working in the school. They tend to micro-manage a lot and are on top of you for every little detail. This makes you feel like they don't trust you to carry out your responsibilities in the classroom. Children are children and some may express needs to move around while on the carpet. My Dean of Instruction (DOI) once entered my classroom "correcting" behavior, demanding that everyone should be silent and sitting criss-crossed still. My DOI also assigned me separate coaching homework from a textbook I've already read through multiple times in college, which was irritating because I already had so much on my plate to get done as a classroom teacher. The deans are seasoned educators who have extensive instructional experience; however, I noticed that even my deans started to get jaded from the workload that got placed on them. Work-life balance is a struggle.

Advice to Management

Refine your summer training program to be more purposeful for various employees. Perhaps you can start differentiating your training sessions by allowing new hires to choose and sign up for sessions they will benefit from whilst still having a set of required sessions they need to attend. It will reduce a lot of frustration and bitterness on behalf of teachers.