Ascend Public Charter Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The responsive classroom approach results in our students being better advocates for themselves" (in 5 reviews)

• "Ascend has a great team of leaders and teachers who inspire you to push yourself" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-life balance is hard to achieve" (in 7 reviews)

• "Long hours for little pay; manual processes" (in 9 reviews)

"Great Place to work despite challenges"

Current Employee - Leadership in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Leadership in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

completely aligned to the mission
    warm supportive environment
    HR TEAM IS FABULOUS! They are attentive, impressively responsive and extremely knowledgeable. A pleasure to work with.
    Network Ops team is good
    IT team is GREAT

Cons

Work-life balance is hard to achieve. The schools and network office operate on a lean mean budget. HR is a fabulous team but only has only two people supporting 10 schools and over 700 plus staff.
    Salaries are not as competitive as other well-funded charter schools
    Lack of staff appreciation

Advice to Management

focus on achieving work-life balance for staff
    offer rewards for high performers
    Offer more internal opportunities for mobility

2. "Director of Operations"

Current Employee - Director of Operations in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Director of Operations in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity for growth and promotion

Cons

Lack of funding and resources prevents true innovation.

"Brownsville Ascend (BVLS, BVMS) & BAHS. Individuals must be strong or will be broken"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time

Pros

- School directors, deans, teachers and students are wonderful.

-Allows individuals to grow

-Much to learn

BVLS and BVMS directors are amazing

-The facilities members (custodians) are awesome! They will take care of all the needs for the campus! They respond to emails on a timely basis, move furniture, provide emotional support to teachers and students (if needed), handle the tons event setups that may consist of the use of 25-300+ chairs, a few tables with tablecloth, at times a stage, cleaning of the space being used (at times the events are only 20 minutes long or canceled and they would have to break down the set up immediately and jump to another setup), even assisting in other departments . They are always busy and are the reason why thing in the building would run so smoothly (The building has seven floors with a roof that is used and not to mention over 1000 people on campus daily) .

Security is fearless, they risk there lives on a day-to- day ensuring that everyone in the building is safe. Angry parents, angry students, issues that take place outside of building; they do an exceptional job, with only two members and that not even the extent of all the hard work they put fourth!

Our kitchen staff ensure that our students eat daily providing a wonderful breakfast, lunch and snack. They are very organized and committed to making sure 1000+ students eat and employees too. It my sound easy but working in a kitchen can be really stressful and there is much more to this job.

Cons

- Lack of job security, you can be one of the hardest workers but management will work you till your arms fall off and fire you the same day.

-Lack of appreciation

-Poor compensation for hourly employees

-More focused on school looking like an museum, poking cameras in kids faces

- People who truly care of students don't last long

-Must meet expectations

-You will be told that your job is not on the line but its all a lie so you can put every ounce of strength and time you have into the needs of the building. After which they will trow you away.

-Organization is full of secrets

-Low compensation for security, facilities and kitchen staff

-Members of network are very arrogant and full of themselves

-The job is based on emails, if your a outstanding worker management will give you a hard time for not responding, but forget that you barely have time working there.

Advice to Management

Dear Steven Wilson and Ascend network,

I know you all don't care but Im asking that you pay more attention to you hourly employees and the hard work that they do. Ive seen you walk pass a tired and sweaty facilities members countlessly without saying a word ( not everyone) but many of you are quick to notice a piece of paper on the floor, chipped paint, a foggy window, messy restroom, etc and are quick to send and email about how poorly the building looks. Have any of thought to have a meeting with the facilities team? To better understand the dynamics of their job? See if what your paying them is worth it, see if how you treat them is worth it. I'm hurt about what was June 22, 2018; that week alone teams were working so hard dealing with three different graduations, proms, information sessions and much more events ensuring that all will be in place, if not missing lunch or shortening their lunch so their jobs won't be on the line (which it was).

“For those who misused others for their business gains: you can never pluck the real essence of a beautiful heart and a beautiful mind.

You may all have the clinging sound of "business impressions to suppress" but you cannot grab the essence of an honest spirit who only wants to be free from insincere, ungrateful users of other people's time and generosity." ~ Angelica Hopes

"Teacher"

I have been working at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time

Pros

Great staff and supportive co workers

Cons

Horrible hours and poor organization among leadership

"Lack of sustainability for staff"

Former Employee - Educator in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Educator in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I made some life-long friends

Cons

-Underpay
    -Lack of respect for staff
    -No value of personal time for staff
    -Think it's appropriately to burn you out as an employee to prove yourself to them

Advice to Management

Where is the work-life balance? How can it even be possible at Ascend?

"ASCEND NETWORK IS RAN SIMILAR TO THE TRUMP ADMINISTRATION!"

Former Employee - Managing Director in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Managing Director in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

COMPETITIVE SALARY; ADEQUATE PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT

Cons

LONG HOURS UNNECESSARILY; FAKE RELATIONSHIPS

Advice to Management

A Great School = Great Staff + Great Managers/Directors + Students

When management genuinely begins to align and connect to the school's mission,
     passionate translates into their work and the reason to serve students and care for colleagues grows. FAKE relationships would not be required to hide incompetence, selfish decisions will cease, and genuine relationships will develop naturally with purpose. Decisions will then be sound, and integrity will not be compromised. It's time for Ascend to wake up. They are too far behind because of ignorance. (Learn from the Trump Administration).

7. "Middle School Science Teacher"

I worked at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time

Pros

Good professional development and opportunities for various career paths

Cons

Schools are not culturally aligned or collaborative throughout network

"Warm, supportive environment"

Current Employee - Teacher in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Teacher in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Ascend treats its employees better than a lot of other charters (some teachers leave Success Academy and come here).
    -Responsive Classroom model is excellent and the school invests in a lot of training for it.
    -There is a strong sense of support from our Culture Associates, especially when it comes to handling misbehavior. They are genuinely concerned about the students and consistently follow up on them.
    -My deans are as supportive as they can be with their busy schedules, and their coaching has helped me become a better teacher.
    -They have recently decided to give us one half day nearly each month so we can go to doctor's appointments, etc.
    -They buy us dinner whenever we have to stay late for a school event.

Cons

-Long hours (7:20-4:20), though you will need to work beyond those to stay on top of everything. I feel like the people that thrive here are the ones who consider teaching to be a calling and/or the ones who are able to work efficiently during their preps to minimize take-home work.
    -Some of your preps will be taken up by PD and coaching meetings. These are helpful and I do not think they should be eliminated; however, it would be helpful if occasionally we could get coverage for breakfast or recess/lunch duty to get everything done on those days.
    -Observations from outside consultants are pretty consistent and meant to be helpful, but when 7-10 people walk in a room, it can be difficult to teach naturally.
    -Sometimes the assessments designed by the curriculum team do not align with the teaching points.

Advice to Management

-Having occasional recess/lunch coverage would be much appreciated.
    -Trimming down the number of people coming in for larger observations would help to minimize anxiety (both on part of the teachers and the students) and help to show a more accurate indication of teaching/learning.

9. "Operations Assistant"

I worked at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time

Pros

Great staff, competitive salary, the students are awesome, great benefits.

Cons

Very long hours, unpaid OT.

Advice to Management

Find a way to keep your employees fresh, the constant long days are draining.

10. "Teacher"

I have been working at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time

Pros

Great curriculum and excellent team.

Cons

Wirk life balance. Hours 7:20 to 4:20