Ascension Ministry Service Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Ascension Ministry Service Center Reviews

Updated June 7, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Flexibility to work from home when needed is also nice (in 13 reviews)

• As everyone has mentioned, I am a big fan of the free soda and WiFi (in 8 reviews)

1. "Leave Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Ascension Ministry Service Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Coffee/soda, Mission hours and Mission Director-Glenn, work from home . The ability to openly pray and worship with others .

Cons

Ridiculous case loads and they tout the ability to work from home-yet still no work/life balance when you are working 50+ hours a week. Management is embarrassing -lack of leadership, know nothing about the jobs of the Case managers and have no desire to try to understand but micro manage. Pay system overpaid, underpaid or didn't pay tons of Associates due to a system they rolled out without properly testing and then blame the Case managers who weren't properly trained to begin with. System still overpays or doesn't pay but can't get answers as to why. System has severe limitations but still have unrealistic expectations of the CM to meet them or be basically told you are worthless. Favoritism abounds , managers gossip and talk about their employees and allow their teams to talk about each other in meetings. Managers have made inappropriate comments in team meetings about employees and question their faith. Out of control and out of line

Advice to Management

Streamline processes, treat the employees with respect ( maybe attempt to say hello to them sometimes) and get real leadership. Stop the favoritism and fix the horrible processes

2. "Poor place to work"

Former Employee - Talent Acquisition in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Talent Acquisition in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Ascension Ministry Service Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mobility with a laptop, two monitors and a docking station, free pop/coffee and good food trucks. Pastor (Glenn) who is amazing.

Cons

Leadership, Supervisors, Seniors. Lack of communication and team players. Misses the mark of what they stand for. Worst experience in my professional career.

Advice to Management

Listen and learn from your employees.

"I like it, but I see why my co-workers do not"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ascension Ministry Service Center (More than a year)

Pros

Mobility, free coffee and soda, great people. It has a great mission statement. The mission director is amazing and really inspires us.

Cons

They prefer college degrees but hire people with HS diplomas, which makes for a big gap in education. They then wonder why theses departments are failing. HS diplomas are great, but you should provide education on how to do your job if you have no experience. The upper management provides quarterly meetings with the whole company where they basically congratulate each other on how great they are without acknowledging the people below them. Sure, they read a few good reviews, but that seems to be the only time they concern themselves with the "lower" workers. Otherwise, we would not have failing departments.

Advice to Management

I always thought I worked for a great place, but when I listen to what my co-workers in other departments have to deal with, I would NEVER recommend my friends or family to work for this part of Ascension. You cheat your employees out of a fair wage, treat them poorly, and then act surprised when the turnover rate is above average.

4. "Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ascension Ministry Service Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

COO that has been running the place into the ground for 5 years was recently let go. Free pop and coffee.

Cons

COO that was let go created a culture of a place where not many people wanted to work. He did not value employees for the hard work they did on a daily basis. That culture runs deep and it will take time to change and create a place where people want to work. Most of HR is being outsourced away from the MSC due to the fact that leadership has not had their attention on the correct metrics.

Advice to Management

Identify and retain the employees that work hard and want to make the place a great place to work.

"Run!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ascension Ministry Service Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mobility, The Mission Leader is wonderful and I sure it makes him cringe to see what has been going on.

Cons

They took one one of the best run departments and outsourced it to an RPO that is over whelmed. No communication even to the change over date. Told by COE that the reason they were out sourcing was because they could not keep up with the ministry demands with the current technology. Odd how the same exact technology is going to be used but the RPO. Shame on you---in the 3 years I have been there the middle management and upper management has been like a train wreck. Pretty sure the entire organization will be gone soon.

Advice to Management

Good job getting rid of Joe Peri---still need to clean house.

"Worst Place To Work 2015 AND 2016"

Former Employee - Analyst in North Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Analyst in North Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Good Benefits, Open Work Environment, Nice Building, Work From Home Options, and Free Drinks. You'll meet some great people and the company is very diverse.

Cons

Ascension is a joke, from HR all the way down. Leave is one of the worst departments at the service center. Someone came up with a bright idea of having their managers (who can't even manage themselves), go into other departments and manage. Let's just say those departments have failed miserably. The turn over rate in the time I was there was 15 people in less than a year who've escaped the madness. One Supervisor is sleeping with one of his employees and continues to flirt with her in front on everyone while the Manager of the department continues to act like he doesn't see it and blames others about starting rumors about something that is clear as day. None of the managers or supervisors have any experience over the department they're over. For example at least 3 managers on the benefits team have never has ANY experience in benefits anything. They have no leadership or communication skills or training. They belittle their employees and will forever micro manage. I see this company not making it pass the next 5 years, especially when you have hospitals who are separating themselves from the organization's leadership, the company is running out of money and outsourcing services in there OWN service center, and employees continue to leave. Bless any and everyone who works in the service center because they definitely need it.

Advice to Management

Honestly there is no advice to give. Management will continue to drive this company down the drain.

"Somewhere Else Will Pay You More for the Same Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Ascension Ministry Service Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Advancement opportunities are good. The company promote volunteer work and provides ample opportunities to participate in it. I enjoyed my teammates.

Cons

Depends on your supervisor. Some expect you to work well over 40 hours a week, week after week, plus weekends. The pay is low.

Advice to Management

Don't burn your employees out, especially when they can go elsewhere and do the exact same thing for more pay.

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

My co-workers were hard working individuals.

Cons

They're downsizing. People are there one day and gone the next. If you sign the separation agreement you can't discuss the terms of your agreement. The agreement offered less than what I was owed in FLTO which they still haven't paid. They don't value honest, constructive communication, and talented people consistently leave because only "yes men" are safe. You must always watch your back given the political climate. The lower management staff are blamed for the performance failures of upper management. The organization culture is very unhealthy. It's pure corporate America.

Advice to Management

It doesn't matter what advice is given.

"Deceptive"

Former Employee - Senior Benefits Analyst in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Benefits Analyst in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Ascension Ministry Service Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Initial goal of company was faith based and focused on service. Praise to the small percentage of associates who strive to maintain that original goal

Cons

Original goals turned into Productivity Over Service, Who Can Supervisors Stomp On Today. The direction this company has taken is polar opposite of what they espouse. So sad.

Advice to Management

Learn the tasks of your staff, support them instead of promoting yourself, practice true service over having the highest number of resolved cases per day

"Not Looking Good"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ascension Ministry Service Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mobility, free drinks, community service hours

Cons

They just outsourced the Talent Acquisition team. That's about 70 employees. This is not the most troubled department in the building. I can only imagine that there will be more outsourcing in the future which is unfortunate since one of the things they prided themselves on in the interview was that it is a growing company.

Advice to Management

Be honest about the current situation of the organization. Don't hire people knowing the department is about to be outsourced. And do better so that this doesn't continue to happen. You have a lot of people that depend on these jobs.