Ascension Reviews

Updated May 11, 2021

3.5
Ascension President / CEO Joseph R Impicciche
Joseph R Impicciche
Pros
  • "Experienced staff, good benefits, tuition reimbursement(in 110 reviews)

• "Great benefits, PTO and discounts at cafeteria(in 95 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The upper management is out of touch with the reality of healthcare, it is very business-oriented(in 76 reviews)

• "Short staffed all over the hospital(in 68 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Ascension and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

Great Opportunity

Apr 30, 2021 - Nurse Intern in Miramar Beach, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

The hospital and staff are amazing and provide tons of opportunities for new grads and career RNs

Cons

None that I can think of

Reputation Management Specialist

Thank you for your review. We are a team of more than 50,000 nurses strong. When you join Ascension, you become one of our caregivers committed to not only caring for the community and each other, you join a ministry dedicated to amplifying your voice. We appreciate all that you do. Thank you for your service and commitment.

2. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Important Team - Great for those who like to help!

May 11, 2021 - Customer Care Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Small team and it allows for autonomy

Cons

Too Much Diversity in job functions in roles but can also be a pro

Reputation Management Specialist

Thank you for your review. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your coworkers. At Ascension, we cultivate an environment that nurtures relationships. We wish you the best in your next endeavors and hope you will consider Ascension again in the future.

3. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Saint Thomas needs HELP!!

May 9, 2021 - Nursing Leader in Nashville, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Love the opportunity to volunteer at the medical missions. Good residency program with University of Tennessee training next generation of clinicians.

Cons

Weak corporate nursing leadership. Great employees loosing their jobs and drastic changes being implemented over an executive’s little feelings. HR is ineffective, allowing greedy executive to eliminate associates’ jobs for personal reasons. Also, unfairly eliminating positions to favor friends. All the while, Ascension’s PR is out talking about Catholic values and inclusion. Talking of camouflaged greed, the Saint Thomas Health’s CNO is also the System’s COO. Often making irrational decisions and since HR is incompetent, the check-balance is compromised.

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Horrible Leadership and Teamwork

Apr 26, 2021 - RN-ED in Pensacola, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good doctors You can always get hours Majority of coworkers are supportive

Cons

No lunch breaks Weak leadership and teamwork Unsafe environment Stressful work environment Management cares more about numbers than they do about their associates. Mission and values are not enforced or encouraged by leadership, nor is teamwork encouraged. There are clicks and gossiping which breaks down the teamwork. I put in my 2-week resignation, and I was told I needed to work 4 weeks for re-hire eligibility by management. I looked up the policy in Ascension, and rehire eligibility minimum was for a 2-week minimum notice. Management's reply to my notification from the policy was "We've always done it that way." I would work overtime consistently and was respected by management. When I decided to work the expected amount of hours in my contract due to personal responsibilities and would say "No" to requests for coming in extra even with bonuses, management turned on me, and the respect was gone. Hardly anybody else would pick up extra hours, and the scheduling was awful and unfair.

2 people found this review helpful

Reputation Management Specialist

Thank you for your balanced review. Associates at Ascension are the organization’s greatest strength. We will take your comments and reflect upon them. If you would like to continue this dialogue, we would welcome that discussion. Please feel free to email us at Careers@Ascension.org.

5. 5.0

Student friendly

May 9, 2021 - EMT-B in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

All nurse managers I have met so far have been very understanding, and genuinely want to see me succeed.

Cons

Infrequent bonuses, and slow to give raises.

Reputation Management Specialist

Thank you for your review. We are thrilled to know you feel supported by staff and management. We appreciate your comments and we will reflect upon them. Thank you for your service and dedication to our mission.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

They care about their employees

May 4, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL
      Business Outlook

Pros

They had no layoffs or demotions during Covid when most health systems had to cut positions because of financial strain. St. Vincent's took the hit so that they could protect their associates. They also offer financial help to associates in need (i.e. homes damaged from tornadoes).

Cons

Some units are short staffed

Reputation Management Specialist

Thank you for your review. At Ascension, we strive to provide spiritually-centered, holistic care that sustains and improves the health of individuals and communities. We will take your comments and reflect upon them. We appreciate your service and dedication to our mission.

7. 5.0

Hard work

May 10, 2021 - Registered Nurse in Nashville, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Plenty of opportunity for overtime

Cons

Unsafe patient ratios, always understaffed

Reputation Management Specialist

Thank you for your review. You became a nurse to make a difference. We are thrilled that you continue to choose to serve your community with us. We will take your comments and reflect upon them. Thank you for all that you do and your commitment to our mission.

8. 4.0

Great leadership!

May 10, 2021 - Practice Manager in Waco, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Challenging role with supportive leaders.

Cons

Processes are lengthy in general.

Reputation Management Specialist

Thank you for your review. Associates at Ascension are the organization’s greatest strength. We are thrilled to know that you are experiencing a positive work environment and that you feel supported by management. Thank you for your dedication to our mission to provide personalized, compassionate care to those who need it most.

9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Stay away.

May 11, 2021 - Registered Nurse in Birmingham, AL
      Business Outlook

Pros

The staff I worked with is amazing, for the most part.

Cons

-Management -Pay -Work environment -Nurse to patient ratios

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Company so long as you can stay employed with them.

May 5, 2021 - EHR Analyst in Grand Blanc, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Strong Core Values Large National Reach Strong Technical Capabilities Fiscally Conservative

Cons

I've seen much of their IT and Clinical workforce be let go over the years as they outsource various functions.

Reputation Management Specialist

Thank you for leaving a review. We are pleased to hear that your time with Ascension has been a positive experience. At Ascension, we are committed to our mission of serving the poor and vulnerable. Thank you for your time and dedication.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 3,091 Reviews