KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Part of Ascension
Engaged Employer

Ascension Seton

Add a Review

Ascension Seton Employee Reviews about "seton"

Updated Mar 4, 2020

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Ascension Seton and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "seton"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Not bad, not what it used to be either.

Nov 6, 2017 - RN Staff Nurse in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Patient Ratios were always reasonable and patient safety was a focus.

Cons

After Ascension took over, the managers they hired were less nurse-centric, more worried about pleasing upper management at whatever the cost. The old, great managers ended up quitting or were let go. The old Seton functioned great. New Seton still gives good care but at the cost of the nurses. Also, Seton only hires new nurses. Rarely do they hire experienced nurses. Its the inexperienced teaching the brand new. Not safe.

1 person found this review helpful
  2. 3.0
    Former Employee

Great mission but staff too reduced in administrative and operational areas

Jan 3, 2013 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Seton has a great mission and really dedicated staff. They have good hospitals that aim to constantly improve customer service.

Cons

It is a good place to work if you are a clinical professional like a nurse, but if you are in operations or administration they keep cutting staff and forcing more work on the overworked people that are left. There are alot of cost saving studies done and constant needs to reduce costs and people, which are mostly on the operations side.

3. 4.0

Great place to work

May 31, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Seton has great insurance and there's a lot of shift flexibility as a nurse. There's also a lot of flexibility in trying new positions if you want or changing locations without leaving your job.

Cons

There's a policy that if you call in after a certain time before your shift, it's considered a late call in and its looked down on/ your manager will speak to you. I don't think this is fair

4. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great Place to Work

Oct 25, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Seton is run by very intelligent individuals who are focused on the long term viability of the hospitals. They are dedicated to their mission of providing the best possible patient care.

Cons

Seton is a great place to work so you have man people who have been working there for many years. Unfortunately, often times, people get comfortable and resist change. This has caused issues when we're trying to implement technological improvements.

5. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Charge Nurse Emergency Department Dell Seton Medical Center

Dec 5, 2017 - Charge Nurse in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great staff, the best in the city in terms of the people you get to work with. We have the best doctors for an ED too. Our managers really care. Several nurses, RTs, and other clinical staff have been there forever. which makes it really feel like a family. There is a top-notch nurse residency for new nurses. There is also a very good transition fellowship if you are interested in transitioning to a new specialty.

Cons

The company was taking over by Ascension Health. Ascension is making things more corporate and this has an effect on morale. There is not much room to move up. We have had layoffs at least 3 times in the 10 years I have worked for the Seton network. I wanted to apply for an Infection Preventionist position but about a month before I could apply, the head of Infection Prevention was laid off because they eliminated her position. This made me scared to apply. I had friends try and apply for supervisor positions only to find out that the positions they were applying for were eliminated before they could even interview. They also eliminated jobs for Spanish interpreters, Social Workers, and Child Life specialists who are still greatly needed. These job eliminations put a lot more stress on nurses who have to do more and more with less and less.

3 people found this review helpful
  6. 1.0
    Former Employee

Get out of a Seton "Ministry"

May 14, 2022 - Radiology Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

The air conditioning in the of the non-profit Administrative building by Dell Children's had lovely offices on the top floor and assistance who help executives be connected "Austin FC" or marathons or what else is fun to talk about at parties.

Cons

-Your Staff get paid less than St. David's, BS&W, and ARA. -No Director -Capital budget gets shared with Nursing, Surgery, Lab, Respiratory, OR -You'll work for the COO of your site and their goals. Siloed by design. -Every year you get a letter saying don't use*your* HSA/FSA earning for things the Catholic church does not like (but no employer can actually prevent its use on birth control, IVF, vasectomy) -Equipment, on the whole, is the oldest in any central Texas hospital. --Upper administration is reactive; year's of letting BS&W invest in infrastructure while Seton spends money on surgeons pet projects that don't' make financial sense (e.g. equipment the surgeon gets bored of). Let me put it this way, they contract out all the radiologists (they're ARA) and ARA owns the PACS infrastructure in the hospital-think about what that means.

7. 3.0
    Current Employee

Run ETL process and maintain data warehouses for dashboard applications

May 11, 2015 - Programmer Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Seton leverages cutting edge techniques to resolve data discrepancy issues.

Cons

Poor work-life balance exists at workplace.

8. 3.0

Quality/Compliance

Apr 20, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Seton is focused on providing quality care and innovative results. There is a recent push to improve employee satisfaction.

Cons

There is a lot of restructuring going on within the organization. I know people who love it and hate it here. It really depends on your manager and qualities of your division.

9. 4.0
    Current Intern

Great Company

Apr 27, 2016 - Anonymous Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great leadership, great people who believe that what they are doing will help the greatest amount of people

Cons

All HR duties are outsourced to the parent organization (Ascension) causing delays in communication between Seton and a potential associate

10. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Seton Is NOT about Humancare

Jun 5, 2015 - Clinical Assistant Ll in Burnet, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Insurance is the only good aspect of Seton; other than that I wouldn't recommend anyone work for Seton

Cons

Management is closed minded, they say its about Humancare but its more about the $$ I was told not to give an extra tray to an elderly man that haf been there all day with his wife even though he hadn't left her side and he was diabetic. Management even told me one time it was my fault that I got treated the way I do when all I did was show up early and work my backside off. Also management showed favortism towards seasoned employees and never eanted to hear both sides.

3 people found this review helpful