Ascentria Care Alliance Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Great Agency!"

I have been working at Ascentria Care Alliance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, promote a work/family balance, upper management is approachable, agency communicates about long term plans, agency makes an effort to gather employee feedback, room to grow, provide financial support to further your career

Cons

The health insurance plan could be improved-though it is probably comparable to other non profits

"You are better off working for DCF"

Current Employee - Case Manager (URM) in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Case Manager (URM) in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Ascentria Care Alliance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Working with the refugee minor population and make a true impact in their lives
    -Most co-workers are friendly and, overall, there is a sense of comradery (which is HIGHLY needed given the very low employee morale)
    -Decent amount of paid holidays but Paid Vacation and Sick time is all packaged in one bundle

Cons

-Very low pay for a role that directly compares to DCF entry level Social Workers. About a $13,000 pay differential for new hires. Some workers not given the Bilingual differential pay.
    -Management lies about pay increases. 2% raise was promised a year ago but never happened -even after requiring all Case Managers to become licensed social workers.
    -There is no respect for employees in terms of communication around compensation issues, either. Funding is obviously available from the state and federal contract but it is not reflected in the pay.
    -Long hours in the field and even longer hours driving to clients without enough adequate supervisory support
    -Certain supervisors are not properly trained which has a direct negative impact on the Case Workers they are intended to supervise and support. Management needs to monitor Supervisors better to ensure they are truly fulfilling their roles.
    -Morale is very low amongst the team. Most workers looking to leave after realizing conditions are not improving. There has been significant turnover (even in one of the management positions) in the last year, because of this reason.
    -Uneven workload distribution amongst Case Managers, some are favored and given more flexibility based on personal circumstances, like having a family, but are compensated the same as others.
    -Case Managers are patronized and not shown adequate amount of respect when issues are raised
    -Overall the agency is unable to attract and retain enough talented and prepared individuals
    -Very high insurance deductible and monthly insurance cost, benefits are lacking
    -Opportunities to move up are saved for those who are friendly with management, even if not exactly qualified or appropriate for the positions

3. "Ten years with this Organization, wonderful place to work."

Current Employee - Director in Concord, NH
    Current Employee - Director in Concord, NH

I have been working at Ascentria Care Alliance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Ten years with this Organization. Very supportive of work/life balance. Flexible schedule and really caring team. Innovative, dedicated, mission-driven Organization. These people make a difference.

Cons

Some processes need to be streamlined, compensation struggles that come with social services. Hard to attract new employees in competitive marketplace.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward. Listen to those out in the field and invest in those dedicated, hard- working employees.

"Great Mission Terrible Management"

Former Employee - URM in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - URM in Worcester, MA

I worked at Ascentria Care Alliance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall Ascentria offers great services to the community and you truly feel like you can make a difference in the life of another person. Most jobs are also flexible and most co-workers are friendly and there for the same reason- to help others.

Cons

Although it is flexible, as a field worker you usually end up working longer hours and can almost never truly use your compensation time. This hard work usually goes unnoticed by supervisors or anyone in management. Human resource department is very difficult to work with and contact regarding any problems; especially if you are having difficulty with supervisors which makes work difficult. While the job is rewarding, you earn little and end up feeling stressed, overworked and under apprecaited.

Advice to Management

Focus on your field workers and their well being, also revise your policies so they fit your practice.

5. "Language Bank - Great Place!"

Current Employee - Marketing in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Marketing in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Ascentria Care Alliance part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the work that I do at Language Bank. The staff is extremely hard-working, friendly, and very knowledgeable. There is flexibility with regard to hours and an appreciation for work/life balance. If you are looking to work for an exciting and diverse organization - Language Bank is the place!

Cons

Parking can be a hassle.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on initiatives that foster the well-being of your employee base - great job.

"My favorite job with the worst pay"

Former Employee - Office Assistant in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in Worcester, MA

I worked at Ascentria Care Alliance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

3 weeks ATO, flexible schedule

Cons

No raises in 3 years. Ever.

Advice to Management

Please give the hard working people a chance to make a living wage. As a single mother with 2 young children, it broke my heart to have to quit my job. I had no choice. My rent increased every year I worked there and with zero pay increase I could no longer afford to work at a job I loved. My direct manager asked repeatedly for me to recieve a rsise along with my title change and was rebuffed. Twice.

"Hostile workplace"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, NH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, NH

I worked at Ascentria Care Alliance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some people were great to work with.

Cons

President made more than a 3 story house is worth in one year yet some employees had to be on food stamps to survive.

No raise in years even though cost of living went up.

Management took credit for their employees work yet were quick to point the finger if something was wrong.

Always adding new management positions, yet no money for the workers down below.

Very competitive atmosphere and not in a good way.

Immature managers that have never managed in their life and have had no training.

No training on anything.

Advice to Management

Take a look at how top heavy the company is, all that management is not helpful.

Take a look at the wages of the people who actually do the work.

When management makes a decision, include the people who will actually be doing the work so they can give input.

"Too Muich Oversight, Too Little Direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, NH

I have been working at Ascentria Care Alliance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Good work/life balance
    -Steady schedule
    -Starting pay is not bad

Cons

-Management expects a lot but does little in the way of training
    -No room for growth
    -No raises
    -Lots of strange policies that aren't written out
    -Management has a lot of dreams but no real leadership, they chase clients rather than building up the foundation of the organization. Managers frequently respond to requests for assistance with bad advice ("concentrate" "work harder"), and dislike being pointed out as having also made mistakes.

Advice to Management

-Employees prefer more pay, not massages and bagels
    -A good mission does not fix a bad job
    -Learn how to train employees
    -Divide responsibilities sensibly

9. "Great people, Great work!"

Current Employee - Web and Digital Marketing Manager in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Web and Digital Marketing Manager in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Ascentria Care Alliance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked here for under a year and LOVE the people and the work. Moving into the nonprofit sector for the first time I am excited to got o work knowing my work directly affects someone's life in a positive way. With so many programs and services offered, there's always a way to get involved. The people here really believe in the work here and it really makes a difference in feeling welcomed to the team.

Cons

Being a nonprofit with a fixed budget for program and client needs, some of the systems and equipment can be outdated. Not having access to some resources sometimes takes from the fun of the work by adding unnecessary additional stress to employees functions.

Advice to Management

Continue the course of being transparent with your staff. they appreciate being kept in the loop.

10. "Great mission and great people doing great work"

Current Employee - Multimedia Manager in Concord, NH
    Current Employee - Multimedia Manager in Concord, NH

I have been working at Ascentria Care Alliance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I see examples everyday of how Ascentria's mission, "We are called to strengthen communities by empowering people to respond to life's challenges" guides this organization toward the most effective use of resources to help the people and communities it serves. Great leadership, dedicated staff and amazing volunteers keep me in this organization.

Cons

Like many nonprofits, it suffers from a lack of resources/resource streams. I am continually impressed by the creative response made at all levels within the organization to make the most effective use of those resources to help the people we serve.

Advice to Management

Carry on!