Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College President Dennis King
Dennis King

1. "Great place, great staff"

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Swannanoa, NC
    Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Swannanoa, NC

I worked at Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College (More than a year)

Pros

AB Tech is a great place to teach

Cons

The community college salaries for adjunct professors are some of the lowest in the country. Not the school's fault, more of poor education pay in the state of the North Carolina.

Advice to Management

Push for improved pay for faculty members in the state.

2. "Work study position in marketing department"

Former Employee - Content Editor in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Content Editor in Asheville, NC

I worked at Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful learning experience
    Engaging
    Everyone wants you to succeed and are willing to help you to do so

Cons

There is not always a position available at the end of the work study term.

3. "Excellent Place to Work"

Former Employee - Faculty Member in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Faculty Member in Asheville, NC

Pros

There is a real "family" atmosphere at ABTCC among faculty members & staff members. The management really reaches out to everyone, in an effort to get to know the employees; there is an annual employee picnic every year and it is a great time to celebrate accomplishments and welcome new faces. The upper management (VP's and President's Office) are easy to speak to, with an open-door policy most of the time. Employee benefits are also very good at this institution.

Cons

ABTCC must raise salaries for faculty members to ensure that they employ the best, most-qualified folks around. There is increasingly more competition in the western NC area in terms of higher education; no one will work at ABTCC just for the atmosphere....salaries must be competitive as well. That being said, the state of NC currently has a horrible governor who does not seem to support any pay raises or decent budgets of any kind, so....that is a next-to-impossible obstacle to overcome. However, private universities will lure away the best faculty members if salaries are not updated to reflect cost of living (which is definitely NOT cheap anymore in Asheville and surrounding areas!).

Advice to Management

Work to increase salaries to lure highly-qualified faculty and staff members to ABTCC.

"Stuck in the past"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Asheville, NC

I worked at Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of incentive to look for a new job.

Cons

The culture and attitudes are surprisingly backward. Recycling at the college is questionable at best. I carefully recycled paper every day for two years in blue recycling bins. Then an email came out announcing the introduction of a recycling program in my building. All my carefully recycled paper had been going in the trash. Staff didn't bother to turn off desk lamps, fans or computers, even before leaving on vacation. Staff in my department gave me grief because I drove a hybrid car. You'd have thought it was 1940, not 2014. It was obvious from their comments they knew nothing about hybrids. It was just a reason to harass me. They seemed to enjoy harassing part time staff. They finally shut up a year later when a new supervisor drove up in a hybrid. Every year the school celebrates Earth Day with a picnic for staff and students. And every year they served food on non-recyclable Styrofoam plates.

"Adult Basic Ed Part-time teaching"

Former Employee - Adult Basic Education Instructor in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Adult Basic Education Instructor in Asheville, NC

Pros

- Meaningful work with adult learners in Adult Basic Ed and ESL department

Cons

- have to piecemeal part-time income together because you are limited to 20 hours a week and not paid for lesson planning.

7. "ABTech.edu"

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable in Asheville, NC

I worked at Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Can be very slow at times

8. "Tutor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC

I worked at Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College (More than a year)

Pros

Great community college experience. Diverse student body. Learning center is like a family. Best for current students or those with a masters degree. Supervisor is amazing.

Cons

Low wage. Must be current student or have masters degree to work In the learning centers. No other complaints personally.

9. "Communication with my supervisor was limited and I was never entirely sure of how I stood."

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Asheville, NC

I worked at Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was good. There was some support for finding teaching materials. Lots of training available. I had an associate full time teacher who was my point person to go to for advice, and she was very helpful and supportive.

Cons

I found myself teaching bored high school students instead of college students. Sometimes I would not know until the last minute if I were subbing that day or not. It was difficult to converse productively with my supervisor, as that person was unhappy and quite passive-aggressive. It took a long time to develop lessons, as well as grade, for I had to grade all the work left behind by the teacher before me (this is unpaid time). Internet connection at the high school outreach was severely limited, so often I would have to bring everything for lessons to class, because we (I was not exempt from the restrictions) could not look things up online.

Advice to Management

I think, that in the cases of having only one supervisor to go to who is hard to approach, it would be good to have some information on other possible avenues to address concerns. I felt my supervisor was difficult to talk to, and the Dean off limits in general.

10. "PT Instructor"

Former Employee - Pt Instructor in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Pt Instructor in Asheville, NC

I worked at Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a nice academic environment with adults and young adults who are there for a purpose

Cons

It is very difficult to obtain full time work, and you are limited to only 13 hours per week as a part time instructor.

11. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Math Tutor in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Math Tutor in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very flexible with schedules. Interesting and smart people to work with. Challenging work.

Cons

No good cafe for lunch. No good place for coffee. Honestly, my only gripes are the food.