Ashford University Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Craig Swenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Zero job security, expect layoffs twice a year (in 28 reviews)

• HIgh Pressure to client and employees (in 25 reviews)

1. "OK place to work"

I have been working at Ashford University full-time

Pros

Flexibility of working remotely
    Well-established curriculum
    Friendly people in small depts

Cons

Pay is not quite adequate
    Inflexibility of senior leadership
    Bot good reputation

Advice to Management

Listen to employees, quit trying to get good scores on internal surveys

2. "Online Adjunct Instructor"

I have been working at Ashford University part-time

Pros

Uses Canvas. Courses are five weeks. Classes are already set up for you.

Cons

If I need assistance from management I feel it's like pulling teeth. However, if they need something it's urgent.

3. "A decent place to work"

I worked at Ashford University part-time

Pros

Ashford is an organized for profit school. They regularly schedule classes for staff and provide good assistance.

Cons

Ashford is a for profit school, so students are, at times, not prepared for the classes they are put into.

"Not bad. Not Great."

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some incredibly talented and smart people working here that you can really learn from when it comes to the field of online education, which is only going to become more prominent in the future.

Cons

Mediocre pay for the city that it's in. If you're a single person on this pay, better get roommates and live somewhere far because you certainly can't afford to live alone on this pay in San Diego. The health benefits are the absolute worst! I didn't even know there were such terrible wellness options until I was stuck with them. There are layoffs constantly. There is no such thing as job security for anyone.

Advice to Management

Pick better health insurance, stop laying off people, and pay them according to the city your company is based in.

5. "Great place to gain experience."

I worked at Ashford University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I would have to say the time and money that is put in for training to assist in the growth of their management team.

Cons

The massive amount of hiring and firing, the level of insecurity they instill in you. Which causes you to panic and feel insecure in your abilities.

6. "Great Place"

Former Employee - Admissions Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Admissions Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun Sales Driven Culture where you can succeed if you want to

Cons

Sometimes high stress because of oerformance

7. "I had the ability to develop my leadership skills but upper management is too far removed"

Former Employee - Enrollment Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Enrollment Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership and development opportunities were great. Opportunity to work along side your staff was a plus. You develop great relationships working so close and side by side. Direct manager was open and honest.

Cons

Upper management has unrealistic expectations and drives budgets that are difficult to meet. Policies and practices are always changing and sometimes they revert back to a practice that was tried before and failed.

Advice to Management

Get to know the business before creating goals and expectations for your people that they cannot achieve

8. "A Institution of Take their money"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with were Amazing and the cafeteria food was great.

Cons

It is Cattle call, cold calling and a numbers based college. They didnt care if the students were learning or not and I had students emailing me who didnt have a grasp of the English Language (their/there; youre/your) yet were Grad degree students. The Managers were a Joke. They dated each other and swapped like we were at a dance. One week if your Manager was dating someone who could help you they would. If they broke up then they wouldnt help our team out at all. I truly believed I was in a HS setting. I was hired for one job yet placed in another based off of my Education Level/ Skillset yet the pay was Poverty. I went back to teaching at Community COllege with less stress and more money.

Advice to Management

Hire qualified people based off Education Level/Skillset and not based on their looks. Education doesnt need to be sold like an auction.

"A thankless experience"

Former Employee - Instructor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Instructor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some nice students and clear structure and advice. Good response times from the help person assigned to faculty.

Cons

Welcome to the McDonaldization of teaching. Very little control.
    After several classes with good student reviews, I was basically not reassigned when the chair offered "coaching" and I asked if it was evaluative and voluntary or not. Asking this question ultimately got me no more classes. The "coaching" consisted of being told to cut and paste reponses with ther person's name in every one, irrespective of when it made sense to offer feedback. It was also pressure to perform much more labor for the same paycheck with zero insight from the instructor. You can bet the feedback I got from the "coach" was the same type they were advocating: cut and pasted suggestions for improvement. Even before the pressure to do more unpaid academic labor, the pay is about what you'd make at McDonalds. No dialog allowed on what constitutes good teaching, and actually no good teaching required. Just give everyone perfect scores or the professor is required to explain every point deducted from the student, they do not have to earn points. you earn the right to deduct points. the majority of students did need assistance and were not writing at a college level. in every course, there was at least one person found to be plagiarizing to the level of needing to be reported. this can be challenging because to truly offer a worthwhile educational experience, addressing these issues is time consuming. students rated my courses highly and made comments indicating the instruction was good. the coach rated me as "distinguished" in all but one category where they said I was under for not cutting and pasting enough pat responses and 100% repeating the students name in every commment so as soon as the course was over, I was told there weren't any classes available. within a month, they'd deleted my account entirely. I was already struggling with whether for-profit schools with cookie cutter classes were ethical. this left a bad taste in my mouth for sure.

"Online Adjunct Instructor"

I worked at Ashford University part-time

Pros

They pay well, most of the classes are already set up and they use e-college and Waypoint, which makes interacting with students and grading easy.

Cons

You never know who to contact for what. There's a department chair, then a separate scheduling department and other units. If one has a question, it's unclear who to direct it to. I worked for Ashford for 6.5 yrs which is a long time for an online university and then they sent me a form letter saying my services were no longer needed. It was very cold and impersonal. To this day, I have no idea what happened. They have no loyalty to their employees.