Ashford University Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ashford University President Richard L. Pattenaude
Richard L. Pattenaude

Pros
  • Great people within the organization (in 48 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits, solid training program (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a high pressure work environment with little job security (in 26 reviews)

• HIgh Pressure to client and employees (in 25 reviews)

1. "The worst kind of inconsistency."

Former Employee - ESA in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - ESA in Denver, CO

I worked at Ashford University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay and benefits are both good. Solid 401(k) plan. Awesome co-workers.

Cons

Literally everything else. Every level of management spews different lies to the people below them just to pretend like what they are doing actually helps people. This is a for-profit online university that targets poor, uneducated people in the hopes that they can be tricked into spending over $12,000 per year for an education that probably won't help them in the first place.

Advice to Management

Get on the same page. Every single team manager does something different and when you bounce ESA's around from team to team you can't expect them to just drop everything their previous manager taught to learn something completely different for a new manager. You treat your employees as well as the people they are trying to enroll as numbers and it needs to stop.

"Stressful and at times unethical environment."

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your basic Monday through Friday schedule unless you volunteer to work Saturdays. They offer a pretty substantial training and development program and the pay is decent.

Cons

Unrealistic goals and unethical practices. The school focuses their sales campaigns on areas in our country that are predominantly uneducated and on people who don't even find value in having an education.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge your turnover rate and fix the issues causing it.

"Adjunct instructor"

Former Employee - Adjunct in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Adjunct in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing really. I mean it.

Cons

Worst paying adjunct job of my life. Supervisors were absent but reviewed courses and would try to intimidate. No on in HR there to talk to, no one in the administration returned multiple calls or emails. Unprofessional place to work, students are ill equipped to deal with their work loads, are passed into coursework they do not understand and can neither write nor add or subtract. The worst thing about this place is that the students are coerced to enroll in programs they are ill suited for. The curriculum is static, the instructors no more that pawns who are required to make posting banks and not personalize responses because sometimes over 40 students are in a class. Just horrific in all ways.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes please..you have lost many good people due to your lack of care and consideration of the people who work for you.

5. "SALES"

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay and awesome cafeteria.

Cons

The pros: The pay is very decent, and the cafteria is awesome. Now...

The cons: When applying for this job they never mention the word SALES. They say you're being hired as a "Admissions Counselor" but in reality you're selling people on going to school, and you're doing so by making cold calls ALLLLL DAY long. Even in training they say things like "give them the vision, etc...". Still never saying the word sale. After about a month I revealed to HR that I was pregnant, and was coinsidentally fired the very next day for having been 3 minutes late 3 weeks prior due to an accident on the freeway that I verified and passing training with 100%.
    JUST A HORRIBLE AND STRESSFUL PLACE TO WORK UNLESS YOU'RE INTO SALES.

Advice to Management

Tell people they're gonna be doing sales.

"Ashford University is a scam."

Former Employee - Enrollment Services Advisor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Enrollment Services Advisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University full-time

Pros

The pay rate is quite high for a beginning salary for such a lowbrow job.

Cons

Ashford University is a scam. Employees are directed to focus on sales and boosting the university's numbers (read: quantity, not quality); Advisors work in very loud work environments (teams on each floor are encouraged to ring bells, cheer, chant, and play music at all levels to compete with surrounding teams); Employees are directed to call the same phone numbers up to three times per day (this is a cold-call center, although employers will try to have you believe these are "warm" calls); Neither Ashford nor Bridgepoint Education, Ashford's parent company, is interested in the quality of the students' education, as depicted by the high student drop-out rate and high employee turnover; Ashford exploits students who rely on federal student aid (general loans, veteran grants, and loans for disability), especially those who are easily tricked and have backgrounds with little schooling; Advisors will push potential students to apply in the first phone call; Advisors will use any trick to keep individuals on the phone, including lying and fabricating stories that may resonate with the individuals; Managers and directors assess each advisor’s hours by recording and calculating how the advisor delegates every minute during the working day (time spent on the phone, number of phones calls per day, and hours “away”, including time spent in the bathroom).

You can get by in an Enrollment Services Advisor position at Ashford University for a few months by doing nearly nothing (or by making positive changes to alert callers/customers/students of Ashford’s façade and of the individual’s rights as a customer), but it will catch up to you. I took the job at Ashford because I was desperate, they paid a decent amount for a starting salary, and the position was seemingly in an area in which I had interest and experience. I wasn’t naive to the fact that this was a call center where morals might be questionable, I was just desperate for a job and I had some sliver of hope that I might make a positive difference.

I did the best that I could to inform individuals of their right to ask us to stop calling (which, by law, requires the caller to stop if there is no business and/or monetary agreement between the two). Without Ashford’s encouragement or approval, I created my own English and computer lessons for a student who should not have been admitted into the school to begin with, who should have, instead, taken remedial classes to understand the basic concepts of certain subjects. (For example, this student did not know how to turn on her computer or how to write a complete sentence.) I’m a huge proponent for continued education, but only with steps that are helpful and which give the student a foundation on which to grow, steps which Ashford does not provide.

The micromanagement and threats to terminate employees further prove Ashford’s lack of trust in its employees, but what ultimately led me to quit was the deception that Ashford sells to uninformed students.

Currently, there’s approximately a $24 million lawsuit against Ashford University for deceiving students into believing that financial loans would not be nearly as expensive as they actually are after students leave or graduate. This lawsuit follows a $7.25 million lawsuit in 2014, where Ashford graduates who studied education were not recognized by their home state as qualified teachers.

Advice to Management

I'm at a loss for words of advice to give to management. Stop kidding yourself; Ashford University is a sham.

"Don't waste your time"

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No dress code enforced
    Air Condition on hot days
    Access to Wi-Fi

Cons

TOTAL NEPOTISM
    LIE TO STUDENTS CONSTANTLY
    FAKE MANAGEMENT
    FOR PROFIT SCHOOL IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT
    ADMISSIONS should be RENAMED TO SALES TEAM
    ALWAYS making "changes" that NEVER help
    Constant MICRO MANAGING
    SO LOUD YOU CAN'T CONCENTRATE or hear your phone calls
    THEY DEMAND you call a perspective student AT LEAST 5 times a day
    THEY DEMAND you call a student ONCE enrolled EVERY DAY or 3 times a day until you get a hold of them...ONCE they start class 3 x's a week
    Once the student STARTS school you (Enrollment Advisor) really only needs to follow them for 3 wks until they "become" a student FYI that means the MONEY FINANCIAL AID MONEYYYYY starts getting billed!! FOR PROFIT!!!!

Advice to Management

Instead of worrying so much about the numbers game, you SHOULD worry about the type of students Ashford is attracting and maybe your START to SIT ratio would be better. Instead of going after dead beats who are in debt, who just got out of prison, who are on welfare, have 5 kids, never worked and promising them they don't have to pay a penny until 6 months after they graduate...you should look for students who are WORKING, or completed some college! Maybe HIRE Enrollment Advisors who HAVE degrees and understand the importance of a Bachelors, not EA's who can't even spell or know the difference between an AA and a BA or what WASC stands for! Doesn't look good that you CLOSED A CAMPUS in Iowa, then a HUGE facility in San Diego and moved all the Corporate people to ONE big building..moved Directors out of offices into cubicles...DOWNSIZING DOESN'T LOOK GOOD ASHFORD...and on Better BUSINESS BUREAU you are "UNDER MODERATE GOVERNMENT ACTION AGNST THIS BUSINESS"

8. "horrible"

Former Contractor - Associate Faculty (Online) in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Contractor - Associate Faculty (Online) in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Ashford University as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

a paycheck I guess. there really isn't anything else that is positive about this position. I'm not sure what else to say.

Cons

you are a grader and commenter, not an actual instructor. they don't care about your ability inspire student's curiosity and learning. probably because they don't really care if students even learn. as long as they can cash those direct loan checks all is good.

extremely poor LMS technology. seriously. it's like they paid a 12 year old to write it over summer break or something.

Advice to Management

don't punish your underpaid faculty for your inadequate tech.

"Bored"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

Good people are recruited here but not taken care of.

Cons

Horrible place to work and a miserable boiler room work environment

Advice to Management

Move to a company where people will appreciate your talents

"Dying Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Over 5 years at this company and I can't think of any pros, when I started in 2011, things were very different, there were pros then.

Cons

Horrible working environment. Higher ups do not bother to understand how their departments work, yet make drastic changes resulting in poor service to students and staff that hate their jobs. (Many people in my dept that had been there for years all have left in the last 2 years- management doesn't care, they replace them with people that can't do that job and end up being fired, this happened w 3 new hires in my department within a year).

Horrible benefits that get worse and more expensive every year.

NO incentives to stay. They took away tenure increases, and merit increases last year and late in the year was able to give a small increase, but this barely covered the cost of the increase in health care.

Constantly being lied to by directors and above. I've never worked for a company that had so much blatant lying.

Honestly, this for profit school is dying, there are always lay offs, enrollment will not pick up because established universities now offer online programs that cost about the same as AU, except when they graduate their degree will help them succeed. (Google all the lawsuits against AU.) All these things will add to eventually becoming bankrupt and shutting its doors, just like Corinthians. AU already closed their Iowa campus, their business offices in San Diego have been closing as well. I bet it will be closed within 3 years, if that.

DO NOT work here, unless this is the only job option you have. But In-N-Out will pay pretty close to the starting salary at AU and you won't have to worry about it closing.

"Unless you are deserate or are just looking for exerience, I would move along."

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA

Pros

Decent pay, Good place to get sales experience for your NEXT JOB

Cons

They focus on how many students you have enrolled and do not care whether the student is a good fit or not. Your monthly quota is determined based on how many of your students actually stay in school. You could literally get written up for not meeting your quota if a student drops out and brings your "numbers down". Perhaps if they focused on getting QUALITY students who will actually stay in school and not on QUANTITY. I actually had serious concerns about a student who could not get through the application without assistance. I told me manager that I did not think that she would be a good fit and that she should probably start at a junior college first. He said, "Who cares! As long as she passes her first class you get credit for her, if she fails the rest or drops out, that not your problem." The school literally does not care about your ability to succeed. They just want your money.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect. Every six months they do layoffs and you can cut the tension with a knife in the entire building. Stop promoting people to manager just because they are good sales people. JUST BECAUSE THEY ENROLL A LOT OF STUDENTS DOES NOT MEAN THAT THEY ARE CAABLE OF TEACHING IT AND IT DOESN'T MEAN THAT THEY WOULD BE A GOOD MANAGER. In my first year at Ashford, I had three managers and went three months with NO manager at all. That's a great way to give a new employee a good solid foundation to grow from! NOT. Three weeks on the job and my mgr got pulled away from her desk and was not seen again and I had no manager for three months. I was taught by my coworkers, all who had some REALLY shady ways to get students. When I finally got a manger, he stayed for two months and then I went another two months with no manager. My third manager was new (he had never been a manager before) and I had to teach him! Stop focusing on QUANTITY OVER QUALITY. The pay may be decent but it isn't worth the stress. I eventually quit because I was tired of the constant revolving door. Fire 200 people, hire 200...fire 200, hire 200 every six months