Ashford University Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Craig Swenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Zero job security, expect layoffs twice a year (in 28 reviews)

• HIgh Pressure to client and employees (in 25 reviews)

"A thankless experience"

Former Employee - Instructor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Instructor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some nice students and clear structure and advice. Good response times from the help person assigned to faculty.

Cons

Welcome to the McDonaldization of teaching. Very little control.
    After several classes with good student reviews, I was basically not reassigned when the chair offered "coaching" and I asked if it was evaluative and voluntary or not. Asking this question ultimately got me no more classes. The "coaching" consisted of being told to cut and paste reponses with ther person's name in every one, irrespective of when it made sense to offer feedback. It was also pressure to perform much more labor for the same paycheck with zero insight from the instructor. You can bet the feedback I got from the "coach" was the same type they were advocating: cut and pasted suggestions for improvement. Even before the pressure to do more unpaid academic labor, the pay is about what you'd make at McDonalds. No dialog allowed on what constitutes good teaching, and actually no good teaching required. Just give everyone perfect scores or the professor is required to explain every point deducted from the student, they do not have to earn points. you earn the right to deduct points. the majority of students did need assistance and were not writing at a college level. in every course, there was at least one person found to be plagiarizing to the level of needing to be reported. this can be challenging because to truly offer a worthwhile educational experience, addressing these issues is time consuming. students rated my courses highly and made comments indicating the instruction was good. the coach rated me as "distinguished" in all but one category where they said I was under for not cutting and pasting enough pat responses and 100% repeating the students name in every commment so as soon as the course was over, I was told there weren't any classes available. within a month, they'd deleted my account entirely. I was already struggling with whether for-profit schools with cookie cutter classes were ethical. this left a bad taste in my mouth for sure.

2. "Admissions Counselor"

I worked at Ashford University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay was good, you band together with your staff against the unrealistic pressure the apply to you.

Cons

Everything else with the company.

Advice to Management

Re-structure how you treat your employees and hire HR and Management that actually has leadership skills.

"Adjunct Associate Faculty"

Former Employee - Adjust Associate Faculty in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Adjust Associate Faculty in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. Would give zero stars on all indicators if that was an option.

Cons

Worse online teaching job of my 18 year career! Reasons:

-30+ students in an online course
    -4 assignments per week per student is a lot to grade
    -Faculty are supposed to give a ton of feedback. I calculated that with the amount of required feedback and 32 students I was making about $8/hr to teach an online class
    -Faculty mentors were rude and attempted to bully. I would get nasty emails if it was 12 hrs past the "grading deadline" and my grading wasn't completed. I was treated like I was an idiot, not a professional with a PhD and years of hands on experience in my field
    -Assigned reading had no publication date or were old. There were assigned articles that were more than 15 years old
    - Students in the course I was teaching were one class away from having a 4 year degree yet lacked writing skills and knowledge of APA formatting. If they were getting the required amount of faculty feedback all along, why weren't they better writers? If I graded as I usually do, all of them would have failed. I had to really lower the standard to meet the students at their level.

Advice to Management

Give faculty academic freedom to do what they do best. Implement admission standards and fail students who can't do the work.

"Sinking Ship"

I worked at Ashford University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good colleagues and the company is striving to be one of the Best Places to Work. The organizations has added new amenities to the building and is attempting to listen to employee concerns.

Cons

Although the organization is attempting to advocate for employees and listen to their concerns enrollment numbers are at an all-time low and each year the organization looks for new ways to run leaner and leaner. There are way too many competitors that offer more to students than Ashford University can, which means enrollment will continue to be on a downward trend and layoffs will continue to occur. The organization has an unhealthy work culture because of lack of trust and transparency.

"Awfully dull and boring"

Former Employee - Enrollment Services Advisor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Enrollment Services Advisor in Denver, CO

I worked at Ashford University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location if you like being on the 16th street mall with all the homeless and transient people. Fairly secure building. Close to expensive lunch spots which few can afford. Commuting to downtown is always a treat when faced with endless traffic, crowded commuter trains, and homeless people riding the local busses all day.

Cons

If it is shiny and glitters, does that mean it has value? If they promise you can work 4 10 hour days to earn a three-day weekend, and then it suddenly never happens, don’t worry. There is no reason, other than it would have made employees happy, and management has no vested interest in anyone being happy.

Everything here is as impersonal as a block of concrete. They pretend to notice birthdays, work anniversaries, and other milestones but if someone has a really big thing happen, expect nothing. This company is so cheap, it is embarrassing. They talk about empathy and compassion for coworkers, but they turn a blind eye to real distress right under their noses. Cold fish have better sensibilities than most Ashford management.

Benefits barely can be called by that name. Our insurance, if you can call it that, is a high deductible plan with a lot of holes and high costs. The roll-out meeting was cloak-and-dagger, so no real information was shared. We all found out the hard way! And now we’re stuck until we find something else.

How about offering professional development time to everyone, but make performance quotas so high that few people ever reach them, so very few people ever use Lynda.com because they fear for their jobs. In a cruel twist, directors then try to push professional development down our throats, like we aren’t doing it to spite them! They say they are by the numbers, and numbers don’t lie, and Excel shows them everything they need to know about us, how we should do our jobs, whether we are suited for our jobs or not. Fire a passionate employee who loves the company and the mission, and keep a mediocre employee who hates the job and makes less money than the other. What a concept.

Advice to Management

Stop being smug and juvenile about every good idea. Give credit to underlings who may know more than you think. Stop being insecure and promote people with good ideas, not just the suck-ups.

6. "Find somewhere else to work"

I worked at Ashford University full-time

Pros

The people were not too bad to work with. Only management.

Cons

Everything. They do not care who is the best employee. Promotions are typically rigged.

"Very low pay. Not even worthed"

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I cannot see any pros when the wages for the job are so low.

Cons

No self-respecting educated faculty with an advanced degree should accept to work for such a low wage.

Advice to Management

You need to consider offering full-time jobs with decent wages to your current adjunct faculty.

"Enrollment Services Advisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Met some awesome people. Co-workers make the day to day work almost enjoyable. Health plans were pretty decent. Free gym.

Cons

Yikes, where do I start? It's all about starts, starts, starts. Student that complete their first course. The company honestly does not care about the students. All they care about is making money, I mean, it's a for-profit school, but enrolling students that are nowhere near ready for school and strong arming them through their first class is borderline unethical.

Leads are absolutely horrible. Most of the people we get on the phone are looking for certificate programs, jobs or have no idea why we are even talking.

At the end of the day, it's sales. Don't say "it's all about servicing our students" when that is a blatant lie.

Advice to Management

A lot of untapped talent and great people have left the company. Actually invest in your people.

"pay too low, no job security"

Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University part-time

Pros

kind employees there, great course shells

Cons

no HR, no job security, $16/hr for teaching a class, don't need to know anything since the curriculum and course shell are complete and you cannot change them. Also, your posts on all discussions are 'Instructor' + your last name. You are not a professor even.

Advice to Management

hire college students as instructors.

"Soul sucking"

Pros

Training and pay were above average considering that they don't require higher education.

Cons

The company is sketchy, a friend of mine was fired while on maternity leave and the company got away with it on a technicality. The sales teams also encourage staff to enroll students under false pretenses. In addition I was denied any time off for my wedding because it was in August and they said the time was too difficult.

Advice to Management

Go through compliance training again, there is an obvious disconnect between what is said in sales training and what sales managers are telling their new sales staff.