Ashford University Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 8, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ashford University President Richard L. Pattenaude
Richard L. Pattenaude

Pros
  • Great people within the organization (in 48 reviews)

• Had good benefits and some flexibility within the job role (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a high pressure work environment with little job security (in 26 reviews)

• HIgh Pressure to client and employees (in 25 reviews)

1. "Ashford is getting better"

Current Employee - Enrollment Services Advisor in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Enrollment Services Advisor in Denver, CO

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helping students is the best and working with amazing people makes the job way better. Work culture is fun, and they are improving benefits and salaries

Cons

This job is not easy and if you do not succeed at the job, you can be fired asap. In the beginning in can be very dry but once you get some students, everything gets a bit easier.

Advice to Management

All of the things we as employees have asked for is starting to happen like more training options, avenues for promotions, and pay increases.

2. "Account Resolution Coordinator"

Current Employee - Account Resolution Coordinator in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Account Resolution Coordinator in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employment stability. Been here 6 years and our department hasn't had any lay-offs. Definitely the most stable department throughout the company especially compared to Admissions

Cons

Poor upper management communication. They make poor choices and then blame the student facing employees for lack of improvement. You can't tell us not to call students for payments for 2 months then turn around and complain about the limited amount of money coming in.

Advice to Management

Take responsibility and focus more on what your employees are telling you will work to solve problems rather than trying to implement unnecessary changes that do not improve the student experience.

3. "Insane"

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is a lot of talent in the entry level employee. Some of the most intelligent and skilled people I have ever met, I met here at Ashford

Cons

Most of these entry level and entry level management employees are not respected or heard beyond the named group. There are exceptions, but anyone director level or higher is literally out to get you as the company is executing planned staff reduction through "natural" attrition. Sales expectations remain the same while staff is cutback dramatically with the intention of providing sales with a faster converting lead provider, but that hasn't hit all salesmen yet. Furthermore, post sale maintenance increases with each added requirement and support declines as the departments who are supposed to provide it feel the added burden also.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. You have let your best people go and are still hanging in there because you were lucky enough to have had so many. I don't think you fully realize the value of admissions employees still working in the position who are far above the newly imposed salary cap. They are a dying breed and are not replaceable, it would be OK to recognize that and treat them accordingly. Good luck finding a significant number of high caliber sales professionals at what you hire at today, but you have had the benefit of the team environment encouraging peer to peer mentoring. This will be gone as soon as your "matrix" employees are.

5. "Meat grinder"

Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, good training, free school!

Cons

numbers based. they will not give you the resources you need to be successful. Then they will fire you.

Advice to Management

Take the time to train employees. If someone isn't successful in one department maybe they could be successful in a different department.

6. "Enrollment Services Advisor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great work environment, everyone gets along and I've made some great friends with current employees
    - Great benefits
    - Everyone is put in a team, so it helps that everyone contributes to meet goals

Cons

- Mundane
    - Dials, dials, dials
    - Expectations exceed, it's sometimes never good enough once you do meet the expectations
    - For- profit universities, so it's almost always about the numbers
    - For what we advisors go through, we need to be paid more

Advice to Management

I love the constant support, however, do not keep us in the dark.

7. "Admissions Counsleor - (12/2011 - 7/2012)"

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO

I worked at Ashford University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good employee benefits, Work environment and team building.

Cons

HIgh Pressure to client and employees. Calling individuals that didn't request info to go to school off Job search sites over & over again.

Advice to Management

Obtain better lead source for interested clients.

"Admissions Counselor at Ashford"

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Calling 300 to 400 people a day from cold call resource lists will really sharpen your skills to me efficient in your sales the moment a live person answers their phone. This job is great for building your sales skills in the sink-or-swim sort of way.

Cons

This is a very numbers driven job. While that can be a great motivating factor, it gets stressful when expectations cannot be met and the reason for that is truly out of your control. The fear of being let go at any moment is a real and constant fear that affects the energy of the workplace.

Advice to Management

Lower management: Keep up the good work. Your support is invaluable.

High level management: Change the platform. Make it so that your employees are not motivated by the fear of you releasing them if they're not productive enough for you. Many of those employees are still bringing other worthwhile qualities to the table.

"Apply at your own risk"

Former Employee - University Advisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

co workers, being able to connect an help students reach their goal. Learn a lot about the education field, multi task, stay busy

Cons

Management is one dimensional, all bout the dollar not the student

Advice to Management

Listen to your student facing advisors on the front line

"University Advisor"

Former Employee - University Advisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was good
    Great peers
    Loved working with the students

Cons

When things are good they are good. When things are bad they are bad.

Advice to Management

Find people who know what they are doing and get rid of the executives who are just doing it for the money.

"Roller Coaster Ride"

Current Employee - Enrollment Services Advisor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Enrollment Services Advisor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will find diamonds (students) in the rough that keep you going at this job. If you have a good manger things can be pretty good for you. Helping students achieve their goals and supporting them is the best part. One of the best things is they offer tuition benefits for their employees so definitely take advantage of this.

Cons

If you don't have a good manager things can be very difficult for you. The leads we are given are not always the easiest to work with. They changed their raise structure and recently screwed a lot of people out of their deserved raises. This job is difficult and i would only recommend it for the right reason.

Advice to Management

Try to remember that these are people we are working with and not numbers. Their needs more recognition and consistency. It is getting better, but we have a ways to go. Also try to pay people what they are worth. People worked hard to earn their raises. Lastly we need more development for people who wish to move up in the company.