Ashford University Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ashford University President Richard L. Pattenaude
Richard L. Pattenaude

Pros
  • Great people within the organization (in 48 reviews)

• Had good benefits and some flexibility within the job role (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a high pressure work environment with little job security (in 26 reviews)

• HIgh Pressure to client and employees (in 25 reviews)

"Most unhappy I've ever been in my whole life..."

Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Clinton, IA
    Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Clinton, IA

Pros

Pros- the friendships I've made with some very special people.

Cons

Everything-
    Sales quota to meet weekly in enrolling students
    Pay and reviews are simply based off of those numbers alone, and not the quality of support or help that one offers to their students
    Substantial paycuts if you are unable to meet your sales goals, I've specifically heard of up to 20K
    You can only move up if you're friends with HR or a Manager who is related to the Director
    I feel like the most incompetent employee ever, degraded on a daily basis as to why I am so incompetent and cannot enroll more "bodies" even though I know it would not be in the best interest of the student
    It's always my fault if a student is in default or overlapping loan period so that I cannot enroll them at this time
    Overtime and weekends are required if you want to make any progress whatsoever, so that we are forced away from our families and children
    If you're sick on any given day, be sure that your entire database will be perused though by your fellow "teammates"
    One for one, and who you may consider your friend today will tomorrow cut you at the knees to get that next student enrolled, because it helps them towards potentially getting a pay increase

Since when was college education such a cut throat business, hurting everyone else including the student just so that you can "be on top"?

Advice to Management

Remember that we are real people, with real hearts, and real families that see us cry on a daily basis coming home from this wretched workplace simply because we are unable to meet our weekly "sales goals" of enrolling a certain number of new students every week. Unfortunately, we can't do anything about it because it's hard for people that even have their degrees to find other work, so we're forced to drag ourselves into work every day hoping that it won't be the last. Yet, we're supposed to convince new students that this college education will improve their unemployment standing? My children are seeing this effect in me, and I'm losing my family because of this unhappiness, just because Ashford and Bridgepoint Education wants more and more money.

"Don't work here"

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in San Diego, CA

Pros

Co Workers that's about it .

Cons

Terrible managment and very negative toward everyone. Not good enough pay for what you put up with . If you like long hours and stressful work and negative managers micromanaging you this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Take some courses on Leadership

"If You Have No Conscience This Is The Place For You!"

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in San Diego, CA

Pros

Starting Salary
    Initial Training Session
    Cafeteria
    Benefits
    Cheer Leading Sessions are fun to observe
    Attempting to help students make it through one of their lessons

Cons

You are not hired to enroll students to offer them a chance at a higher standard of living or even a better life as you are told during the interview process and during training. Rather you are here to perform hardcore telemarketing to non-qualified internet leads to people that thought they were applying for a job; but did not have the know how to exit the advertisement screen. This for profit institution is not interested in education; but in targeting the disadvantaged/lower echelon of the working class such as single moms to bring in the Federal Student Loan monies to enhance their bottom line on Wall Street. The goal is to get them to accept the federal student loan money, keep them in class for 5 weeks, and move on to the next victim which is why they have one of the highest drop out rates and federal student loan default rates. Ask them how many people actually graduate!

Advice to Management

All the PACS in the world will not save you from the disgrace of the information coming out of the Senate hearings about this institution!

"Glorified Telemarketer"

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA

Pros

You can wear jeans to work.

Cons

Expected to make hundreds of calls per day. This is constantly the "what have you done for me lately" mentality from management.
    Company has awful morals.

Advice to Management

Quit micromanaging and using fear and intimidation to increase production.

"Overall I was really frustrated with my work experience as I felt like a telemarketer and felt stressed over my numbers."

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA

Pros

Great people to work with
    Things have changed a little since I was there
    Sometimes get to really help people

Cons

Sales environment (hands down)
    Leads are not "warm" there are 6-8 different schools calling..... just go on monster but-don't-put-your-phone-number-then-you'll-see-what-I-mean
    Frustrating

Advice to Management

Stop only praising people when they get students and then blow them off when they're not getting them

"high schoolers selling education/student loans."

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in San Diego, CA

Pros

Getting hired is easy, you are paid a decent wage when hired, benefits package is good.

Cons

If you don't make your numbers on your review every 6 months, you can take an insane paycut, $15K a year for example.

Advice to Management

Joke.

"What they say in training and what they do on the floor are totally opposite!"

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO

Pros

If you are just out of school and want to start your professional career, think that making between 37,000-39,000 a year is "a lot of money" and can put up with micro-management, and want to get free education to complete your degree or work on your Master's, then Ashford University could be a good fit for you.

Cons

They will tell you that this is not a sales job. Don't be fooled, it is! They will tell you that you should build trust and rapport with your students on the phone, and help them to determine that they should attend Ashford University. The truth is, once you have been on the floor for more than a week you will quickly see that it is high pressure, glorified telemarketing. There is no coherance between training and the floor. You might as well get right on the phones and avoid training all toghether because your manger will even tell you to pretend like the things that you heard in training will not allow your to be a successful Admissions Councilor. They say that they would like to be the best place to work in Denver. If that is the case, they have a long way to go and hopefully will figure i out soon before they saturate the their market for potential employees. If you believe that you are an outside the box thinker, are results driven, and want to be successful, you will be pushed down and treated like dirt or you will just quit and they will not care because they hire 50-60 new employees every month. This is a revolving door company, a meat market where people are dispensible. The only thing that they care about is that you make 200-500 dials a day and try your best to prey on people and have them start school right away so that Ashford can cash in on Title IV funding. Why else would their classes start every Tuesday rather than on a semester to semester basis? This is so that their students have little to no time at all to change their mind before being obligated to pay for the classes they are taking. If you are told by a student that they can not start right away but, are willing to start classes in 10-30 days, you are told to move on and touch base with that student later when they are able to start, and move on to the next student who you can high pressure into starting this or next week. If you are lucky, the student who you were told to follow up with will not be reassigned to another councilor by then. Don't let them fool you this job is NOT customer service, it's Sales,Telemarketing, head hunting, and hardcore manipulation.

Advice to Management

Get with the training department, get on the same page and allow the process that is taught in training to be the cornerstone of the way you do business. This will make you a more reputable company and will allow you to achieve your goal of being a preferred employer in the Denver area. Treat your employees like professionals, not high school students and stop micromanaging them.

"Stressful and often humiliating."

Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in San Diego, CA

Pros

Good first job for college graduates who are comfortable in a competitive corporate culture. The starting pay and benefits are very competitive and as an employee, you are able to attend Ashford University on the company's dime.

Cons

You are treated like sheep and expected to act like one. This is not the place for independent thinkers and those would like to be treated with respect and dignity. You have to check your dignity at the door. Management keeps you in the dark and lies to you more often than not.

Advice to Management

Start treating the employees like adults and stop the micro-managing. If employees are allowed to think for themselves, the company will not collapse. The current practice of hiring boatloads of trainees and then not treating most people well enough to consider a long career there will eventually catch up with the company.

"I've worked for 30 years (started when I was 14) and this is BY FAR the worst place I've ever worked."

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO

Pros

Benefits are good, but you have to wait three months to get them.

Cons

People are promoted because they excelled in their jobs, not because they are good managers. I say promote the employees with skills, but please, please, please, give them some management training. Ashford University preys upon uneducated people in a low socioeconomic class. They promise them that everything will be better with a college degree. IF, they finish school with Ashford, they will have $50,000 more debt and will still likely have the same opportunities in the town in which they live. Ashford tells it's employees that they are working "warm" leads, but that is crap. You are cold-calling. NO QUESTION! You will spend day after day after day calling people that don't want to talk to you. You go through 2 weeks of training and then when you get to the "floor", you're told to forget EVERYTHING you learned in training. Why train then? I was not fired from this job, I chose to leave. I'm sure I could've stayed and even become a manager, but I just couldn't do it. I felt dirty working here. You will too if you go to work for Ashford!

Advice to Management

Get some management training! PLEASE! You don't know the first thing about coaching your employees! Another piece of advice, give your employees some praise. They work hard and deserve it!

"Terrible"

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA

Pros

Some decent co-workers, the opportunity for overtime, great benefits and decent starting salary. Also, when times are good, times are good.

Cons

The fact that it's a sales job and they won't admit it.
    The complete lack of respect and basic human decency.
    The constant cycling of managers.

Advice to Management

Please, please, please learn to respect your employees and show them some type of dignity. If you don't you are no longer going to have employees to kick around.