Ashford University Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ashford University President Richard L. Pattenaude
Richard L. Pattenaude

Pros
  • Great people within the organization (in 48 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits, solid training program (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a high pressure work environment with little job security (in 26 reviews)

• HIgh Pressure to client and employees (in 25 reviews)

1. "Soul sucking"

Pros

Training and pay were above average considering that they don't require higher education.

Cons

The company is sketchy, a friend of mine was fired while on maternity leave and the company got away with it on a technicality. The sales teams also encourage staff to enroll students under false pretenses. In addition I was denied any time off for my wedding because it was in August and they said the time was too difficult.

Advice to Management

Go through compliance training again, there is an obvious disconnect between what is said in sales training and what sales managers are telling their new sales staff.

2. "Stressful at times but I liked it"

Former Employee - Student Advisor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Student Advisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great colleagues, always willing to help each other out, made lasting friends, great pay but was not equal across the board as I was grandfathered in at a higher salary. Good benefits and experience which helped me land a promotion at another school. Despite hurdles, they are at least trying to move in the right direction especially for online education.

Cons

Hard push for numbers which sometimes are not within your control. If you can survive admissions then you can survive pretty much any working environment. Upper management is quick to implement large scale changes without fully vetting them which can lead to lower level employees scrambling to clean up the mess.

Advice to Management

Same as any other large organization, listen to those who deal with the day to day of the job and value their opinions. Not sure if they still do mass layoffs but if so then they need to lay off of it.

3. "Enrollment Services Advisor"

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Denver, CO

I worked at Ashford University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ashford University has great leadership and an extremely through training program. There's a high calibre of people that work there, which helps to foster the culture and fun environment. As a plus, the education benefit allows you to obtain a degree virtually free.

Cons

There's not enough higher level positions available for the large population of advisors to work towards. The University did away with annual raises, but not annual performance evaluations. Without additional incentives, it's hard to push toward high goals month by month.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to develop more intermediary positions, and design some sort of career track for your hard working employees.

5. "Love the People and the Students"

I worked at Ashford University full-time

Pros

I was in an Administrative Role and loved my job. The people I met and worked with I am still friends with today. The benefits were great and events were top notch.

Cons

Low pay and did not appreciate their employees

6. "Run and Run Fast!!"

I have been working at Ashford University (More than 5 years)

Pros

They attempt to provide a quality education and do give consistent pay raises.

Cons

Management is either hands off or micromanagement, plus they have clicks and if you are not in a click then you are horrible person. Students are treated like Gods and professors are treated poorly. Professors have advanced degrees and been working professionals, but are treated like uneducated entry level workers. Pay is low for the demand of work they require. Students are allowed to bully professors, so there is no support for faculty. If you make a miss step, be prepared to get into trouble. Students are allowed excuses, but don't have a life as an employee. You will make less than minimum wage as a professional for the demand of the amount of work. Their tools are cumbersome and seriously not needed. Turnitin takes almost 10 minutes to load and grading rubrics are inflated to give students better grades than earned. Too many people in the classroom, which at most colleges is the professors, but at Ashford it is everyone elses and no one considers FERPA violations by everyone being in the classroom. The standards for what happens in the classroom changes and no one communicates the information.

Advice to Management

Take the education you provide students and live it! Set an example and quit micromanaging. They teach marketing, but do not understand how to use social media. They teach leadership, but focus on transactional and dictatorship.

7. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - University Advisor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - University Advisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience helping others achieve their lifelong goal of completing their college education! Excellent opportunities for upward mobility, significantly improve one's sales skills, develop greater relationship building skills with students, and my education was paid for.

Cons

From my perspective, there was not a consistency with the management team. In other words I worked for many different managers during my career there. Also, toward the end of my career I did not feel stable in my position due to the financial stability of the company.

Advice to Management

Use positive reinforcement when speaking with employees, and greater income potential for employees that started with the company post 2012.

8. "Adjunct Associate Faculty"

Current Employee - Online Faculty in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Online Faculty in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Ashford University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

While the university is for-profit, it seems committed to good education and a good atmosphere. Online adjunct faculty receive good support and attention. You are not left to fend for yourself. the company has a good, serious culture and atmosphere.
    the work is steady. There is no suspense because you now you will always teach the next class and the next, year-round, if you do a competent job.

Cons

The course material is so basic, it is borderline dumb. And it is STILL a challenge for students. If you get real strict with grading, the students have emotional breakdowns.

Also, the amount of work is not commensurate with the pay. You are required to give detailed feedback for each discussion post every week. And thew grading. The pay is peanuts in comparison.

Advice to Management

Please pay us more. We have terminal degrees. We need to be paid more than burger flippers.

9. "The worst kind of inconsistency."

Former Employee - ESA in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - ESA in Denver, CO

I worked at Ashford University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay and benefits are both good. Solid 401(k) plan. Awesome co-workers.

Cons

Literally everything else. Every level of management spews different lies to the people below them just to pretend like what they are doing actually helps people. This is a for-profit online university that targets poor, uneducated people in the hopes that they can be tricked into spending over $12,000 per year for an education that probably won't help them in the first place.

Advice to Management

Get on the same page. Every single team manager does something different and when you bounce ESA's around from team to team you can't expect them to just drop everything their previous manager taught to learn something completely different for a new manager. You treat your employees as well as the people they are trying to enroll as numbers and it needs to stop.

10. "Lasted 4 years there- whew!"

I worked at Ashford University full-time

Pros

Salary level was good for type of job.

Cons

Frequent layoffs. Upper management did not seem to care about the staff.It was a really cool place to work before they went public then everything changed.

Advice to Management

None. They are too far gone.

11. "Admissions Counselor"

I worked at Ashford University full-time

Pros

Excellent co-workers, with backgrounds ranging from Wall Street, real estate, K-12 teachers, sales and retail managers, licensed clinical social workers and therapists/doctorate-level psychologists... Economy drove us to this. So we try our best to make a difference. And they blast hip hop music and ring bells when students recruited by phone are ambushed to fill out the FAFSA. Especially veterans with the GI Bill. Oops, that's negative, but you're treated like Jesus H if you have good numbers. And some student's lives are actually changed for the positive!

Cons

Many of us clung to the idea of helping "perfect fit" students connect to the distance-learning for-profit programs but several levels of management listen in in real time to make sure you're being shady. Shady but avoiding the technical legal regulations. There's even a full-time "quality assurance department" to make sure we follow the rules but stay shady. It's now illegal to punish or reward people for enrollment/taking out federal student loans-folks (they used to earn over six-figures commission), but they make people go to pep-rally type meetings to brainwash. Plus you have a lot of good benefits.

Advice to Management

...well, many of you have your hearts in the right place, and could lose your own housing and food and stuff if you stop drinking the cool aid, so who am I to judge. Plus a large portion were laid off to avoid the company experiencing government sanctions, so I guess I'm speaking for you. Most middle management are as wonderful as you can be. But the lawbreakers above you...